PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes if you think about the 2 goals we scored in Carolina, it was a quick point shot with a tip in front of the net. 

We are going for the Ovechkin cross seam one timers but that's hard to do when the pk is cheating and playing up pressure. 

I don't know why we keep trying to force it. 

They need to stop with this perfect shot perfect pass crap and just throw everything at the net.. it’s not surprising that almost 95% of the top goal scorer in the league are all volume shooters for a reason it’s great we are shooting at 13-14% as a team and other teams shooting at around 10%.. but say the other team ends up with 30 shots and we have 20 shots coz we looking for the perfect shot.. the other team ends up at 3 goals we end up at 2.8 statistically say volume shooting is better.. it also tires out the other team and punish them for blocking shots. Obviously I don’t mean just throw everything at the net from perimeter.. also quicker movement on the pp opens the shooting lane more.. they are so focus on passing without pace it gives so much time for the pk to adjust and block the shooting lane 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Boston, Colorado, and Vegas are the top contenders and Canucks lost quite badly against these 3 teams 

CAR, FLD, NYR, DAL (TO can suck eggs)  and we've got revenge games left.    As for Boston, they've really padded their stats with loser points and gimmick hockey.    That stuff isn't added to your point total in the post season.    Puts them right there with the group below them.   Not sure why excuses can be made either way.   Our record against top teams, isn't terrible, as was pointed out, it's not bad.    Wonder what these other  teams record, looks like against top teams?    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Lets be honest, Petey is just entering his prime, while Miller will be leaving his... They've been scoring at almost same pace...

It sucks we lost, and Petey had a poor game, it happens...

Fact is, Canucks are now considered top dogs in the NHL and teams are bringing their A games, when they are playing us...

At least the boys will now need to learn to fight back, and stand tall... 

It could be a blessing in disguise... of course only if they prevail and learn to stand tall in the face or adversity 🙂

Yep.   Also, I really doubt this team is going on a losing streak.   They've shown their mettle in that regard, when Soucy first went down without Zadarov.    Two games twice so far.   Not sure we should expect this team to win every game against the best teams in the league.   There are few in the history of the NHL, that have done that.      Boston is coming off one of the best seasons ever, and like the Wings, lost in the first round to what was considered, a middling team (Detroit even worse, a below average team).   

Wasn't our night, or one of our better performances.   Re-set, and get ready for the next one.   Tough to have a short term memory as a fan.    Get it was Boston.   We get them again in a couple weeks at home.    Revenge is a meal best served with a blow-out infront of our fans. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno how i feel about this game. we are now 1-3-1 against the big fast teams vegas dallas colorado boston and got our face punched in by vegas colorado and boston.. but then again we 2-0 florida and 1-0-1 against ranger. we are due for a dud is not an excuse for this poor showing from the top to the bottom of this lineup.. the top PP is awful they shouldn't be passing the puck back and forth in slow motion if they are going to use a forward at the defenceman position.. passing the puck so many times is bound to turn the puck over and have a forward back as a defence.. they are just playing with fire.. but they won't change.. they'll continue this style of PP.. we have one of the slowest if not the slowest looking PP in the league always looking for the perfect pass perfect shot.. instead of the quick movement get it on net and play for the rebound tiring the pk out.. 

And yet, something works .....

NHL Stats - Team Offense Power Play2023-2024

2023-2024
Team GPG SPG PCT. PPG PP PP%
Tampa Bay Tampa Bay 3.40 29.75 11.44 48 160 30.00
Carolina Carolina 3.38 32.96 10.25 47 168 27.98
Edmonton Edmonton 3.46 33.72 10.25 38 142 26.76
NY Rangers NY Rangers 3.24 31.12 10.40 41 154 26.62
Toronto Toronto 3.45 33.10 10.42 38 143 26.57
Boston Boston 3.45 30.04 11.49 40 157 25.48
Vancouver Vancouver 3.71 27.88 13.29 42 166 25.30
New Jersey New Jersey 3.45 31.27 11.03 36 145 24.83
Colorado Colorado 3.73 32.02 11.65 47 195 24.10

And we barely make the top 20 in SHGA ...

