Trains-good and bad

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep its pretty clear what we should be rolling the dice on, for future infrastructure. I have no doubt if we build more rail in BC, we will see home development follow.

I still have some concerns with rail but it has more to do with connectivity to other transport modes and also convincing the populace to give it a go. It needs to be done right and in unison with more modern and efficient connectivity. The replacement of the old soviet rail system in the Baltic's is a very ambitious and impressive project. Would be nice to see something like that between Vancouver/ Seattle/ Portland and in Alberta between Lethbridge / Calgary/ Red Deer and Edmonton.

• ThereItIs 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep its pretty clear what we should be rolling the dice on, for future infrastructure. I have no doubt if we build more rail in BC, we will see home development follow.

If only the province had a government owned rail company, it would be so much easier.

Also- if only the province had forced the feds to keep the E&N rail line open, on Vancouver Island.

though I suppose now that the feds aren't keeping up their end of the commitment they made, during our joining the country; it will be easier for us to separate, if we deem beneficial.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

These are the only two out West that might make sense in this current time frame.

Iirc there is an attempt to get a high(ish) speed rail service from Vancouver to Seattle.

Edited by Gurn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Iirc there is an attempt to get a high(ish) speed rail service from Vancouver to Seattle.

Yup.  https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/high-speed-light-rail-seattle-canada-portland/281-9a7aea9a-80fd-4d7c-9fa6-1dbdffdd68ef

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cascadia-high-speed-rail-vancouver-seattle-portland-us-funding

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

If only the province had a government owned rail company, it would be so much easier.

Also- if only the province had forced the feds to keep the E&N rail line open, on Vancouver Island.

though I suppose now that the feds aren't keeping up their end of the commitment they made, during our joining the country; it will be easier for us to separate, if we deem beneficial.

Why would it be easier? This is going to take a public private partnership anyway.

I don't see the big deal about BC rail, that's not in the way of any future development.

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why would it be easier? This is going to take a public private partnership anyway.

I don't see the big deal about BC rail, that's not in the way of any future development.

Going up to Squamish/Whistler will have no choice but to be public/private- as the line is now 'long term leased' to CNR

Government took a company that made money for years, then gutted large parts of it, for instant cash, and screwed the provincial revenues.

Now to get high(ish) speed up to Squamish etc, you need the provincial government, CNR, and which ever other companies are needed that have the experience to  ensure what ever type of train- is compatible with the needs of all the stakeholders.

too many fingers in the pie mix.

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Going up to Squamish/Whistler will have no choice but to be public/private- as the line is now 'long term leased' to CNR

Government took a company that made money for years, then gutted large parts of it, for instant cash, and screwed the provincial revenues.

Now to get high(ish) speed up to Squamish etc, you need the provincial government, CNR, and which ever other companies are needed that have the experience to  ensure what ever type of train- is compatible with the needs of all the stakeholders.

too many fingers in the pie mix.

Ok? Why is that not possible?

23 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I didn't say it wasn't possible, so I choose not to argue a point I didn't make.

you said too many fingers... kind of sounds like you meant it couldn't happen. But if you just mean hard, thats not a reason to not go ahead. 

On 4/23/2024 at 9:14 AM, Shift-4 said:

Between the thread title and this comment I should probably exit. Too many adult rated jokes popping into my head.

I will just say I look forward to visiting Europe and trying the train system there one day.

Initially I was "oooh too soon.The five of them guys haven't even got to court yet..."

• 3 weeks later...

Sat on Amtrak to Portland. My god, getting there was a nightmare. Almost 10 hours because of delays here and there and being stuck in Seattle for 40 minutes due to some track inspection right at the station. Nowhere to walk around, never did so much sitting. 

Came back and it took a couple hours less. Wifi on there isn't great since everyone is siphoning it, I could barely listen to 650 or Facebook. 

Make sure to bring snacks and something else to do that isn't Wifi dependent.