[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

My take:

1. According to my calculations (based on Cap Friendly and assuming Rathbone is waived to Abby and Wolanin is on the big team), the Canucks should now be fully cap compliant with a 23-man roster to start the season. This assumes that Poolman is on LTIR and Mikheyev is on the active roster. 

2. Sorry to see Tanner go, but he was the odd man out. He is past his prime and his cap hit was too high for what he brings to the table relative to other Canuck wingers. 

3. DeSmith is probably an upgrade over Martin as the backup although there will be competition in pre-season. In my view, it never made sense for Silovs to be the backup as he needs to play, so Abby is the right spot for him. Now that the Canucks have an affiliation with Kalamazoo again, their extra goalie (or goalies) can play there.

4.Don't like losing the 3rd round pick but it is probably worth it. I think this is a good trade. 

5. I wish Tanner good luck in Montreal.  

I agree with everything!

Pretty happy with this trade and wish tanner well he’s a great guy and played hard for us

• Cheers 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think it boils down to most people expecting some sort of cost, we had to move cap 

It was never likely to dump a medium to larger sized hit without giving something up 

Just so happens we got a more established NHL backup to boot

yep. DeSmith under the watch of our goalie whisperer might pay off nicely. 

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think the forward that you’re missing is Mikheyev.  They squeezed him in to IR (not LTIR) down near the bottom but his cap hit should be factored in.  So it’s all good?

Plus injuries will happen in preseason but looks like we are set! 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Pearson will be on LTIR? 

The Habs are trying to get under the cap with everyone including Price so that they can abuse the difference between in and out of season LTIR. Rebuilding team using leverage to maximize cap space and the opportunity to weaponize it at the deadline. Oooohh that sounds niiiiice. He is going to be in the lineup on day one along with Price. 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I am not. He is a vet who was solid has won cups and will have value at the deadline and if he has a good year will get them another 3rd or even a second in a package. 
For a team that is rebuilding and had 4 NHL goalies that is a solid pickup without the 3rd we threw in. 
Plus Boeser’s contract is too big to move, we tried for a year.  Nobody wants Garland at that money and length.  Beau had a hot streak with EP but also wasn’t a great defensive player and really has yet to show that he can be a goal scorer at the NHL level. 
I like the add of DeSmith. A solid backup was on my wish list for the off-season.  With Demko you always have a niggling concern about health in the back of your mind. 

Pearson is a middle six forward who brings an element of size, will mix it up in scrums and fight occasionally, put up complimentary offense, and who brings a defensive conscience to any line he's on

If Montreal is out of it near the deadline, and that's likely, he's probably a guy they look to flip 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

Damn, I'm disappointed to learn the reason DeSmith left the University of New Hampshire in the NCAA wasn't because he got a NHL deal but because he was arrested for domestic violence and accepted a plea bargain. After this, he never played a game with the team again and signed an ECHL deal. He actually missed the 2014-2015 season because of his charges.

https://www.uscho.com/2014/11/19/desmith-no-longer-on-new-hampshire-roster/

Ugh.

If we send deSmith to Abbotsford and keep Martin as the backup how much on the cap do we save?  I think it’s about 500 k. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The Habs are trying to get under the cap with everyone including Price so that they can abuse the difference between in and out of season LTIR. Rebuilding team using leverage to maximize cap space and the opportunity to weaponize it at the deadline. Oooohh that sounds niiiiice. He is going to be in the lineup on day one along with Price. 

Haberoos are a joke. They have no elite talent. Pearson would be their top winger if he gets healthy. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Montreal could end up losing guys like Ylonen or Pezzetta to waivers claims now.  Hopefully Hughes has another move lined up 

I take it you're a Habs fan, Q? Haven't paid much attention to them the past few years as they rebuild. I know this is just one possible set of lines, but that's actually a strikingly fun, young top-6 and that veteran third line can probably handle primary shutdown / defensive duties. Looks alright to me! I hope the guys in the second line all have successful years.

I have heard that Josh Anderson is a pretty divisive player though - speed and size but not a ton of smarts? I'm sure that Suzuki can make him (or anyone else) look excellent, though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So now that the cap pressure is off, do we see Myers to Buffalo? :hurhur:

I'd be surprised, I think he stays, I don't see there being much of a demand for him at his cap hit regardless of actual dollars paid 

It's a one year deal, I think it'd be shortsighted to give up anything of value to move him when at worst he's a guy with top 4D experience who can step up in a pinch, assuming he doesn't start in the top 4 

I suspect he'd do just fine in a smaller role, and on a team more committed to defense, which we should be if we want to make the playoffs 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1