Trains-good and bad

26 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

When my daughter was living in PG, she used to take the train here to PR to visit. It's a loooong train ride to begin with, but several times she got side-tracked for freight trains, sometimes adding 2-4 hours to the 10-12 hour standard trip.

It takes 8 hours to drive.....

but, what if it means she didn't need the cost of a car the rest of the time? OK so its an extra few hours, but balanced against the ridiculous amount we pay per month for cars now, thats a small price to pay. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but, what if it means she didn't need the cost of a car the rest of the time? OK so its an extra few hours, but balanced against the ridiculous amount we pay per month for cars now, thats a small price to pay. 

Yeah, she doesn't have a car. Her options were the train or the bus. The train takes longer, but is more comfortable.

I would absolutely get behind a plan to increase passenger capacity. The only problem as I see it, is the fact that you need a way to get around, once you get where you're going. For example, I make fairly regular trips to Terrace. (about an hour and a half east) It costs me about a half a tank of gas ($40) when all is said and done.

If I could take a $20 train ride instead, that would be a worthwhile trade off. However, if I were going to Prince George, it's a bit more difficult getting where you're going.

Still, those are details. Anything of that sort of scale will have hurdles. It doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile goal.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

Passenger service where it makes sense re: Vegas - Los Angeles for example are a no brainer. Closer to home we will see further skytrain expansion but other than that limited in options as far as building and growing passenger service. 

The old BC Rail lines from North Vancouver north through Squamish could potentially offer something for inter Provincial travel. CN no longer runs freight regularly on the lines north of Squamish and even Squamish is very minimal in traffic. Most if any freight moving beyond Squamish is from detours re: the floods of a couple years ago as a secondary line or some hydro project supply or rail car storage. Versus when BC Rail was in full operation I think you could see much faster less delayed passenger service.

As for freight, its not an issue that it takes priority as it is the money maker. The North shore of Vancouver is quite bottlenecked as you have essentially one access point for all freight entering and leaving the northshore being the rail bridge at the Iron Workers memorial bridge. Thats it. An immense level of traffic and industry from Chemtrade at the rail bridge west to the Lionsgate Bridge where CN's McLean yard is located. Add in the increase in shipping expected to cross under the rail bridge daily putting it out of commission for periods of time and that bottleneck will only tighten. Quite amazing really to see the thousands of rail cars daily entering and leaving the entire northshore from that one line. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

That's the argument I usually see and I respectfully disagree. All you have to do is look at the smaller lines in Italy.

The smaller lines in Italy service more people (including tourisists) over less distance. It could maybe work somewhere like Vancouver Island connecting Campbell River to Victoria along the coast but I don't see it working in mainland BC.

You can go from Lucca, to Pisa, to La Spezia and into the cinque terra on a smaller regional line. But that distance is probably Vancouver to Hope, if that.

With all that said, if they put a line in from Vancouver to Kelowna and to Kamploops (via Merritt), it would get used but not enough to recoup the cost of the build + maintenance/running cost.

Sounds like vandals lit them on fire. Not sure how that is infrastructure related. 

London where this happened actually does have a decent train system for moving people (out of London not around) and a LOT of commercial trains considering it’s size. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But that's not really an issue here. We have examples from all over the world that run trains in similar conditions.

Your Italy and Shikoku examples kind of fell by the wayside, so what other examples did you want to present?

Just now, Bob Long said:

No they didn't, you are just in the rush to no camp.

Hey, I like the idea of passenger rail as much as any other person, but the reality of the situation points to it being not feasible at this stage (and a long ways from reaching feasibility).  It's clear that I don't share your optimism.

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hey, I like the idea of passenger rail as much as any other person, but the reality of the situation points to it being not feasible at this stage (and a long ways from reaching feasibility).  It's clear that I don't share your optimism.

Like I said, BC has often suffered from a no to everything mentality. Im shocked that the Coquihalla ever got built 😆

Not trying to blame you, but we need vision if we are going to find new solutions. And take some risks.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Not trying to blame you, but we need vision if we are going to find new solutions. And take some risks.

And the realist in me knows that the bean counters in management (along with the short termers in office) will only proceed if they can score a quick win.  Rail infrastructure and the timeline to breaking even is on too long a timescale for either to risk their necks.

• ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And the realist in me knows that the bean counters in management (along with the short termers in office) will only proceed if they can score a quick win.  Rail infrastructure and the timeline to breaking even is on too long a timescale for either to risk their necks.

We can't let the bean counters set the vision.

If we don't do something like proactive rail, we simply won't have affordable communities. Where do the next new million BC residents go?

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

Never thought to see a day, when B.C. would have issues with not enough water supply.

Yet here we are, and no long term planning seems to be done.

No extra dams, or even small pools created between the dam and the ocean.

Just let all the fresh water go to the sea, and hope it rains in the summer.

One of the Facebook pages I’m on a guy was saying at 50 this is the worst year for water levels combined with almost no snow all winter.  It’s going to get pretty scary, and may be the biggest challenge we will ever have to face.  That is if this is the new norm rather than an anomaly 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

We are taking over the world

I don't mean to insult, its just the lens you guys are trained to use.

We need a political leader with big brass ones that can sell a transformative vision for how we make BC more affordable. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I don't mean to insult, its just the lens you guys are trained to use.

We need a political leader with big brass ones that can sell a transformative vision for how we make BC more affordable. 

Not just BC.

Canada as a whole.

BC might be the most challenged with landscape.

I'm totally on board with more trains. Hence my original comment on wanting to experience it in Europe.

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

Not just BC.

Canada as a whole.

BC might be the most challenged with landscape.

I'm totally on board with more trains. Hence my original comment on wanting to experience it in Europe.

thats really what got me to be a believer, taking some of the smaller trains in the north in Italy where my wife's family is from. Its not like the regional ones are luxurious or anything, just available. Very mountainous like here too. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

@Bob Long.... Thought you would like this comparison table.

image.jpeg.e7bfceeb997b92e58de8c74fae76faab.jpeg

yep its pretty clear what we should be rolling the dice on, for future infrastructure. I have no doubt if we build more rail in BC, we will see home development follow.