[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

For those of us who thought that Petey might be injured and that’s why he’s been pretty useless, Tocc’s comments today don’t support that. Tocc talked about ‘passengers’ and specifically said Petey needs to get going. Watching this series, Petey seems like a boy playing with men. He’s not hard on the puck, he falls down a lot, he loses board battles and puck possession a lot. We need him to wake up and be more intense, despite his wingers, if we are going to win this series. With so many UFAs to sign, we can’t afford to have 11.6 million go to someone who is playing like a 4.6 million centre. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I wonder if Tocchet made the "I'm thinking about putting Lekkerimaki in" comment, as just a way to motivate his players.

Where he feels he has to turn to a 19 year old rookie to get adequate scoring. Wake up veterans, this is your time! 

This is likely the case and makes a lot more sense.

I can't see him putting Lekkeramaki into such a fast and physically punishing series. 

Are we really considering putting in a raw Lekkerimaki before Podkolzin?

I get that there's been no bottom-line scoring from Podz at all this year, and he's been passed on the depth chart... but I really thought us being in the second round of the NHL playoffs would allow the guy to get some experience. He's a playoff type player in theory, and everybody loves the guy in the locker room - him scoring a key goal for us would be such a feel-good story for this group right now.

14 hours ago, stawns said:

I honestly wonder how people can watch the last three games and say anything other than the Canucks gave been completely dominated and are only tied thanks to arty.

I mean, cmon, they're averaging slightly over 6 shots a period and that's only because they pour it in for 3-4 mins once a game.  They probably had as many, or more, shots in that 8 mins than they had all game.

One player is the reason this series isn't over. 

Saying stuff like this just proves you look at shot totals and don't actually watch the game. Even with all those shots in the 3rd period of game 3 only one was a scoring chance. 

And further more if it wasn’t for Draisaitl, this series is over in 4 for Vancouver. So there’s that too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Okay definitely after seeing this I feel like something is very wrong. 

He seems so exhausted and low energy. It feels the same when he plays, he gets knocked down a lot and while he has always fallen down more then others it is different lately.

Either it wasn't just a "head cold" and could be a more serious illness (Matthews had a terrible virus during their run and he looked like death) or without speculating too far into it, might be mental health related. I feel bad for the guy definitely seems to be going through it. Hopefully he can get the help he needs to start feeling like himself again (physical and/or mental). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Lekkermaki has ZERO NHL or NHL playoff games experience

And

Hogslander 221 NHL + 8 NHL playoff games BUT -2

Lafferty 289 NHL + 10 NHL playoff games BUT -1 

Mikheyev 270 NHL + 10 NHL playoff games BUT -4

One could view it as will Lekkermaki be a + or - when on the ice? Right now, Hogs, Laff, and Mik are a combined -7 so how are they contributing to wins?

Karlsson came in and played 2 playoff games and is -1, so will he start being a + to his line or not.

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

Wow, he sounded depressed or drugged, no energy or enthusiasm.

Nah, he literally sounds like that all the time in front of media. He hates media. 

But at most, yes, maybe a little down because of his play, but at least he owned up to it publicly today. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Watching Tocchet's Wednesday video. It seems like Tocchet wants to motivate players by suggesting players would come out / new players come in, but he also knows it's mostly an empty threat because we don't really have options beyond who is playing already. 

I think that we may be facing an issue with Tocchet's style as a player and a coach not fitting with players like Kuzmenko, Pettersson, or Ilya Mikheyev who are more stick handling / passing players. He's commonly praised Miller and Garland who are American players with a tougher / assertive style of play. 

Is he struggling to connect or even understand how to fit Petey or Mik into the style of play that he wants the Canucks to play.

Should go through the normal channels to get the videos.....

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Not the finished version but, Yikes

I know he's Swedish, but jeez the guy is so reserved its disturbing.  Also, I've never seen a player look so suspicious and defensive at the media

He doesn't give a lot away, but what stood out was that he quick to agree with the statement about "Has this been the biggest mental challenge for you?"

Also what stood out:

"are you feeling the fun, or is it a little overwhelming?"

"Its...uh...very fun playing in the playoffs and trying to make the most of it"...said in the most uninterested monotonous tone possible

His disdain at everyone in the room for even having to sit there and answer questions is palpable.  You can tell its the last place he wants to be.   And really, what good does it actually do rubbing it in his face in public how awful he's been?  For some players that may work, to shame them into performing better, but for Petey, I think these sessions just compound the pressure for him.  But then again that's part of the job, so he better get used to it

Man I wish he'd have a good game next time.  Even if its with a lot of puck luck, goals bouncing in off a foot. Scores two or three goals.  He has to have another game where he can prove to himself, more than anyone, that he's a big part of the team.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 24K said:

Man I really gonna hate how annoying social media is going to be for the next 2 days. 

I wish we would wrap up this series in 5 just to not have to deal with it. 

Embrace it.

Okay, I know Petey doesn't like the media, so doing an interview is hard for him, but Jesus, show a little life. It's part of the job that pays you huge money. He seems either depressed, bored, on drugs, or just doesn't give a shit. I'd love to see the old Petey back, on and off the ice. I think he needs counseling, or a kick in the ass.