Looking for participants for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season to transition into a promotion and relegation style hockey pool league

Hi everyone,

For this hockey pool, I'm starting to look for participants for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season early, as it can be pretty challenging to get participants.   

We're looking to fill up to 28 spots for for the next NHL Regular Season (2024-2025 NHL Regular Season).  This is a relatively simple hockey pool in that there are no trades and no roster changes, and that only the basic statistics will be counted towards points.  

There will be two leagues of up to 14 participants (General Managers or GMs) each for a total of up to 28 GMs in two leagues running simultaneously for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season.  The cost to join this hockey pool will be about $5.00 CAD and this will cover the cost of the medals and the cost to use the website for the hockey pool.  

At the end of 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season, the top 14 GMs from both of the two leagues combined, will qualify for the Tier 1 Fantasy Hockey Pool league for the following NHL regular season (2025-2026 NHL Regular Season)!! Do you have what it takes to get to the Tier 1 League??

Medals will be awarded to the top 3 places in each of the two leagues. So a total of 6 medals will be awarded (2 Gold, 2 Silver, and 2 Bronze medals).

I attached pictures of the medals from this season and the previous two seasons.  

The other teams who do not qualify for the Tier 1 league will be allocated to the Tier 2 league for the 2025-2026 NHL Regular Season. And from then on this hockey pool will be run as a promotion and relegation style league.

The object of this fantasy hockey pool is to earn as many points as possible from your selected team, which are composed of NHL players (Forwards, Defensemen, and Goalies). Each GM in this hockey pool will take turns drafting their players in a "snake" style order format for 24 rounds of drafting. Therefore, each GM will have 24 NHL players on their team.

The winner of the hockey pool is the GM whose team has the highest point total at the end of the 2024-2025 NHL Regular season in their league. This hockey pool does NOT include the 2024-2025 NHL Playoffs.

On your team you MUST draft:

1) MANDATORY 2 GOALIES - You are not allowed to draft any more or any less than 2 goalies
2) MINIMUM of 2 DEFENSEMEN - You can draft more than 2 defensemen if you want, but you MUST have at least 2 defensemen
3) The rest of your players are ANY types of forwards - Can be any type of forward (center, left and right wing)

Points are awarded as follows

Forwards and defensemen:
Goal = 1 point
Assist = 1 point

Goalies:
Win = 2 points
Win with a shutout = 3 points (Therefore a shutout by itself = 1 point)
Goal by a Goalie = 1 point
Assist by a Goalie = 1 point

For your 24 player team, ONLY YOUR TOP 22 PLAYERS' (INCLUDING GOALIES) POINTS WILL BE COUNTED FOR YOUR TOTAL POINT SCORE. THEREFORE, YOUR 2 LOWEST PLAYERS' POINTS WILL NOT COUNT FOR YOUR TOTAL POINT SCORE. The reason for this is to give your team a break if you have one or two major injuries to your players, or one or two major underperformers on your team.

This hockey pool will be conducted via a slow draft online. A slow draft is a draft that takes place over a longer period of time (more than 2 weeks before the NHL Season starts), so that the hockey pool GMs can pick their players on their own schedule.

Once your team has been selected after the slow draft is completed, your team is set for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season. Therefore, there are no trades or roster changes in this hockey pool.

The following NHL Regular season (2025-2026 NHL Regular Season) will be the first season that this hockey pool will be run as a promotion and relegation league with Tier 1 and Tier 2 Leagues. So at the conclusion of the 2025-2026 NHL regular season, the bottom 5 teams in Tier 1 will then be relegated to Tier 2 the next NHL Regular Season (2026-2027 NHL Regular Season), and the top 5 teams from Tier 2 will be promoted to Tier 1 for the 2026-2027 NHL Regular Season).

If you are interested in joining or want to know more details please let me know by responding here or by messaging me, or you can also email me at neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com .

Thanks a lot and I hope to see you in this hockey pool!

Sincerely, 

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool

Neon Buzzard 9 Hockey Pool (2023-2024) - Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals.jpg

Neon Buzzard 9 Hockey Pool (2023-2024) - Gold Medal.jpg

Neon Buzzard 9 Hockey Pool (2023-2024) - Silver Medal.jpg

Neon Buzzard 9 Hockey Pool (2023-2024) - Bronze Medal.jpg

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool (8) 2022-2023 Medals.jpg

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool 2021-2022 (NeonBuzzard7) Medals.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

Edited by neonbuzzard

• neonbuzzard changed the title to Looking for participants for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season to transition into a promotion and relegation style hockey pool league
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Master Mind said:

What site are you using to do the draft and track stats?

Hi Master Mind, thanks for your response and question.  I haven't decided yet, but I think we will use HockeyDraft.ca .

For this Hockey Pool we have mostly used, HockeyDraft.ca,( https://hockeydraft.ca/ ) .  However, because next season will be the first time this hockey pool will have this expansion of up to 28 participants, then I may look into using Fantrax.  That's because Fantrax has a good Slow Draft feature I've read, (Slow draft is when the draft takes place over a longer period of time, so that participants can make their player selections on their own schedule, in this hockey pool's case the slow draft will be over 2 weeks long). 

