PGT - Winnipeg beats Canucks in final game of the season.

17 hours ago, JamesB said:

At the end of a great regular season the final game was disappointing, although no-one will care about it once the playoffs get going.  I was looking for a few things and here is how they turned out.

1. I wanted Demmer to continue to look good.  Demmer looked pretty good -- generally under control and playing well, although he allowed three goals (and Winnipeg added an empty net goal). The first and third goals came on defensive breakdowns that gave the Jets grade A chances and the second resulted from a bad line change. It would have been good if he could have stopped one of those shots. But Winnipeg had 3.19 expected goals so Demmer was actually pretty good on the goals allowed above expected stat.

2. Individual Milestones. Wanted to see Garland get to 20 goals, which he did. Wanted to see Hughes add to his scoring numbers to stay ahead of Makar in points by a D. Makar got 1 pt, so Hughes wins the D scoring race. Hughes would have been the Norris favorite even if Makar had tied him or passed him in points, but I think being the top scoring D locks down the Norris.

3. Wanted to see Lindholm get on the board again to show he can contribute. He got a nice goal and was unlucky to have his assist on the Garland goal taken away. Wanted to see Petey get to 90 pts but he fell short and I wanted Mik to get on the board but he didn't.  Mixed results but not bad.

4. Close Game. The game was close and could have gone either way. Winnipeg outshot the Canucks but the Canucks had more high danger chances (13-5). Kind of disappointing but not a bad game. And of course both teams rested some top players.

5. The Pettersson line (with Mik and Hoggy) was good again and was 4-0 in high danger chances. They were unlucky not to score and they continue to play tight defence.

6. On the first Winnipeg goal, Myers made an unnecessary hit on the boards, taking himself out the play. Lafferty then chased behind the net instead of filling in for Myers. Bad plays by both guys. We have not seen much of that this. Myers has shown much more discipline this year.  Maybe just a lack of concentration in a game that did not mean much.

Bottom line: A bit disappointing but only a very minor bump in the road. And no one seemed to get injured. Great season overall and looking forward to a good series against Nashville.

Big thank you, James, for all 82 post game summaries you’ve made.

Unreal job, for sure.

I wonder if you ever thought about publishing all these as a book?

It would be a great read.

Imaging all you comments and quality photos, especially in Canucks go on a long run?

It would be a bestseller, for sure.

You write better than most of professional writers who cover Canucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

James I wanted to thankyou for your detailed game posts thru the season. Always a must read for me in post game.   

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'll second that @JamesB. Thank you amigo. 

53 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Unreal job, for sure.

Imaging all you comments and quality photos, especially in Canucks go on a long run?

Thanks, guys. I did not really intend to do a write-up after every game, but that is how it turned out. I like checking out the stats, the replays, and the PGT after the game to process what happened and it was fun to actually write a few things down after games this year. I am glad I could contribute to the PGT, which is always interesting, thanks in large part to you guys  (along with other "regulars").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • chaos 1

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Unreal job, for sure.

Not to rip off an idea, but I thought this very thing - extended across other games but here for sure. I see a "coffee table" book in the makings when we win this Cup.

Of course, I (i) would never take someone else's idea and (ii) would love to see this take shape so,

I hope that @Silent Man suggestions is something @JamesB would think about picking up formally. Hey, NHL Cap Friendly started just like this and someone paid serous coin to acquire them.

I know I would pay @JamesB to read his AAR's ... 😁 ... and I PirateBay the fuck out of everything I can ... j/k

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Thanks, guys. I did not really intend to do a write-up after every game, but that is how it turned out. I like checking out the stats, the replays, and the PGT after the game to process what happened and it was fun to actually write a few things down after games this year. I am glad I could contribute to the PGT, which is always interesting, thanks in large part to you guys  (along with other "regulars").

Awesome Contribution. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Unreal job, for sure.

5 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Not to rip off an idea, but I thought this very thing - extended across other games but here for sure. I see a "coffee table" book in the makings when we win this Cup.

Of course, I (i) would never take someone else's idea and (ii) would love to see this take shape so,

I hope that @Silent Man suggestions is something @JamesB would think about picking up formally. Hey, NHL Cap Friendly started just like this and someone paid serous coin to acquire them.

I know I would pay @JamesB to read his AAR's ... 😁 ... and I PirateBay the fuck out of everything I can ... j/k

Thanks, guys. If the Canucks win the Cup I will definitely pull together my post-game comments and some related comments and a few pictures. It would be a great memory for me. I did not realize other people might be interested but I would be happy to make it available online and I might generate something in hardcopy (which fortunately is pretty easy nowadays).

Now all we have to do is win the Cup. 😁

• -dlc- unfeatured this topic

@JamesB You've genuinely changed the way I view hockey games with your commentary. I look forward to reading the PGTs for your comments than virtually any paid interviewer/writer. I haven't had a poster here have that kind of impact on me since Wetcoaster who I assume passed away awhile ago. 

• Thanks 1