Cory Schneider announces his retirement

Was incredibly good, but for a shorter period than I would've guessed. I believe he still holds the save percentage record among Canuck goalies in a season.

For about three years in NJ, I felt he was a top 5 goalie in the league, but was too often overlooked.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Wall of Wonder said:

I remember when he was still a prospect with the Moose.  Time sure goes fast.

Same here, doesn't seem like it was so long ago that he was backing up Bobby Lu 

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Was increbly good, but for a shorter period than I would've guessed. I believe he still holds the save percentage record among Canuck goalies in a season.

For about three years in NJ, I felt he was a top 5 goalie in the league, but was too often overlooked.

He was legit elite there for a while, it just so happened that his peak coincided with the Devils being awful 

• Upvote 1

My wife and I loved this guy and I thought he should of had the start for Game 7 against Boston in 2011 alas we will never know what could of happened had he started over Luongo. He was a good goalie in his prime.

Edited by Shekky

13 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Too bad the devils were hot garbage while he was in his prime. Either way, good luck in retirement.

Actually I think it illustrates how wrong the draft lottery is.

2016-17 Devils 70 points, Canucks 69 points.

Devils 1st overall, Canucks 5th (Thank God we got EP40)

2018-19, Devils 72 points, Kings 71, Ottawa 64, Canucks 81 points.

Devils 1st overall, Rangers 2nd overall(78 Points), Chicago 3rd (Yet they got 84 points).

It would be nice if like last year we finished around 8th yet bucked the odds and got 1st overall.

1st overall for Vancouver is almost as elusive as the Stanley Cup. Hmm...maybe that's related?

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Dude was elite on a Jersey team that couldn't support him for a while there before his body broke down, he got us Bo who wound up being a better player than many folks anticipated he'd be. What could have been if we'd held on to him, who knows.

We need late draft picks to turn out and be impact players like those ones (Already 20 years ago) 😞

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Was incredibly good, but for a shorter period than I would've guessed. I believe he still holds the save percentage record among Canuck goalies in a season.

Ever since Burke said "Vancouver is a goalies graveyard"...we've had a number of Vezina calibre goalies that wore the Canucks jersey.  Luongo, Schneider, Markstrom, and now Demko.  Goalie prospect has been rock solid since Dave Nonis was GM extending to today (not saying no mistakes were made but its been overall very consistant.....consistantly good/great).

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ever since Burke said "Vancouver is a goalies graveyard"...we've had a number of Vezina calibre goalies that wore the Canucks jersey.  Luongo, Schneider, Markstrom, and now Demko.  Goalie prospect has been rock solid since Dave Nonis was GM extending to today (not saying no mistakes were made but its been overall very consistant.....consistantly good/great).

To be fair, a number of those were Vezina calibre while with the team. Notably Luongo, but even Markstrom finished 4th in his last year with us. Back in the day I believe McLean finished 2nd once and maybe 3rd another time. The goalie graveyard moniker is more representative of the era of the late 90s through early 00s. Once Cloutier took over, although he wasn't super reliable, we at least had a stable #1 netminder.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, puckstopper said:

Great guy and being behind loungo, he dealt with that with so much class! Yes! in 2011, he should have been given 

a chance to steal a game in boston! Happy retirement bro!

Shouldn't be forgotten that Luongo basically letting Schneider "share" the Jennings trophy win that one year.  He didn't have to (being the vet).

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Miller was also elite once upon a time.