For the slow draft in this pool, we have been using Google Sheets, the spreadsheet program the past two seasons, for everyone to enter in their picks in.  And, I then entered the picks in manually from Google Sheets into HockeyDraft.ca .

That being said, Hockeydraft.ca 's sister website HockeyPool.com ( https://hockeypool.com/ ) also has a slow draft feature, so that's another option.  We've never used Fantrax or HockeyPool.com before.  As of right now, I think we will still be going with HockeyDraft.ca .

9 hours ago, Pianoman said:

I would be interested! What information would you need from me?

Hi Pianoman, thanks for your response, your question, and for your interest!  I will need an email to communicate with you, and the rest of the hockey pool participants (I can keep your email address not visible to others if you prefer that). 

I will also need a way to communicate with you when we do the slow draft, so I can contact you when it's your turn to pick.  You can use your email, this Canucksfanforum.com website, or if you are comfortable, by text messaging/phone.  You can send me your email through direct message here, or email me at neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com .  During the slow draft, I keep in communication with everyone, to let them know it's their turn to pick, through a variety of methods, like WhatsApp, phone texting, or social media, etc.  If you just want to use email, or this Canucksfanforum.com website, then that is fine too.  

I also created a temporary meetup.com group for this Hockey Pool, and you can check that out too.    The link is  https://www.meetup.com/nhl-hockey-fans-and-nhl-fantasy-sports-enthusiasts/  .  

Thanks again to the both of you,

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool

Edited by neonbuzzard
Added more information
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, neonbuzzard said:

Hi Master Mind, thanks for your response and question.  I haven't decided yet, but I think we will use HockeyDraft.ca .

For this Hockey Pool we have mostly used, HockeyDraft.ca,( https://hockeydraft.ca/ ) .  However, because next season will be the first time this hockey pool will have this expansion of up to 28 participants, then I may look into using Fantrax.  That's because Fantrax has a good Slow Draft feature I've read, (Slow draft is when the draft takes place over a longer period of time, so that participants can make their player selections on their own schedule, in this hockey pool's case the slow draft will be over 2 weeks long). 

For the slow draft in this pool, we have been using Google Sheets, the spreadsheet program the past two seasons, for everyone to enter in their picks in.  And, I then entered the picks in manually from Google Sheets into HockeyDraft.ca .

That being said, Hockeydraft.ca 's sister website HockeyPool.com ( https://hockeypool.com/ ) also has a slow draft feature, so that's another option.  We've never used Fantrax or HockeyPool.com before.  As of right now, I think we will still be going with HockeyDraft.ca .

Hi Pianoman, thanks for your response, your question, and for your interest!  I will need an email to communicate with you, and the rest of the hockey pool participants (I can keep your email address not visible to others if you prefer that). 

I will also need a way to communicate with you when we do the slow draft, so I can contact you when it's your turn to pick.  You can use your email, this Canucksfanforum.com website, or if you are comfortable, by text messaging/phone.  You can send me your email through direct message here, or email me at neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com .  During the slow draft, I keep in communication with everyone, to let them know it's their turn to pick, through a variety of methods, like WhatsApp, phone texting, or social media, etc.  If you just want to use email, or this Canucksfanforum.com website, then that is fine too.  

I also created a temporary meetup.com group for this Hockey Pool, and you can check that out too.    The link is  https://www.meetup.com/nhl-hockey-fans-and-nhl-fantasy-sports-enthusiasts/  .  

Thanks again to the both of you,

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool

Thanks for your reply. I'm in if you decide to go with Fantrax.

Not sure how Hockeypool does it, but on Fantrax you'd be able to have both the promotion and relegation teams in the same pool, separated into divisions with their own player pools. Essentially two leagues in one. They also have a promo currently that you'll get the first year free for bringing the league over.

13 hours ago, Pianoman said:

I would be interested! What information would you need from me?

Sorry, I forgot to say in my last response to this question, that I will also ask for your first and last name, because for the Hockey Pool, the Hockey Pool Standings and results will list the first and last names of the participants.  You can email me your name and email information at neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com or direct message me, so that others don't see your name online.  If you prefer to not use your first and last name for this hockey pool, then you can also use a pseudonym, or your name initials.  Thanks.  

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm in if you decide to go with Fantrax.

Not sure how Hockeypool does it, but on Fantrax you'd be able to have both the promotion and relegation teams in the same pool, separated into divisions with their own player pools. Essentially two leagues in one. They also have a promo currently that you'll get the first year free for bringing the league over.

Thanks for your interest Master Mind!  And good to know those Fantrax options and its promotion, thanks.  I know that Fantrax is very, very detailed and customizable.  This is great for hockey pools that have a lot of options, like roster changes, trades, advanced statistics, etc.  However, others have said that because it's so detailed and customizable, it can also make the useability of the platform not as easy to use, which is something I'm considering.  The thing I like about HockeyDraft.ca is the website is easy to use and easy to check the pool results, to see how your team is doing. 

Another platform I'm considering is Yahoo, which is very popular.  I've also never used Yahoo before. 

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Pretty cool. I think I know the answer, but best to ask first: Is this league a complete redraft league? Every offseason we draft again?

Thanks for your question and interest Optimus Prime, yes you are correct, this is a complete redraft league.  A completely new draft is done every new season/year to pick your team.    

Neon Buzzard Hockey Pool