[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

Just now, Diaspora said:

What is up with all these posts complaining about the little mistakes that happen. our Canucks are in first place in the regular season, and some here expect more of them.... I don't understand the crying over little nothings.
Enjoy this year this season has been amazing!

Yup. We won again! In our season’s lulls we are .500 or better. We are 2-1-1 on this current road trip. We are the Cup favourites!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. We won again! In our season’s lulls we are .500 or better. We are 2-1-1 on this current road trip. We are the Cup favourites!!! 

Well if they come away with the win against Chicago which they should they can make it back to Van and work on things. Just get home.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Canucks are currently ranked 8th in betting odds. Can compete maybe but not THE favorites. 

• Cheers 3

Man, what a relieve that win is. When your team is playing well and leading in the standings expectations to keep winning become that much more elevated.

Happy for the boys and for us fans.

Cheers!

• Cheers 2

Great game by both teams, lots of factors going into this one like down a couple of defencemen, end of a back-to-back, we're looking a bit tired and an early game, but good to find a way to win in a see-saw game. No way the dreadful Caps should push us to our limits like this but here we are.

Our "top line" of Miller, Boeser and Lindholm were trash yet again. I think that's enough of the Lindholm experiment, he has zero chemistry with our stars. Boeser looks neutered out there and Miller isn't impactful at all with Lindholm. Another game where the trade looks horrible. No surprise Huberdeau has almost reverted back to his Florida scoring levels and the Flames are on fire, addition by subtraction. For some reason Lindholm just seems to suck the offence out of his line. Whether that's because he's playing cautiously or prioritising defending, who knows, but he is not a good fit on our top line. If he continues to play like trash though maybe we can re-sign him to what he's playing like - a 5-6M guy. In all seriousness, get him off Miller and Boeser's line. I think he'd do well on his own line but it's just not working with Miller, maybe because they're too similar. They seem to keep trying the old bumper shot play as their only go-to move which hasn't really worked yet.

Petey has come alive playing on his own line again and Hoglander really helps. Suter fits in very well but really Petey and Hogs deserve to play together, their games complement each other's very well. Hoglander was obviously one of our best players, unreal goal and some great forechecks and puck battles below the goal line. Petey does seem to get brushed off the puck too easily, hopefully that's something he can work on with the Sedins. Despite Hoglander being our best player...he has the 2nd lowest ice time after PDG which makes no sense. His game is suited to 2PP and PK, he deserves more of a shot out there, no idea why Tocchet is holding him back and giving plugs more time than him.

Another strong game by Garland, Joshua and Blueger. They have consistently been our best line all year you could argue and you just know they'll be massive in the playoffs. Makes splitting Lindholm onto his own line tricky because you wouldn't dare touch this trio.

Our 4th line were bad tonight, they got hemmed in and shelled defensively, especially Aman. PDG was good but not as good as last game and Mikheyev was useless again. Time for a Mikheyev healthy scratch to be honest and pull a hard-working AHLer in there, unless we want to try Lindholm with him, banish them both to a grinding 4th line.

Fair play to our defence who were really handicapped tonight. Hughes and Hronek played some big minutes two games in a row, they owned the puck a lot tonight and despite not racking up points, really bossed it and controlled the game. Myers and Cole were solid but made a few mistakes here and there, but Juulsen had another strong outing. He can easily play more than 14 minutes a night. Friedman only played 11 minutes which is laughable but probably wise, especially in a tight 3rd period.

Of course hats off to Demko who was outstanding and saved our bacon late in the game several times.

On the whole, we look like a shell of our former selves since Lindholm has come in. Maybe it's the All star break, maybe it's the disruption in chemistry, but something's got to change. Miller and Boeser have been very quiet since Lindholm came in and Petey looks re-energized since leaving his line. Not happy with the immediate effects of the

trade but we've got to try and work with him and get the most out of him. 

• Cheers 2

I think Soucy makes a much bigger difference to this team than most think. They play way better with him in the lineup. 

Ugly game but at least we won.

What does Hoglander need to go to get pp time? I think he’d be great as net front/behind the net. He’s feisty, great at tips, has the hands for in close and will come up with the puck almost every battle. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On a serious note, I said in the GDT that this game was a game I'd absolutely be fine losing based on the level of play they were competing against. They had to earn every inch of ice, Washington was flowing offensively and there we no easy plays to make due to the physicality.

Super stoked we walked away with 2 points. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Great game by both teams, lots of factors going into this one like down a couple of defencemen, end of a back-to-back, we're looking a bit tired and an early game, but good to find a way to win in a see-saw game. No way the dreadful Caps should push us to our limits like this but here we are.

I wonder if the topic of schedules is a talking point by other media folks. Seems to be one for the Canucks. Not just here but also in Sportsnet 650. 

Maybe I will listen to another team's postcast and find out maybe one of the Florida teams.