Akito Hirose | #41 | LD

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Really think this pre season Hirose has shown he is ready to step in and play with the Canucks.

We would need to make room and trade a guy like Myers.

...and who's gonna replace Myers on the right side? We have no one there to begin with and might be playing a first-year rookie on the top pair with Hughes, trading away a RD to make room for LD makes absolutely no sense lol

12 hours ago, KingRaj91 said:

...and who's gonna replace Myers on the right side? We have no one there to begin with and might be playing a first-year rookie on the top pair with Hughes, trading away a RD to make room for LD makes absolutely no sense lol

Both Soucy and Cole have played the right side and are better then Myers .We would have two and a LD playing right.

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Both Soucy and Cole have played the right side and are better then Myers .We would have two and a LD playing right.

Ok and what happens if one of them get hurt? I get all the Myers slander and I'm all for getting rid of his shit contract, but he still needs to be replaced, we have no RD

2 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Ok and what happens if one of them get hurt? I get all the Myers slander and I'm all for getting rid of his shit contract, but he still needs to be replaced, we have no RD

So far 

Hronek, Myers,McWard,Woo, Johansson,Juulsen or however you spell it.

Bear could be ready in a couple months if we sign him.

So take Myers out and we have call ups plus two on the team that can play both sides.

Hughes himself said he is willing.How many more do you need?

20 hours ago, cripplereh said:

So far 

Hronek, Myers,McWard,Woo, Johansson,Juulsen or however you spell it.

Bear could be ready in a couple months if we sign him.

So take Myers out and we have call ups plus two on the team that can play both sides.

Hughes himself said he is willing.How many more do you need?

I thought Juulsen was brutal, but your point stands.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I thought Juulsen was brutal, but your point stands.

I quite liked Juulsen with Hughes last year. His underlying numbers were tight and he threw 43 hits. 

I’d put more weight in his 12 games last season, mostly playing with Hughes, than the first pre-season game where he was on an AHL team against an almost full NHL lineup. 

Juulsen is a guy who is best keeping things simple and adding a physical presence. I do not think he is a guy you want playing 20+ minutes responsible for carrying his partner and shutting down the opponents top players.

23 minutes ago, Canucklehead44 said:

I quite liked Juulsen with Hughes last year. His underlying numbers were tight and he threw 43 hits. 

I’d put more weight in his 12 games last season, mostly playing with Hughes, than the first pre-season game where he was on an AHL team against an almost full NHL lineup. 

Juulsen is a guy who is best keeping things simple and adding a physical presence. I do not think he is a guy you want playing 20+ minutes responsible for carrying his partner and shutting down the opponents top players.

Juulsson is too slow (physically and mentally) to play with Hughes. Hughes needs a guy who skates and thinks quick. Then Hughes can move forward more in his 5 on 5 play. McWard is both those things and he’s skilled and big enough (6’2 200) to absorb contact to free up pucks for Hughes when in our own zone, especially on opponent dump ins. Tanev was the perfect Hughes partner and McWard has a lot of the same traits. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Coach T was happy with his shape coming in after the summer. I think he might have asked him to try to add more muscle in the off season. 

Yup. If the definition of shape includes body weight and strength, then fit sure Hirose was not where he needs to be. It’s going to be very hard fir a guy who turns 25 this season to gain very much weight and strength over a summer though if he wants to keep his aerobic capacity and quickness where they were before. It’s hard to understand what Tocchet expects a guy in his mid 20’s to do in a summer to accomplish huge weight and strength gains? 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. If the definition of shape includes body weight and strength, then fit sure Hirose was not where he needs to be. It’s going to be very hard fir a guy who turns 25 this season to gain very much weight and strength over a summer though if he wants to keep his aerobic capacity and quickness where they were before. It’s hard to understand what Tocchet expects a guy in his mid 20’s to do in a summer to accomplish huge weight and strength gains? 

Interesting thought because I thought what makes him an Potential NHL player is his mobility and intelligence.  Might just need an opportunity if injuries arise.

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

Interesting thought because I thought what makes him an Potential NHL player is his mobility and intelligence.  Might just need an opportunity if injuries arise.

I think their staff can measure if he's even tried to add strength over the summer. If not 25-20 then I'm sure they would have been happy with even 5-10 lbs of muscle. But if he came back the exact same weight then no, he has to hit the weights more. Not status quo. He should know what Tocc wanted.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

On 10/4/2023 at 9:02 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I think their staff can measure if he's even tried to add strength over the summer. If not 25-20 then I'm sure they would have been happy with even 5-10 lbs of muscle. But if he came back the exact same weight then no, he has to hit the weights more. Not status quo. He should know what Tocc wanted.

20-25lbs in an offseason is incredibly unrealistic for anyone unless they follow the Jake Virtanen offseason special. 5lbs should have been doable though even with a stringier build. Of course we're all just speculating and who knows what Tocc actually meant.

• Haha 1