Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

Is a preseason trade on the horizon for the Vancouver Canucks? According to Canucks insider Rick Dhaliwal of CHEK, they’re working hard to make one happen.

The Canucks are “aggressively trying to make a trade right now,” Dhaliwal said on Monday’s edition of Donnie and Dhali.

“Keep an eye on it, they’re trying to move a body to create cap space. The season is upon us, they’re over the cap,” said Dhaliwal. “There are LTIR candidates, but they also need to move a body. So I think that they are feverishly working the phones right now trying to move a body. So we’ll see how that goes this week.”

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-aggressively-trying-make-trade

Edited by Shekky
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

I didn't run all the numbers like I usually do but I had a thought on what might happen. If we retroactively LTIRed Mikheyev then took Pearson and Poolman off of LTIR then waived a few players we could have enough to sign Bear. Then on the first day of the season we could activate Mikheyev and LTIR Bear and Poolman. I'm not sure if the numbers would work yet.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If they’re working hard to move someone, you’d have to think it’s Myers. 

Are they that high on Juulsen, Woo and McWard?  Would only leave one veteran RHD on the team and yes I know Cole and Soucy can both play the other side.  

Or is part of the effort here to not just move Myers, but replace him? Maybe they offload Myers and make a strong pitch for Pesce or Peeke.  We’d have to give up futures there, but both would look to fit in great and carry less of a hit than Myers.

Would certainly be a bold move. 

Otherwise maybe they’re still kicking the tires on moving a winger.  Maybe more willing after watching the young stars, though that feels like a stretch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

I didn't run all the numbers like I usually do but I had a thought on what might happen. If we retroactively LTIRed Mikheyev then took Pearson and Poolman off of LTIR then waived a few players we could have enough to sign Bear. Then on the first day of the season we could activate Mikheyev and LTIR Bear and Poolman. I'm not sure if the numbers would work yet.

That’s some seriously creative thinking. I’d be all for signing Bear for a year, especially if it somehow helped with the cap.

• Like 1

Pretty much just need to move a winger accounting for some reasonably significant cap space, with a return (or not) that does not bring cap back.

Easier said than done though...

I like the idea of signing a player like Bear to start on LTIR, but I always feel like the Canucks will be the example when the league decides to crack down on such things.

If the Canucks can somehow capitalize on LTIR to make the cap situation work, I am all for it! Play the league for it's rules.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Cheers 1

The easiest contract to trade is Beauville with only one year remaining, or Myers and retain a bit and take nothing back (future considerations) and let Jet woo/julsen step up but both are needing to go if we want an upgrade on long neck. It depends on the camp too if someone steps up big on the right side Mcward/Woo/Julsen but none are gonna just jump in and play significant minutes, Julsen maybe but doubt he's playing with Hughes now.. easiest way to get some cap gone would be to move Beau. Garland has two years left, Boeser same.. it's hard to see a team taking them without serious retention. 

39 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm not sure but I feel like this might not be allowed with regards to Bear. Is it even legal to sign a contract knowing you're going to LITR right off the bat and recovering from surgery?

37 minutes ago, The Duke said:

That’s some seriously creative thinking. I’d be all for signing Bear for a year, especially if it somehow helped with the cap.