BBQ/Cooking Thread - Non-Mammal Cooking Welcome

I've been doing some steelhead trout on a small tabletop charcoal grill lately. Very simple, just some good quality olive oil, salt and lemon. The bit of smokiness from the charcoal makes this really tasty. 

If you're looking to get into some Japanese style grilling, this place in Vancouver carries some great gear: https://knifewear.com/collections/konro-grills-accessories

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Carp, fresh, literally in the bag while moving, is that a ‘good’ fish? 

BBQ, after scaling and gutting and then throw in lemons and butter and herbs? 

Am I doing it right? 

I grew up on Hatzic lake, and not that I'd eat a fish from there, I heard the carp were particularly boney and not great eating. Although I have seen them for sale at Granville island so somebody likes em.

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Roasted vegetables are getting a lot of my airtime lately.  Particularly if their roasting temperature is compatible with whatever else I'm roasting.  

Zukes, peppers, yams... even old boring potatoes.  

hobbit-sam2015.gif

Sliced zukes with oil, parm, and hys seasoning salt, bbq on high, 1-2 minutes per side depending on thickness, beautiful. 

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

dunno, have had some pretty damn good slow roasted stuff, hard to replicate that quickly. 

That was legit the wrong info for many cuts of meat but definitely the Korean style...which is also awesome. Ribs, brisket, burnt ends, beans, turkey breast and pork butt all are done far better with a proper smoker and low and slow.  Now as to which style you do it in is the real debate...   Love me some Carolina (mustard & vinegar style sauces) and Kansas City sweet style BBQ. Texas style with mesquite is great too especially the dry style ribs. 

My brother is huge into it but I just use the basic Weber round charcoal grill. I have yet to find a wing better than what I make on there I won't lie 😄 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • MillerTime 1

One of the best perks of working from home is my BBQ.  I don't care how good the office cafeteria was.  Nothing beats being able to BBQ for lunch.

My personal favourite is beer can chicken.  Nothing complicated.  A good mix of spices rubbed on the chicken.  I usually use cider as neither of us drink beer.  I don't think the actual beverage matters in this case.  90 minutes on indirect heat.

The only trick is finding reasonably priced whole chicken.  It's crazy that I can buy a roasted chicken for cheaper than a raw one I plan to cook myself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I grew up on Hatzic lake, and not that I'd eat a fish from there, I heard the carp were particularly boney and not great eating. Although I have seen them for sale at Granville island so somebody likes em.

So deboning is a must. 

Descaling too of course. 

Otherwise the one I saw was very ‘meaty’. 

So, what’s the best way to ensure the filet is intact and good for grilling? 

Take the filet off, after descaling and deboning? Is the meat sweet or flavourless? 

I'll be brining some pork belly this afternoon, then smoking it on either Saturday or sunday. My homemade bacon from a couple weeks ago was a huge hit. I just gotta up the maple syrup and cayenne content.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

One of the best perks of working from home is my BBQ.  I don't care how good the office cafeteria was.  Nothing beats being able to BBQ for lunch.

My personal favourite is beer can chicken.  Nothing complicated.  A good mix of spices rubbed on the chicken.  I usually use cider as neither of us drink beer.  I don't think the actual beverage matters in this case.  90 minutes on indirect heat.

The only trick is finding reasonably priced whole chicken.  It's crazy that I can buy a roasted chicken for cheaper than a raw one I plan to cook myself.

What is the price per kg for whole chicken?
Down here in Sydney I can get whole chicken for $4.50 to 5.50 per kilo, so looking at about $8 for a whole chicken.

We eat a lot of chicken in my house as its reasonably priced, in comparison a decent rump steak is about $22 per kg and a NY Cut is about $28-32 per kg 

24 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

The answer might be in here: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/costofliving/rotisserie-chicken-secrets-1.6418773

According to Rowe Farms, it might look like you're paying less for a cooked bird, but you're usually getting a smaller chicken. Raw birds in the cooler section usually weigh between 1.6 and 1.8 kilograms, while chickens destined for the rotisserie spit are about 1.2 kg.

and

Rotisserie chickens are also a loss leader according to retailers such as Rowe Farms. This means grocers actually lose money on them, and sell them below cost as a way to get customers into stores to ostensibly buy more items.

