Sabres fire Granato

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The fans wanted him gone, the team was performing worse this year, and even Tage Thompson was recently saying that the Sabres were being too cute with the puck.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he was treating the young guys like vets.  Like I said a couple times this season, this team needs a firmer hand.

I'm wondering how the team as a whole will take this.  The team earlier this year turned against the fans when they were chanting for Granato to lose his job.

The Sabres organization has systemic issues.

Jay Woodcroft?  Todd McLellan?  Chief Berube?  BRUCE THERE IT IS???

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Jay Woodcroft?  Todd McLellan?  Chief Berube?  BRUCE THERE IT IS???

The Sabres will be the last resort of an established head coach with options.  I wouldn't be surprised if Pegula and Adams are more or less forced to stay in-house for a coach.

Of the names that you listed, Bruce would be my last pick only because he's too much of a player's coach who would do his best work with a veteran team.

I miss the organization that usually did great during the season and just choked come playoff time.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe Greener once the Devils relieve him of his duties?  :hurhur:

Didn't they take off the interim tag?  So he won't be free until midway through next season.

They should go for Berube.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 2

I wonder if they try Lindy Ruff again. It's been long enough that he hasn't coached any of the current players.

Buffalo would definitely benefit from a veteran coach who can command the respect of the young core.

Berube is a solid option as others are suggesting. I wonder if they can convince Hitchcock to come out of retirement? They could also go after Gerard Gallant. Gallant seems to have a short shelf life but also gets a lot out of his teams.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Didn't they take off the interim tag?  So he won't be free until midway through next season.

They should go for Berube.

They promoted him to interim in March, so unless they've suddenly been happy with his work, I'm not sure he makes it through the off-season with the Devils.

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Fire the management.  Start over. 

If  the next coach doesn't get things going in the next 2 years, both that coach and the GM Kevyn Adams will be gone and the Sabres may even go through another fire sale of players.

45 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I wonder if they try Lindy Ruff again. It's been long enough that he hasn't coached any of the current players.

Buffalo would definitely benefit from a veteran coach who can command the respect of the young core.

Berube is a solid option as others are suggesting. I wonder if they can convince Hitchcock to come out of retirement? They could also go after Gerard Gallant. Gallant seems to have a short shelf life but also gets a lot out of his teams.

I mentioned Ruff a couple of months ago.  The owner loves him and Ruff is a former long time Sabre to boot. 

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I mentioned Ruff a couple of months ago.  The owner loves him and Ruff is a former long time Sabre to boot. 

if that's the case, he's no doubt learned more about what works and what doesn't so much, so he could be better than before ?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If  the next coach doesn't get things going in the next 2 years, both that coach and the GM Kevyn Adams will be gone and the Sabres may even go through another fire sale of players.

I'm usually patient with management. I tend to side with Burke, Nonis, Gillis, Benning while they were in charge. Then after seeing what JR and PA could do in such a short time, I'm convinced that these big changes are much more impactful than a coaching carousel.  

Just now, Jaimito said:

I'm usually patient with management. I tend to side with Burke, Nonis, Gillis, Benning while they were in charge. Then after seeing what JR and PA could do in such a short time, I'm convinced that these big changes are much more impactful than a coaching carousel.  

Adams is a decent GM so I'm happy he's staying.   However, choosing the best coach is a large part of his job.  He mostly whiffed on Granato. 

Granato isn't a bad coach, he would thrive with a veteran team, but he wasn't the right coach for the young team that the Sabres have.  That's on Adams.  He's on his second and final chance to get the coach choice right.  If he chooses poorly, he will be unemployed 2 years from now.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

They promoted him to interim in March, so unless they've suddenly been happy with his work, I'm not sure he makes it through the off-season with the Devils.

Green ends up stepping back into his assistant/associate coaching role imo, Devils will want a bigger coaching fish

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Green ends up stepping back into his assistant/associate coaching role imo, Devils will want a bigger coaching fish

But does the next "non-interim" head coach for Jersey want Green around though?  Or would they want to bring on their own asst/assoc coaches?  That's the other side of your equation.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

But does the next "non-interim" head coach for Jersey want Green around though?  Or would they want to bring on their own asst/assoc coaches?  That's the other side of your equation.

Hard to say, oftentimes new coaches bring in their own assistants 

It helps Green that he's just an interim guy though imo, stepping back wouldn't be much of a change

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Willie D and Greener together..Oh Boy!

Imagine Green and Willie too, I do

I think about it day and night, it’s only right

To think about the goal they have and prepare to fight

So happy together 

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My bad, thought they had removed the interim tag recently 

• Cheers 1