(Discussion/Proposal) Who stays? Who goes? Who replaces?

I thought this might be an interesting thread to discuss ideas on who fans want to keep and who they're ok with trading or letting walk to free-agency, as well as replacements for lost or traded players.

Absolute keepers:

Dakota Joshua- his breakout season has been an absolute key to Vancouver's success. His mix of two-way play and physicality have propelled him to another level.

Nikita Zadorov- the big defenseman really showed he belonged here since his arrival. His defensive play has been has, vastly, improved and his physical presence is badly needed here.

Teddy Blueger- Joshua, Blue, Garland. Don't think much more needs saying here.

Non-returnees:

Elias Lindholm- unfortunately, things haven't worked out for him here. His rumored asking price may also be too much.

Sam Lafferty- been ok here but, imo, he doesn't bring anything that can't be replaced.

Ian Cole- same as Lafferty.

Casey DeSmith- time for Silovs to get an opportunity.

Mark Friedman- an irrelevant player, really.

Those I would re-sign at the right price:

Tyler Myers- has shown he can still play. 2 yrs x 3 would be my comfort zone. Otherwise I'd let him walk.

Filip Hronek- really think 6.5 would be my ceiling for him. A quick look at his career really shows how dependent he is on the success of Quinn Hughes.

NHL Tradeable:

Pius Suter- the emergence of the Joshua, Blueger, Garland line and the, vastly, improved play of Hoglander has really made him a redundant, expendable player, imo. Unfortunate because I really like him but, can't keep them all.

Filip Hronek- as stated above, 6.5 would be my ceiling. I did say in another thread that I felt PA will get something done with him but, as this is fantasy, I'm ok with the contradiction.

Nils Hoglander- only if the right deal were to come along.

Ilya Mikheyev- anyone? Anyone at all? Please?

Replacements:

Chris Tanev- bring our boy home. He's never looked right in another uniform.

Yakov Trenin- liked this player for a long time. A true fourth liner that brings a little offense but a lot of physicality.

Jett Woo- don't know that there's much more to Woo's game. Give him a 7/8 spot to see what he can do.

Arturs Silovs- has proven to be solid when called upon.

Noah Juulsen- time to put on the big boy pants and step up.

Guillaume Brisebois- a bit of a darkhorse here. Felt so bad for him. He was finally going to get his shot but injury kept him out for most of the season. Hopefully he does get a shot.

Tom Willander- another darkhorse pick but, he really proved himself in the NCAA. I am kinda hoping management sees him as ready.

Desired trade targets:

Brady Tkachuk- rumor has it, Ottawa might be, tentatively, shopping him.

Lawson Crouse- with the move to Utah and the new ownership, might they be looking to part with some pieces to bolster their prospect pool and take a new approach.

Both are Tocchet type players. I think either, or both would fit.

I would continue with trade ideas but this post is getting too long. I'll save other thoughts for replies.

Let the roast begin.

if hronek is wanting 8 mil, i'm for moving him and freeing up cap to sign most of our free agents.

i'ld love to see us keep joshua, blueger, lindholm and lafferty up front and zadorov, myers and desmith on the back end.

if lindholm would sign for 6.5 mil, keep him.

if mikheyev could be moved, JR and PA can refit this team to be solid contenders.

we still need a winger to go with petey and hogs. maybe another winger that plays like joshua.

i trust management, they have made the types of moves to get nus here.

2 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

I thought this might be an interesting thread to discuss ideas on who fans want to keep and who they're ok with trading or letting walk to free-agency, as well as replacements for lost or traded players.

Absolute keepers:

Dakota Joshua- his breakout season has been an absolute key to Vancouver's success. His mix of two-way play and physicality have propelled him to another level.

Nikita Zadorov- the big defenseman really showed he belonged here since his arrival. His defensive play has been has, vastly, improved and his physical presence is badly needed here.