LISTEN | A good meal for a good price: hear the secrets of the deli rotisserie chicken 

costofliving-640x360__682296.jpg
Cost of Living5:44Why does a rotisserie chicken cost less than buying a chicken you have to cook yourself?

"Our rotisserie chickens are priced the way they are as a convenience to our members. An oven roasted chicken is a fast and easy dinner option, and our members are likely going to fill their baskets with other items while they are buying a chicken," wrote Barb Munro, corporate communications adviser for Calgary Co-op, in an email to Cost of Living.

29 minutes ago, Canuckpuckluck1 said:

What is the price per kg for whole chicken?
Down here in Sydney I can get whole chicken for $4.50 to 5.50 per kilo, so looking at about $8 for a whole chicken.

We eat a lot of chicken in my house as its reasonably priced, in comparison a decent rump steak is about $22 per kg and a NY Cut is about $28-32 per kg 

I don't know about per kilo, but usually they average about $14 - $20 per chicken.  Sometimes I can get them on special in a two-pack and then I freeze one.

In comparison, at Costco, a roasted chicken is $7.99.  At most grocery stores they are $12.99.  But that's still cheaper than a raw one.

I went to a Brazilian party recently.  It has me questioning my whole BBQing reality.  It seemed like they were doing everything wrong but it was absolutely phenomenal!  Some of the best food I’ve ever had!

11 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

I get it.  I just find it annoying that my ingredients cost more than the finished product when I would rather do it myself.

Maybe think of it as "less cluck per buck" when you're buying a rotisserie chicken, because they are usually smaller than the packaged whole chickens you can get in the meat department.  :hurhur:

edit - in other words, it actually costs more if you were to buy the cooked chicken than if you bought the same chicken that they roasted as raw + seasonings + energy cost, because they already marked it up after taking those costs into consideration - while the unsuspecting consumer would look at a (larger) raw chicken and then this (smaller) cooked chicken and say, "zOMG good buy!"

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

That was legit the wrong info for many cuts of meat but definitely the Korean style...which is also awesome. Ribs, brisket, burnt ends, beans, turkey breast and pork butt all are done far better with a proper smoker and low and slow.  Now as to which style you do it in is the real debate...   Love me some Carolina (mustard & vinegar style sauces) and Kansas City sweet style BBQ. Texas style with mesquite is great too especially the dry style ribs. 

My brother is huge into it but I just use the basic Weber round charcoal grill. I have yet to find a wing better than what I make on there I won't lie 😄 

I had some amazing BBQ in Austin TX, best I've had I think.

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Hot and fast.  Nothing low and slow - it's not as fun.

You haven’t had the fun of my pork belly burnt ends 😉

Edited by Rook

The Keg is for peasents (I kid) but that benais suace is tasty.

We used to go to Gotham alot. All the big swinging dicks from work used to like to play big shot there. 

My bro-law used to come over to Van, when I lived there, for Kobe steaks at Balck and Blue. Stoopid expensive, like really stupid. They were good though.

Anyway, that was all before I evolved to become a vegetarian. 

I got a ninja smoker last year and didn't use it much, but this one Roast i smoked and then BBQ'd on it was to die for. I am gonna have to break that bad boy out again soon.

It is electric, first of all, but then you add about a half a cup of wood pellets to a side holster on it and you can smoke all day long, simply by replenishing the pellets once or twice. I am not a big BBQ guy...so this is my best foray into it since I had a bigger smoker and my neighbour in the old place complained about the smoke after two uses...

His Tandoori stuff was so dang good I was like "Well Gupta, I could complain about that delicious flavour you put in the air too, but then you would never have me over to try some, hahaha". Crisis averted, but I did sell my smoker out of respect for his lungs. The houses were so close together I could touch both outer walls at the same time and he had really bad asthma and COPD.