BBQ/Cooking Thread - Non-Mammal Cooking Welcome

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

The Keg is for peasents (I kid) but that benais suace is tasty.

I don't understand the attraction of the keg. It's too expensive for what you get, you might as well go up a step to Hys.

The sides are so much butter, salt and sugar added it makes me gag.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

We used to go to Gotham alot. All the big swinging dicks from work used to like to play big shot there. 

My bro-law used to come over to Van, when I lived there, for Kobe steaks at Balck and Blue. Stoopid expensive, like really stupid. They were good though.

Anyway, that was all before I evolved to become a vegetarian. 

I don't eat mammals anymore because they are sentient beings. 

Fish don't make friends.

Birds are just little dinosaurs, and they are our natural enemy.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I don't understand the attraction of the keg. It's too expensive for what you get, you might as well go up a step to Hys.

The sides are so much butter, salt and sugar added it makes me gag.

I don't eat mammals anymore because they are sentient beings. 

Fish don't make friends.

Birds are just little dinosaurs, and they are our natural enemy.

image.gif.9057ad70f0bf862faf6defe38df3460d.gif

• ThereItIs 3

22 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Post your BBQ, Cooking comments here. 

Great thread!   
Im a bbq guy!   
I live in a townhouse, so I can’t do the big smoke parties I used to, but I am moving to Northern Alberta in the summer so it’s going to be back to business for me finally.  

I am a metal fabricator by trade, but have dabbled in food trucks and pop up bbq shops.  
I just built my 6’x4’x2’ Smoker and it’s ready to travel to the new house and get built into my outdoor kitchen/bbq shack!

I plan to be opening a bbq food truck, but with a home base location on the property.  Similar to what Texas Smoke is doing here in Langley.  
Im pretty damn stoked to get out of the coast and start doing some huge cooks!

Being in a townhouse, I’m limited, but if I share with the neighbors, they don’t complain as much.  
I will make sure to post some stuff on the thread as I go!  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Goalie29 said:

One of the best perks of working from home is my BBQ.  I don't care how good the office cafeteria was.  Nothing beats being able to BBQ for lunch.

My personal favourite is beer can chicken.  Nothing complicated.  A good mix of spices rubbed on the chicken.  I usually use cider as neither of us drink beer.  I don't think the actual beverage matters in this case.  90 minutes on indirect heat.

The only trick is finding reasonably priced whole chicken.  It's crazy that I can buy a roasted chicken for cheaper than a raw one I plan to cook myself.

I do a beer butt turkey for the family on Christmas.  
I fab’d up a stand that goes into the turkey bum and holds a tall boy.  
18 hour brine on the turkey.  
Bam!  Juicy, smoky and crispy every time.  
You just need a bbq with a deep lid!

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

You just need a bbq with a deep lid!

I too used to live in a townhouse so I only had a Q100.  But a couple of years ago, for my 50th, my wife got me a proper BBQ with a deep lid just so I could do my beer can chickens.  Best gift ever.

• Cheers 1

I bought some pork butt that was two for one recently and tried Gyros including making pitas from scratch.  recipe at end

Not bad but I say tacos such as carnitas have gyros bested in every way.

spice profile for the pork meat of chilis is better than paprika and herbs such as rosemary

corn or flour tortillas better than pitas

guacamole and salsa trumps tzatziki

I love cilantro over parsley and mint

rest of toppings are similar if not the same

(I forgot to try the fries in the gyros)

never the less, sorry Greece but Mexico has you beat for pork in a flat bread.

image.thumb.jpeg.819a9462e50aaf8c4a0322d5ac117763.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/22/2024 at 2:51 PM, Goalie29 said:

One of the best perks of working from home is my BBQ.  I don't care how good the office cafeteria was.  Nothing beats being able to BBQ for lunch.

My personal favourite is beer can chicken.  Nothing complicated.  A good mix of spices rubbed on the chicken.  I usually use cider as neither of us drink beer.  I don't think the actual beverage matters in this case.  90 minutes on indirect heat.

The only trick is finding reasonably priced whole chicken.  It's crazy that I can buy a roasted chicken for cheaper than a raw one I plan to cook myself.

Costco FTW

Another thing I like to do on the grill is stuffed pork loin. Keeps the lean pork  juicier. 
I also like to make my own burgers. I finely chop mushrooms, garlic, and onions then fry them up with spices. Then I mix them in a bowl with an egg or two. I then weigh them out and form them with my patty maker. With this mixture I am able to cook the burgers well done and still maintain a juicy burger. I also sometimes mix in pork hamburger with it. 

• Cheers 1

Tomorrow I make my second attempt at maple cayenne bacon. It was good last time, but not sweet or spicy enough. Again I'll be using maple chips. I ratcheted up the maple syrup, brown sugar, cayenne, and chili flakes big time. I also added maple sugar. Tomorrow makes 5 full days in the brine. Flipped the bag twice a day, usually before I left for work, then came home. I'll share the results, itll probably be during the game.

• ThereItIs 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:32 PM, Miss Korea said:

Don't need it it's a waste of time

Austin Powers Get In My Belly GIF by Chris Cimino

Hehehe, but seriously, some really good slow smoked stuff coming off my electric smoker. I too like it hit and fast, but sometimes you just have to put on smooth jazz and get into it for a few hours to really slake that hunger.

4 hours ago, Spur1 said:

Another thing I like to do on the grill is stuffed pork loin. Keeps the lean pork  juicier. 
I also like to make my own burgers. I finely chop mushrooms, garlic, and onions then fry them up with spices. Then I mix them in a bowl with an egg or two. I then weigh them out and form them with my patty maker. With this mixture I am able to cook the burgers well done and still maintain a juicy burger. I also sometimes mix in pork hamburger with it. 

I make my own burgers often, and found a trick for the cheese, bacon, mushrooms and onion to keep them under control. On a flat griddle I preheat on high I drop a thumb and three fingers pinch of shredded cheese, the tex mex mix from Costco. Then I shut off the heat and add chopped bacon bits, it melts to a roughly burger sized disc and then hardens on the bottom. Oh, use a nonstick pan or griddle by the way. Meanwhile I am sautéing mushrooms in a separate pan. I use a lot of white onions in my meals, so I always have one available, I make a thick cut at the widest section and use the outer ring of juicy fresh onion to put on top of my home made cheese single with bacon infused thru out it...and then pile the mushrooms hot out ot the pan into the ring of onion. Then lettuce, tomatoes and more onions and finally a sliced pickle. 

I love my bacon/cheese "slices" a lot. Just stumbled upon them while cooking once time a decade ago.

15 minutes ago, top shelf peanut butter said:

I used to think rubs were boring and dry but I tried one a few weeks ago and I am absolutely a fan, I've done them a few times since.. tempted to try seasoned wings on Wing Wednesday instead of the saucy messy ones now..

I know some people will view this as sacrilegious but I like using Mrs. Dash with salt as a base for my dry rubs.  "But you're using a salt-replacement seasoning with salt!"  Yes, that's the whole point - they go so well together.  Especially the one with Garlic and Herb.  I used to also get the Onion and Herb, but the grocery store no longer carries it.

• Like 1