Non-returnees:

Elias Lindholm- unfortunately, things haven't worked out for him here. His rumored asking price may also be too much.

Sam Lafferty- been ok here but, imo, he doesn't bring anything that can't be replaced.

Tyler Myers- has shown he can still play. 2 yrs x 3 would be my comfort zone. Otherwise I'd let him walk.

Filip Hronek- really think 6.5 would be my ceiling for him. A quick look at his career really shows how dependent he is on the success of Quinn Hughes.

NHL Tradeable:

Pius Suter- the emergence of the Joshua, Blueger, Garland line and the, vastly, improved play of Hoglander has really made him a redundant, expendable player, imo. Unfortunate because I really like him but, can't keep them all.

Filip Hronek- as stated above, 6.5 would be my ceiling. I did say in another thread that I felt PA will get something done with him but, as this is fantasy, I'm ok with the contradiction.

Replacements:

Yakov Trenin- liked this player for a long time. A true fourth liner that brings a little offense but a lot of physicality.

Jett Woo- don't know that there's much more to Woo's game. Give him a 7/8 spot to see what he can do.

Guillaume Brisebois- a bit of a darkhorse here. Felt so bad for him. He was finally going to get his shot but injury kept him out for most of the season. Hopefully he does get a shot.

Tom Willander- another darkhorse pick but, he really proved himself in the NCAA. I am kinda hoping management sees him as ready.

Desired trade targets:

Lawson Crouse- with the move to Utah and the new ownership, might they be looking to part with some pieces to bolster their prospect pool and take a new approach.

I would continue with trade ideas but this post is getting too long. I'll save other thoughts for replies.

Let the roast begin.

After our Cup parade down Georgia this June things will get done for next year. 
Hronek will be signed to the Devon Toews contract.

Zadorov will be extended to a long term to lower the yearly cap.

Joshua will get a long term too to keep his yearly cap allocation down.

Lindy will get signed by the Bruins to 8 x 8.

Concrete Garden Gnome will be traded for 2 seconds.

Blugar and those other UFAs are gonzo. Easily replaced by cheaper contracts. 

I'd be open to letting everyone short of Hronek walk tbh, depending on what they want. Joshua would probably be better served chasing the bag via UFA. 

Everyone you've mentioned as probably walking I'd probably allow to walk. I'd keep your tradeable players, Suter may very well slot into the Blueger spot. If Mikheyev can be moved at a reasonable price perhaps, but I'm not interested in paying top level value to move him. 

I'm fine with retaining Zadorov depending on cap hit and term, not interested in giving him too much term. Four years would probably be ideal.

I'd be willing to bring Myers back on a 1-2 year deal if the cap hit is closer to 3M or less. He'd be a solid Willander stopgap. Juulsen is cost effective depth, I'd look to extend him sooner than later to a 3-4 year deal so long as the cap hit isn't too big. He's earned some security imo. 

Blueger, it depends on how much he wants. He'll be 30 in August, this is probably his last chance at a larger money/term deal. Not super big, but maybe bigger than we should pay. I wouldn't offer him more than four years. 

Not interested in giving bottom six guys more cap or term than necessary, that's where we should be cutting corners and looking for more cost effective options. 

Willander should return to Boston and stew more in a larger role. Silovs is probably fine as a backup. I don't see Tanev wearing Canuck colours again, he probably stays with Dallas or heads to Toronto. Trenin would be interesting but I wouldn't be shocked to see him circle back to Nashville or see him stay in Colorado. 

Tkachuk is a pipe dream, it's doubtful he's actually being shopped. Crouse is likely the sort of player Utah will keep, he's cost effective and if their goal is to try and not spin their wheels during their inaugural season than keeping him makes a lot of sense. Utah's flush with Arizona's picks, prospects, and young players, they don't need those. It'd likely take a very convincing NHL player level trade to land him.

Hronek has to be signed. RHD don’t grow on trees. Hopefully he’ll sign for around 7 mill per.

