Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Are you seriously telling me you're not familiar with what happened with JWR? Because if you aren't i will take the time to explain it to you and we can discuss it. But if you are just trying to act as if there was a cabinet shuffle then I'm not going to waste my time.

whew thank you, my time also thanks you

That was just a joke for grins. Hope your happy and smiling too. 

I had fun rehashing all these old arguments today, and I appreciate the opportunity to. I have seen everything you have said today said dozens or hundreds of times, like talking points from a lifelong politician were passed out on cards to the masses...oh wait, that is exactly what happened. 

Funny true story: Pierre Poilievre first came to Harper and Preston Manning's attention with a paper he wrote in college about why elected officials should only be allowed to serve two terms in office in Canada. Then the big wigs of Reform brought him into the fold and he ran for office in 2004, and WON! Good for Pierre, fresh out of school, a young 24 years of age and with a good idea that every elected official like fish would stink after two terms in office. 

I remember it like it was 2 terms ago...but it was in fact 7, seven whole elections ago that Pierre Poilievre was elected to office on a Grande Idea of limiting career politicians time at the 'trough'. Wow, hard to believe 20 years has passed that he has earned over 200 thousand a year in 'pork from the trough'...carry the one... ah yes, the guy whos only job as an Adult  has been POLITICIAN has been paid almost 5 million dollars by the taxpayers and NOW he wants to be Prime Minister for another good pay raise to bump the golden parachute higher before he takes a spot on an Oil Co.'s board of directors. lol. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I had fun rehashing all these old arguments today, and I appreciate the opportunity to. I have seen everything you have said today said dozens or hundreds of times, like talking points from a lifelong politician were passed out on cards to the masses...oh wait, that is exactly what happened. 

Funny true story: Pierre Poilievre first came to Harper and Preston Manning's attention with a paper he wrote in college about why elected officials should only be allowed to serve two terms in office in Canada. Then the big wigs of Reform brought him into the fold and he ran for office in 2004, and WON! Good for Pierre, fresh out of school, a young 24 years of age and with a good idea that every elected official like fish would stink after two terms in office. 

I remember it like it was 2 terms ago...but it was in fact 7, seven whole elections ago that Pierre Poilievre was elected to office on a Grande Idea of limiting career politicians time at the 'trough'. Wow, hard to believe 20 years has passed that he has earned over 200 thousand a year in 'pork from the trough'...carry the one... ah yes, the guy whos only job as an Adult  has been POLITICIAN has been paid almost 5 million dollars by the taxpayers and NOW he wants to be Prime Minister for another good pay raise to bump the golden parachute higher before he takes a spot on an Oil Co.'s board of directors. lol. 

Pierre Pollievre, man of the blue collar working people........who's never had a grown up job, outside of politics in his life.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

There is separation between the government and the courts, one side in a court case can ask to have the case removed, but the Judge vis a vis consultation with both sides and stakeholders would have made that decision. If we could unilaterally end court cases we are involved in, wouldn't we all just do that rather than go to court? I just don't get the complaint in this case: SOunds mad Trudeau didn't intervene to quash a case? while simultaneosly is mad he tried to intervene to save 12 thousand jobs in the Lavelin affair. Make up your mind: should he tamper with the courts or should he not? lol Cake and Eat it too crowd is getting tiring.

Trudeau himself said he was appalled the government was taking veterans to court. He then continued that court case. He absolutely could have withdrew from it.

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Yeah cuz there's a lot of people living in Ontario that are on oil companies board of governors

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Trudeau himself said he was appalled the government was taking veterans to court. He then continued that court case. He absolutely could have withdrew from it.

TO be clear I actually don't know what court case you are referring to off the top of my head, but I can say that there have been three court cases involving veterans to my knowledge in the last decade and vets won all three that I am aware of. So you will forgive this veteran for not hating that the cases proceeded. If you can cite the Case "johnson et al v the queen" or "the queen v Col Jonson et al" or what not then i can look it up and be better informed about what you are referring to.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

TO be clear I actually don't know what court case you are referring to off the top of my head, but I can say that there have been three court cases involving veterans to my knowledge in the last decade and vets won all three that I am aware of. So you will forgive this veteran for not hating that the cases proceeded. If you can cite the Case "johnson et al v the queen" or "the queen v Col Jonson et al" or what not then i can look it up and be better informed about what you are referring to.

You know exactly what I'm talking about because you quoted what he told the veteran and Edmonton that the veterans are asking for more than they can give. That court case was started under the conservatives. That case was the one that he railed against and vowed to squash and he never did. He continued it. He had the power and authority to squash it and chose not to.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

You know exactly what I'm talking about because you quoted what he told the veteran and Edmonton that the veterans are asking for more than they can give. That court case was started under the conservatives. That case was the one that he railed against and vowed to squash and he never did. He continued it. He had the power and authority to squash it and chose not to.

and then the veterans won. it is almost like he knew they would and allowed it to happen...

Yet there are a LOT of former Conservative cabinet ministers/party leaders on them, so it is a safe guess. 

