[Proposal] Cole + 2nd 2025 for Tanev

title says all.

An aging shot Blocking Dman for an aging shot Blocking Dman. 
we got the better of the too, so the 2nd 2025 says hello.

Cole makes room for Tanman.

When healthy, no logjam in D :

Hughes Tanev

Hronek Soucy

Zadorov Myers

Juulsen.

I really do think we should break the Hughes Hronek pair. 

Thoughts ?

Why do proposals never consider the other team first?  Like, what reason would Calgary have to agree to such a weak return?  You realize they can probably get a first round pick from someone like Toronto, right?  What good is Ian Cole to a team like Calgary?

• Upvote 3

I wonder if we swap Cole for Myers, wonder who has more value? You could argue Myers is younger, producing more points so maybe has more worth going forward for Calgary? Who knows what they want, if they want to still push for the playoffs or just retool/rebuild. If that's the case I think we have to add a prospect otherwise they'd just go for a 1st from another team.

So Myers + 2nd + prospect (Woo?)

Honestly I'd do that. Cole has more value for our playoff push and unlikely to re-sign next year if he's too old. Myers has more value for Calgary because he could re-sign for a 2 year 3-4M deal and replace Tanev to a degree, plus they get a 2nd and another defensive prospect. Seems like a good deal for Calgary. Obviously a 1st straight up would be better but that'll be a late 1st anyway. This way they can still compete now and next year AND get some futures.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev (great shutdown pair)
Soucy - Zadorov (monster physical pair)

Juulsen

That's one very tough defence.

11 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Why do proposals never consider the other team first?  Like, what reason would Calgary have to agree to such a weak return?  You realize they can probably get a first round pick from someone like Toronto, right?  What good is Ian Cole to a team like Calgary?

Could flip him for a 3rd maybe to Toronto? 2nd and 3rds not bad

I don't see how trading Cole + a 2nd for Tanev makes this team better off. + I'm pretty sure towards the deadline one team will be desperate enough to give up their 1st Round Pick to Calgary for Tanev as crazy as that might be..  Especially a GM that might be feeling the pressure for a deep playoff run.. Dallas/Edmonton ect.. I'm just beyond happy it won't be Vancouver!
I don't see the appeal in Tanev.. I would never move a 1st Round Pick even in a weak draft for an aging 34 year old pending UFA who will be 35 by the end of this calendar year.. That's just not smart asset management.. I don't really see how he makes this team better for such a high asking price. He's not a top 5-10 Shutdown Defensemen which would warrant a 1st Round Pick in return.. Tanev has ALOT of miles on him. Let another team overpay for him.

• Cheers 1