Funding idea

I had an idea occur to me while going through a few threads. Some folks on here are of the gambling and wagering type and have seen many donations go to the Canucks charity for kids as a result. What if we killed two birds with one stone?  @Ribs has set up this forum for all of us as a result of CDC being shut down. Instead of us all individually sending money their way we could have someone (well known and trusted on here) collect money from all wagers/donations/whatever else we can come up with and pay for the expenses of the site and send any remaining to charity in the form of a lump sum from this community. Something to show the power of what we have here.  We are a great bunch of fans and I bet we can dk some real good while we bicker about Raymond, Ballard and a first. Thoughts?

Kind of a fun idea!

Two things on my mind though:

1. I'm not a lawyer, but I do wonder if legal issues could arise if it becomes too close to a proper gambling sort of lottery.

2. Donations are awesome, but it would be financially prudent to build up a few month's worth of funding for the forums in advance of needing the fees instead of always donating the excess away. I think if it became obvious that we were able to raise a significant surplus above what we need to run the forums, we could start something like that; however, donations done under the impression that they were all going to the running of the forum would have to be used for that use only unless the donors specifically retroactively noted that their donations would be acceptable to be used as charitable donations.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of a fun idea!

1. I'm not a lawyer, but I do wonder if legal issues could arise if it becomes too close to a proper gambling sort of lottery.

2. Donations are awesome, but it would be financially prudent to build up a few month's worth of funding for the forums in advance of needing the fees instead of always donating the excess away. I think if it became obvious that we were able to raise a significant surplus above what we need to run the forums, we could start something like that; however, donations done under the impression that they were all going to the running of the forum would have to be used for that use only unless the donors specifically retroactively noted that their donations would be acceptable to be used as charitable donations.

Yeah, I think you've got the right idea. I could absolutely see a forum movement of individuals collectively deciding to donate to cause but I do think it'd still have to be done on an individual basis as opposed to folks collectively sending money to someone. It's just less messy that way. 

Building up funds to keep this place afloat should be the primary objective though if members are actually sending money to a mod or administrator. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of a fun idea!

I totally see your points, just a thought that occurred to me as ribs has been pretty adamant about not turning a profit. I also agree that keeping a bank to make sure this stays running should be a priority. Maybe it’s the optimist in me but I expect that this group will be generous enough to do more than just stay above water. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

@Ribs

I'm seeing a new pop up ad everytime I switch a page.
It jumps from bottom. Annoying imo.

Just sayin' 🙂 

It should go away soon, I think? Google keeps activating 'tests' like this without letting me know.

• Thanks 1