Joshua is a must. 3 by 3…

Zadorov walks. He’s not going to play above Hughes or Soucy. What he wants is too much for a third pairing D.

I’d bring Cole back for the same deal as this year. Can play on the right side if need be…

Myers will get 4 mill somewhere, so he walks too…

It would be nice to have Blueger back, at the same deal as this year…

Hard to imagine the D core doesn’t take a step backward until Willander is ready.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 3:34 AM, Komodo0921 said:

Absolute keepers:

Non-returnees:

NHL Tradeable:

Replacements:

Desired trade targets:

Let the roast begin.

Agreed we have to keep Joshua & Zadorov. 

Let DeSmith go, Silovs is ready to backup Demko and to do it really well. Saves us a million.

Let Blueger go, he's a great PK'er but save the 1m and lets try to keep Lindholm somehow. 

I want suter to stay - for his versatility, and i think we can probably keep him for around the same price he signed for. 

Myers at 3m would be great to have for a couple years. Hronek for 7.5. 

Juulsen should be ready to step in as defenseman #6, we can let Cole go. 

The only way i see us being able to keep everyone good that we want to is if management can somehow move on from Mikheyev though I really don't see how thats a possibility. 

Having Miller-Pettersson-Lindholm down the middle gives us incredible center depth and probably keeps us competitive for years to come if we can manage to keep Lindholm somehow. 

This is what id love to see next year:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

BAINS-Petey-Hoglander (I watched enough abby games this year, i think Bains not only makes the jump but makes an impact next year)

Joshua-Lindhom-Garland

Podkolzin-Aman-Raty

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Edited by HarbularyBattery

Dak and Zad have to be priority.

Then we need to sign a third line centre, nobody coming to fill that spot.  If Lindholm wants to stay that will be a squeeze. 

That will likely mean DeSmith and Blueger going. 
Doubt there will be enough left for Myers, Juulsen should have that third pair right D locked down at near minimum. 
Then we need some wingers. 
‘On the farm we have some wing possibilities, Karlsson, they moved Ratu to left wing and he is a fairly nasty winger so may be good fit for EP, Podz probably in a spot in the regular lineup too, Bains is another good shot at bottom 6. 
Ultimately have faith in PA, what he has done this year is remarkable. 
‘Bring me big Daddy Zaddy back PA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Dak and Zad have to be priority.

Then we need to sign a third line centre, nobody coming to fill that spot.  If Lindholm wants to stay that will be a squeeze. 

That will likely mean DeSmith and Blueger going. 
Doubt there will be enough left for Myers, Juulsen should have that third pair right D locked down at near minimum. 
Then we need some wingers. 
‘On the farm we have some wing possibilities, Karlsson, they moved Ratu to left wing and he is a fairly nasty winger so may be good fit for EP, Podz probably in a spot in the regular lineup too, Bains is another good shot at bottom 6. 
Ultimately have faith in PA, what he has done this year is remarkable. 
‘Bring me big Daddy Zaddy back PA. 

Agree with all of that 

I really hope they figure out a way to keep Lindholm though, with Miller/Petey/Lindholm we would have arguably the best center depth in the league

Raty and Bains both looked so good in abbotsford this year, i wouldnt be surprised to see both of them come in and deliver great value on ELCs

Cole is definitely gone, but i wonder if we could squeeze Myers in at 3m. Hes been great in Tocchets system. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Like all I'd like to see Joshua re-signed but anything over 2mil per yr is a massive overpay. A lot of players have a break out season then regress, it's actually more the norm than not. He will still be an impactful player but he won't put up these type of numbers.

Zadarov at 4.5 is great and should be brought back. 

Cole I'd let him go and bring in Tanev

Hronek is an interesting dilemma, he makes this team better but anything over 7mil I'd trade him,  depending on which team is offer players and picks I'd probably trade him anyway. if Philly came calling and offered Risto, Florida 1st this yr and Frost I'd take it. This yrs late first the Canucks can get a really great RD albeit he'd be 2 yrs away but either of Elick or Mews would be a home run. 

