The Bear Connoisseur

Last time I saw a bear, it was hanging out on the road as we were returning to our accommodations in Banff.  I think it was Hwy 1A (Bow Valley Parkway).  Wasn't sure if I should try to go around it or wait for it to exit the road; thankfully there were no cars behind me and the bear finally sauntered off unenthusiastically back into the bush off the highway.  🙃

7 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

The one in the front yard not long after 2 this morning...

image.thumb.jpeg.e03106e9c2fde69b8c8b6b68ba995cf1.jpeg

And the young grizzly that's moved into town in one of the subdivisions across the Quesnel River. This is the first time, in all the years I've lived here, that there's been a grizzly actually IN town.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6776cf1779f4956433b5fc6b0b141d6.jpeg

The CO said that they believe there’s 3-4 in town.  That looks to be the smaller of the 2 Adults, the bigger of the 2 actually looks as big as a grizzly and he’s a little more grey. 

The one in your pic, is the teenage bear that got ran off by Mama. 

7 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

And the young grizzly that's moved into town in one of the subdivisions across the Quesnel River. This is the first time, in all the years I've lived here, that there's been a grizzly actually IN town.

had a brief encounter with a black bear mom and cub earlier this year that went fine, but if I ran in to this kid I think I might have an accident. Grizzly's scare the crap out of me. 

• Cheers 3

Pff....Everyone knows about Grizzlies and Pandas. True connoisseurs are up on the Spectacled and Sun bears. They are the sours of the bear world. Did you know that the Spectacled Bear is the last remaining short faced bear? I bet you guys are still drinking IPAs. Once you really get into bear you'll understand. 

10 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

The one in the front yard not long after 2 this morning...

image.thumb.jpeg.e03106e9c2fde69b8c8b6b68ba995cf1.jpeg

That's a brown bear. 

8 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

The CO said that they believe there’s 3-4 in town.  That looks to be the smaller of the 2 Adults, the bigger of the 2 actually looks as big as a grizzly and he’s a little more grey. 

The one in your pic, is the teenage bear that got ran off by Mama. 

Just going by the info we were given. The bear in the first pic is a beautiful black bear...  I've had Mama and her two babies in my back yard and in my apple tree. She hasn't been around for a week or so ever since the cat alarm caught her and the babies moving across the yard.

7 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

CO acknowledged it was a grizzly.

Lol, just being cheeky 😜. I was just trying to bait someone to ask me why? The difference between a brown bear and a grizzly is not visibly distinct as it is essentially based on diet. Grizzly bears are a sub species of brown bear that doesn't have access to marine foods, ie salmon. I am unclear on how far inland a brown bear has to be to be considered a grizzly but I imagine bears in your region have a lot of access to spawning salmon in the fall. Brown bears tend to be larger with the Kodiak being the largest subspecies. 

Just an interesting factoid if you enjoy annoying people at parties and whatnot. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Lol, just being cheeky 😜. I was just trying to bait someone to ask me why? The difference between a brown bear and a grizzly is not visibly distinct as it is essentially based on diet. Grizzly bears are a sub species of brown bear that doesn't have access to marine foods, ie salmon. I am unclear on how far inland a brown bear has to be to be considered a grizzly but I imagine bears in your region have a lot of access to spawning salmon in the fall. Brown bears tend to be larger with the Kodiak being the largest subspecies. 

Just an interesting factoid if you enjoy annoying people at parties and whatnot. 

😄

I had to walk away and read your response again a few times to try and ascertain the tone! I've been away from you guys a long time... gotta get my spidey senses back up to scratch!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

😄

I had to walk away and read your response again a few times to try and ascertain the tone! I've been away from you guys a long time... gotta get my spidey senses back up to scratch!

You're my homie, always know that I come with respect. Just the other day I was just thinking about some of the epic rows you usesld to have with :D. With the forum closing down I was thinking looking for some of that stuff again but I wouldn't know where to start. 

• Haha 1

This big dude seems to think there's some sort of Teddy Bear Picnic happening at Chez Cerridwen. Different bear this morning.... decided to just give the neighbour's garbage (ratchet-strapped shut) can a wack instead of playing driveway hockey with it at 6 am. C'mon snow and colder weather... these guys need to take a long winter's nap!  🐻🐻

image.thumb.png.975159448865967bd943ba1dcd785e75.png

image.thumb.png.fba920faf1aff6b764bbd24b966e0d07.png

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1