Restful schedule for the Canucks in the Pacific.

I can't wait for April 13th when the Canucks play the Oilers.

And if I am counting right, the Canucks face the Knights 3 times and L.A. 4 times.

Right there, that's 8 games out of the remaining 22.

33 minutes ago, DANJR said:

I knew for quite a long time that Edmonton was going to have a tought time later in the Schedule.  Canucks on the other hand are quite the opposite.

Vancouver has 22 games left, Oilers 27.

Vancouver's schedule is so light compared to the other three teams chasing them in the Pacific.  Vegas, LA and Edmonton.

How does the rest come into play?  Well Vancouver has 10 2day+ breaks on the remainder of their schedule.  Nine 2 days off, one 3 days off.  We have one back to back.
They are going to be a very well rested team for the playoffs.  Rest also means less likelihood of getting injured.

Vegas has 6 2 day breaks and only one back to back.  They are in the middle of their last Eastern road trip

LA has  six 2 day breaks, and three back to back.  They have one Central road trip to go.

Oilers have three 2 day breaks and one 3 day break.  They have 6 back to back games, and two Eastern road trips.  They finish the schedule with 5 games in 7 nights.
If you look at thier schedule they are essentially playing every other night until the season ends.

Edmonton has the games in hand, but will take a serious hit with all those back to backs.  Oilers are 2-4 in back to backs.  Those 2 wins came during their winning streak.

I think all the teams strength of opponents is pretty close.  So all advantages go towards the Canucks for the balance of the season.

Sidenote:  DeSmith needs 3 games so he and Demko can qualify for the Jennings.  He will play one of the back to backs.  Probably the Coyotes.  Then again a week later Coyotes again.
I could see him playing the last game of the year versus Winnipeg, unless playoff positioning is on the line. 

Quality of competition is tough for the Canucks but nice that the games are spread out.  Couldn't ask for a better way to prep for the playoffs.

I vaguely remember Cory Schneider getting thrown into partial games near the end of the season just to qualify for the Jennings.  Although I don't see the Canucks winning that one, not that their goals against are bad, but Winnipeg has 33 goals against fewer.  It'll be tough to catch them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

I can't wait for April 13th when the Canucks play the Oilers.

And if I am counting right, the Canucks face the Knights 3 times and L.A. 4 times.

Right there, that's 8 games out of the remaining 22.

That's our third last game of the season. If everything goes right and we have the West locked up by then, I bet we sit our top guys for these games. No point risking injury for a game that doesn't matter to us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The Canucks have faced an extremely tough schedule since early February and have

had far more travel time and little practice.  The last few games, they looked tired and slow.

The remaining games are either at home, or within their conference, which will reverse

what we saw in the previous 3 weeks.  With plenty of rest and practices, I think they

will play well, and the return of Josh and Soucy will really fire them up.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

That's our third last game of the season. If everything goes right and we have the West locked up by then, I bet we sit our top guys for these games. No point risking injury for a game that doesn't matter to us. 

It's a double edged sword.  Rest too much, and you lose any momentum you may have going into the post-season.  It's one of the reasons so many #1 seeds get upset.

• Vintage 1

I doubt we'll sit players but it'd be nice to not flog our stars 20-30 minutes a night and give our depth more of a chance, maybe even some AHL call ups and spread the minutes. We can't keep playing Hughes close to 30 minutes and expect him to be fresh, we've already seen some cracks in his play of late.

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I doubt we'll sit players but it'd be nice to not flog our stars 20-30 minutes a night and give our depth more of a chance, maybe even some AHL call ups and spread the minutes. We can't keep playing Hughes close to 30 minutes and expect him to be fresh, we've already seen some cracks in his play of late.

Keep in mind, the team is only permitted 4 AHL callups following the trade deadline.

Here's the issue

The Canucks have played down to teams a fair amount this season.  Winning games we really shouldn't have based on stellar goaltending or outright insane scoring in the first period or last.

Hungry teams have been a serious issue for the Canucks and I feel that there's a risk we're the riser and faller the league sees every season.

Won't matter until the playoffs start but I guess we'll see

4 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I dunno, seems to fly directly in the face of the rest of tocc's methodology thus far. 

I'll believe it when I see it. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Here's the issue

The Canucks have played down to teams a fair amount this season.  Winning games we really shouldn't have based on stellar goaltending or outright insane scoring in the first period or last.

Hungry teams have been a serious issue for the Canucks and I feel that there's a risk we're the riser and faller the league sees every season.

Won't matter until the playoffs start but I guess we'll see

I don't like it when people say a team only won because of their great goaltending.  Canucks

happen to have a core player that happens to be a goalie.  How is that different that saying

other teams only win because they have a franchise or generational goal scorer?

W-hippy, do you not agree that the dreadful schedule they have had since early Feb has had

a negative effect on their game?

Edited by higgyfan