2023-24 NHL Team Short-Handed Goals Against Leaders

SHGA Rank Team SHGA
1st Florida Panthers 8
2nd Carolina Hurricanes 8
3rd Buffalo Sabres 8
4th Detroit Red Wings 7
5th Calgary Flames 7
6th Montreal Canadiens 7
7th Minnesota Wild 7
8th Colorado Avalanche 6
9th Toronto Maple Leafs 6
10th New Jersey Devils 6
11th Arizona Coyotes 6
12th San Jose Sharks 6
13th New York Rangers 5
14th Los Angeles Kings 5
15th St. Louis Blues 5
16th Pittsburgh Penguins 5
17th Seattle Kraken 5
18th Chicago Blackhawks 5
19th Vancouver Canucks 4
20th Edmonton Oilers 4
21st Tampa Bay Lightning 4

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

I stopped watching after 4-0.

I just watched the highlights. 

I'd have to agree with RT. we gave them 4 goals... 

1st goal came out of miscommunication. Someone needed to tell Demmer to reverse. EL was expecting reverse and that's why he got to the boards late. Doesn't excuse the other 2 guys (Miller and EP) for watching Marchand have a free skate in front of the net. 

The entire team sucked but let's call a spade a spade. 

EP needs to pick it up. He's not generating offense but now, his defense is suspect. I would say he was responsible or partially responsible for all 4 goals. 

Even 2nd goal. Miller made a bad turnover but EP was still back there. He wasn't moving his legs. Heinen is a fast skater but so is EP. Heinen should not be walking EP like that. I may expect that on a Juulsen but EP was moving his legs at half the speed of Heinen. Heinen looked like the all star there. 

The crazy thing is, he's making defense errors that used to never happen. Most of it comes from lack of effort. 

The 3rd goal.. EP. Lost the draw and got to Pasta a split second late. I'd give him a pass on that one. It was more unlucky than anything... 

The last goal. Again this was on EP. Went out of his lane to take a guy who Myers was already engaged on and left his man. To make matters worse, again he stopped moving his legs and let his check beat him to the net. 

Garlands line was the best but even Miller's line created about 4-5 quality chances.  I don't know. If EP's line generated anything... 

This team needs EP to play better. He can't be a liability on both ends of the ice. 

I would say this was his worst game of the season. 

In my mind, the guy is worth 9m tops the way he is playing. I dunno if he deserves to be the top paid guy on this team... 

I would strongly consider trading him if he wants more than 10m.

Maybe he knows this too and that's why he's cheating to generate more offense. Good thing we have RT. No way RT would put up. With undisciplined hockey for individual goals. 

EP has seemed to have lost his spark. Even when he was in the worst slump of his life playing under TG and BB, his effort was always high and he was never a defensive liability. I have no idea what's going on with him. 

• Cheers 3

Sucks but nothing wrong with getting a good slap now and then to let the club know they have a lot of work to do. Hopefully the Nucks have a chip on their shoulder for the rest of the year. Could actually be a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, WillisD said:

Sucks but nothing wrong with getting a good slap now and then to let the club know they have a lot of work to do. Hopefully the Nucks have a chip on their shoulder for the rest of the year. Could actually be a good thing. 

Agreed. 

I believe we have a really good team. Yesterday's performance is not who we are. I'm hopeful they bounce back and go on another run capped with a nice revenge game against the bruins in a couple of weeks. 

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Could not care less about the loss. We wont win them all and Boston is a strong opponent.

This team better be focused on winning the cup. The last trade shows we are all-in. We are going for it. Iron out the wrinkles now.

What I do care about is how we lost. We must show more pride and push back. Way too easy on the Bruins physically. 