Other's like Bleuger, Lafferty let 'em walk they will be replaced easily enough from within or other UFA or unsigned RFA

Edited by VanOriginal

• 2 weeks later...

Love Demko and think he's on a great deal but with what Silovs has done, it's just possible that they might make Demko available to a team in the east.  NJ and Carolina both need a solid goalie in the worst way and have the assets  to make it worth our while.  Not advocating this, but it is a remote possibility and would allow us to keep more of our current roster if that's the way management wants to go.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Love Demko and think he's on a great deal but with what Silovs has done, it's just possible that they might make Demko available to a team in the east.  NJ and Carolina both need a solid goalie in the worst way and have the assets  to make it worth our while.  Not advocating this, but it is a remote possibility and would allow us to keep more of our current roster if that's the way management wants to go.

i cant see that happening based on such a tiny sample game size

silovs needs to play like 50+ games for us and show he can handle a long stretch of games as the starter before anything like that is entertained

37 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i cant see that happening based on such a tiny sample game size

silovs needs to play like 50+ games for us and show he can handle a long stretch of games as the starter before anything like that is entertained

It's a small sample size in top level competition but one that's spread over a bit more than a year, so not an absolute flash in the pan.  They'd have to consult Clark pretty closely about it and maybe have their doubts about Demko's long term viability before taking the leap.  But if the goal was to clear cap space and get good young players, it's the sort of thing they just might do.  Remember, these are the guys who moved on from Fleury when he still had some good years left.  I agree that it's not very likely but neither is moving Pettersson, which many here propose seriously. 

15 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's a small sample size in top level competition but one that's spread over a bit more than a year, so not an absolute flash in the pan.  They'd have to consult Clark pretty closely about it and maybe have their doubts about Demko's long term viability before taking the leap.  But if the goal was to clear cap space and get good young players, it's the sort of thing they just might do.  Remember, these are the guys who moved on from Fleury when he still had some good years left.  I agree that it's not very likely but neither is moving Pettersson, which many here propose seriously. 

i think moving on from Joshua is most likely

A mikheyev buyout is very possible too, turns out his contract is very buyout friendly

blueger gone, desmith gone, lafferty gone, cole gone and replaced by juulsen, myers down to 3m. 

hronek back at 6.5m, lindholm at 7. zadorov at 5. 

we basically need 5 million of cap space if we wanna keep everyone else, thats the easiest route to get us there.

trouble is.. how do we improve further from there? dont think JR/PA are going to be content with a roster equal to or worse than the one we had this year. need a winger for petey. 

1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i think moving on from Joshua is most likely

A mikheyev buyout is very possible too, turns out his contract is very buyout friendly

blueger gone, desmith gone, lafferty gone, cole gone and replaced by juulsen, myers down to 3m. 

hronek back at 6.5m, lindholm at 7. zadorov at 5. 

we basically need 5 million of cap space if we wanna keep everyone else, thats the easiest route to get us there.

trouble is.. how do we improve further from there? dont think JR/PA are going to be content with a roster equal to or worse than the one we had this year. need a winger for petey. 

Yeah, a Mik buyout seems almost mandatory also moving on from Cole and Desmith. 

Myers and Zadorov at those cap hits are clear keepers, even +.5m.

Lindholm and Hronek might sign at those hits but I wouldn't go higher, and wonder if the money might be better spent elsewhere. 

Joshua and Blueger might be more bang for the buck than Lindholm, good as he's been recently.

Hronek for assets and a free agent replacement around 5 m. might be a better option than locking him in at a higher amount.

A winger for Petey is definitely a priority.  That's where crazy ideas like trading Demko could come in!  Him and Hronek would get us retooling assets and the cap space to fill gaps in our current lineup.  But it's pretty risky and not likely to happen.