Do you have a problem with that? Cuz there's liberal cabinet ministers that were part of Greenpeace. They even broke the law too. Yet here he is with a top portfolio.

and then the veterans won. it is almost like he knew they would and allowed it to happen...

Crazy. So then Harper knew they would win as well and he was actually trying to get them more money? Or only Trudeau seeing this or they were both wrong  they were both ridiculous Scum for doing what they attempted to do? I know which one I think it was

Edited by Ryan Strome

Do you have a problem with that? Cuz there's liberal cabinet ministers that were part of Greenpeace. They even broke the law too. Yet here he is with a top portfolio.

it is something I think the general population should consider when deciding who to vote for. 

Crazy. So then Harper knew they would win as well and he was actually trying to get them more money? Or only Trudeau seeing this or they were both wrong but they were both ridiculous. Scum for doing what they attempted to do? I know which one I think it was

I still dont really know the case, i remember the town hall quote that we both agree on: I was takin the piss just now...a british term for having fun with it...

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

So you are anti-oil industry?

Some of my favourite people work in the Energy sector. I still think it is incredibly important to realize the sheer volume of ex Conservative ministers, insiders and party leaders who are now on the payroll of that same industry. 

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

I still dont really know the case, i remember the town hall quote that we both agree on: I was takin the piss just now...a british term for having fun with it...

Yeah I actually one of my best friends is from Wales so I get it. I will give the guy credit and that he's attempted to grow the military. He did make a promise to give more money though. That has been pretty much not happening but he isn't the only prime minister to do so. But yes, he railed against what Harper was doing and then continued itself and he did have the power to pull out withdraw from the case. I don't care which party you support or which person you support hell I voted for Harper but once he made deep cuts to the military and did what he did to our veterans the following election I voted for some no chance party in my riding. Libertarian party iirc.

Some of my favourite people work in the Energy sector. I still think it is incredibly important to realize the sheer volume of ex Conservative ministers, insiders and party leaders who are now on the payroll of that same industry. 

Okay sounds like this is a discussion for another day as I got to leave. Probably be gone for most of the evening, but we can have this conversation another time if you wish.

Just now, stawns said:

Are you really trying to equate Greenpeace with big oil?

I don't think that's what I was doing. I think I was just pointing out how the environment minister likes to break the law. Also, it's just one end of the spectrum to the other. If you think being involved with oil companies is about thing. There's lots of people that would tell you being involved with green peace might be about thing. Maybe ask Israel.

I really like that the Environment Minister is someone with a lifelong passion for helping to preserve our life sustaining environs here on the only earth we will ever know. 

Rona Ambrose took over the portfolio from Stephane Dion, one of the smartest environment ministers in our nations history, and she said on live radio something along the lines of "It is my job as Environment Minister to work out how we can squeeze every last nickel of value out of it" Granted her version was a 90 second adlib and mine is paraphrasing of it...but you can maybe see why I much prefer the Greenpeacer, despite my general distaste of Greenpeace the organization. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Okay sounds like this is a discussion for another day as I got to leave. Probably be gone for most of the evening, but we can have this conversation another time if you wish.

I don't think that's what I was doing. I think I was just pointing out how the environment minister likes to break the law. Also, it's just one end of the spectrum to the other. If you think being involved with oil companies is about thing. There's lots of people that would tell you being involved with green peace might be about thing. Maybe ask Israel.

Have a good evening, I did enjoy the banter back and forth, but I wouldn't really wanna do it again. Too much of a time sink...was entertaining on my end though. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I find it bizarre when I hear Justin Trudeau make comments speaking out against populism in Canada. He's the root cause of why there's populism in Canada. 

You...do know it;s actualy Poiliverre engaging in populism right now right?

Populism is the political act of striving to appeal to ordinary people and voters who feel their voices and conerns are being ignored by the elite.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You...do know it;s actualy Poiliverre engaging in populism right now right?

Populism is the political act of striving to appeal to ordinary people and voters who feel their voices and conerns are being ignored by the elite.

Exactly so now you agree with me that Trudeau is the root cause of it. 

57 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You deny that OP’s actual experience about the Veteran Pension under Trudeau is better than it was under Harper? 

What excuse was he making? 

I can also speak first hand that our veterans are getting way better support under Trudeau.  This can’t be denied. 

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Then why did you respond? And I'm not sure that he can speak to it more than anybody else can. For example, you don't know if I'm a veteran and I don't know if you are. I mean you could be actively serving in the armed forces for all I know. But the fact remains the case that was before the courts Trudeau said was terrible and he continued it. Those things are factual.

To make you very aware now and for the future, my age is irrelevant. 

While there are nuances to the issue at hand, I feel PO is better suited to discuss your questions as he is a veteran. 

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

To make you very aware now and for the future, my age is irrelevant. 

While there are nuances to the issue at hand, I feel PO is better suited to discuss your questions as he is a veteran. 

I'm asking why you even responded in the first place, but now you are right. Maybe he is better to answer it. But then again I wouldn't know if you were a veteran and maybe you could answer it. Who knows. But if you were to read the thread, he wasn't all that familiar himself but we figured it out. Anyways, I'm going to be busy for the rest of the evening. You have yourself a good night.