Do better Nucks.

I would guess that the players agree with you internally.  That's what I love about the team this year.  Whenever they have a bad performance it seems to piss them off.  I believe several teams have been on the receiving end of our wrath.  

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

2023-2024

SHGA Rank Team SHGA
1st Florida Panthers 8
3rd Buffalo Sabres 8
4th Detroit Red Wings 7
5th Calgary Flames 7
6th Montreal Canadiens 7
7th Minnesota Wild 7
8th Colorado Avalanche 6
10th New Jersey Devils 6
11th Arizona Coyotes 6
12th San Jose Sharks 6
13th New York Rangers 5
14th Los Angeles Kings 5
15th St. Louis Blues 5
17th Seattle Kraken 5
19th Vancouver Canucks 4
20th Edmonton Oilers 4

Let’s not pretend our pp stat isnt greatly inflated by going 16 for 27 in 5 games against Edmonton islanders sharks and Columbus 

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

2023-2024

SHGA Rank Team SHGA
1st Florida Panthers 8
3rd Buffalo Sabres 8
4th Detroit Red Wings 7
5th Calgary Flames 7
6th Montreal Canadiens 7
7th Minnesota Wild 7
8th Colorado Avalanche 6
10th New Jersey Devils 6
11th Arizona Coyotes 6
12th San Jose Sharks 6
13th New York Rangers 5
14th Los Angeles Kings 5
15th St. Louis Blues 5
17th Seattle Kraken 5
19th Vancouver Canucks 4
20th Edmonton Oilers 4

Our "lame" power play, without checking, is right there with the "lame" 2011 teams as well.    Special teams of course are a crucial aspect to a teams fortunes, much more so in the regular season as far as padding stats go.   The frequency, will go down as a series and an individual game in the series plays out.   Whistles get put away in the third period with close games.     

Given how close most teams really are, it also comes down to if it's been on or off lately.   

For sure it can be a difference maker, especially for a team like EDM, but what's a 5% difference really going to be?  Most of the game is played 5 x 5, and that's our bread and butter. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Let’s not pretend our pp stat isnt greatly inflated by going 16 for 27 in 5 games against Edmonton islanders sharks and Columbus 

Or 2 for 3  vs Carolina 3 days ago.

Anyone can cherry pick 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Or 2 for 3  vs Carolina 3 days ago.

Anyone can cherry pick 

Going 2 for 3 is normal happens once every while. We are averaging what? Going 1/4 for 25%? Except we scored 0 ppl goals in 50% of the games we played so far 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Our "lame" power play, without checking, is right there with the "lame" 2011 teams as well.    Special teams of course are a crucial aspect to a teams fortunes, much more so in the regular season as far as padding stats go.   The frequency, will go down as a series and an individual game in the series plays out.   Whistles get put away in the third period with close games.     

Given how close most teams really are, it also comes down to if it's been on or off lately.   

For sure it can be a difference maker, especially for a team like EDM, but what's a 5% difference really going to be?  Most of the game is played 5 x 5, and that's our bread and butter. 

I was surprised by the loss as I was sitting at the front of the win bus. As bad as the SH goals were I was hoping for someone to step up as a physical disrupter to hopefully charge the team up. The bloody Bruins circle anyone who looks sideway at their tender. Demko was tapped a couple of times with no pushback. The team needed someone to step up.

On the bright side a set back like last night will kill any idea of 'we're good'. Yes, this team is good but playoffs will take another level up. This club has not experienced that yet.  

• Cheers 3

We have 3 players who can generate 100+ mph slapshots: Petey, Hronek and JT, yet they are raraly used as a PP weapon (4, actually, although the 4th rarely plays.  Linus Karlsson was clocked at 103.4 with his rocket a week ago, per the Barracuda announcers)

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was surprised by the loss as I was sitting at the front of the win bus. As bad as the SH goals were I was hoping for someone to step up as a physical disrupter to hopefully charge the team up. The bloody Bruins circle anyone who looks sideway at their tender. Demko was tapped a couple of times with no pushback. The team needed someone to step up.

On the bright side a set back like last night will kill any idea of 'we're good'. Yes, this team is good but playoffs will take another level up. This club has not experienced that yet.  

Yeah it was baffling to see the Bruins play the same "tough guys" role. Marchand bumping Miller at the bench

The team swarming Garland in front of Ullmark. 

Before, we used to think it's because they had Lucic and Chara. But no, I realized yesterday that team toughness is part of their DNA. I respect that. Hate them but you gotta respect it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

Same could be said with a deep dive into other teams.    Special teams isn't going to make you win or lose most games.   The flip side of this, is despite 16 goals (instead of 7),  we are still on top.    We aren't a team, that feasts on the power play.    Laid an egg last night.   Chaos was bad luck, and allowing two shorties, that was the game.   Sure Yeo or whomever is drawing up the power play, won't be happy about this.   Lindholm will need some time to acclimate, the things been altered.   As far as our 5 x 5 play goes, the stuff that wins teams cups, that's top bar still.   Might not look like it all the time, but our special teams are not the reason we are in the position that we currently are - and they are good enough.  

Im sure other teams in and around where we are, and above us to, have had games where their power play won it for them.   EDM for sure, and COL too.   TB well that's their bread and butter.   Yet Kucherov is an even or maybe even a minus player.    You can take those blowouts as well (EDM and SJ) cut the goal total in half, and we'd still have the best goal differential in the league.    

Why don't we, wait until we play Boston again, WNP at all, and get into our series against Vegas.    We also have one more against EDM.   If we are below .500 against these guys at the end of the season, it's for sure a reasonable thing to be concerned about our cup aspirations.   Dallas IMO, was a bit better than Vegas but lost, Hill won the goalie battle.   CAR, completely outplayed FLD, but couldn't beat Bobrovsky.     That's hockey for you.    Not very often, these days anyways, is the best series the Final.    Last year it was Dallas versus Vegas.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah it was baffling to see the Bruins play the same "tough guys" role. Marchand bumping Miller at the bench

The team swarming Garland in front of Ullmark. 

Before, we used to think it's because they had Lucic and Chara. But no, I realized yesterday that team toughness is part of their DNA. I respect that. Hate them but you gotta respect it. 

To much Irish in Boston. I don't think the Bruins will keep players who aren't willing to get their noses bloodied. Been that way for years. Bruins used to have more size. What I see in them now is more speed. They were actually pretty impressive. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Going 2 for 3 is normal happens once every while. We are averaging what? Going 1/4 for 25%? Except we scored 0 ppl goals in 50% of the games we played so far 

Yeah I think we need to get point shots off more quickly and try tip ins and crash the net. 

Its clear. The scouting report probably says pressure high on the pk and force turnovers. 

The next game , id love for Petey to blast one from the point immediately and get the pk to play more honest. 

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Know that Myers will step his game up.   Think Zadarov will too.  Miller did have a nice clean hit against their Lindholm.   Can bet he won't be sitting on the sidelines.    With Tochett running the show, i'm not expecting a tame performance.    If we go all "full-Horvat" will be completely disappointed in them.    Feel that this teams too tight-nit, to not get into the alley as needed.   Agree we haven't had our mettle tested, aside from a couple vets and when the core was trying to grow some peach fuzz.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

To much Irish in Boston. I don't think the Bruins will keep players who aren't willing to get their noses bloodied. Been that way for years. Bruins used to have more size. What I see in them now is more speed. They were actually pretty impressive. 

Yeah I saw Joshua and the rest of 3rd line along with Miller were ready to play that way but not the entire team. It needs to be those 2 plus Myers, Z, Cole Juulsen leading the way. 

Hughes is a smart captain. I'm sure he's thinking about how he could have led better yesterday. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 2