[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Krakens, Climate Pledge Arena, September 28, @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #3

Truefan99

Who will win?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/29/2023 at 01:59 AM

2 hours ago, XxNaslundxX said:

I like RT as a coach. I think he is properly evaluating our issues and seeing our fallthroughs. I like hearing that he feels he needs to watch tape and stuff like that to properly decide. Im not worrying until regular season. We have the peices to be competitive. I just really dont want to be out of the pack by december and i feel many of us share that sentiment. 

While I have high hopes that the team makes the playoffs this year, at the very least I want to see them in the hunt in the final couple of weeks, even if they need to win like 5 of their last 7 games or something. It's hard to enjoy a season when realistically the team is out of contention by January. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

While I have high hopes that the team makes the playoffs this year, at the very least I want to see them in the hunt in the final couple of weeks, even if they need to win like 5 of their last 7 games or something. It's hard to enjoy a season when realistically the team is out of contention by January. 

Åman 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kilgore said:

See, for me that three year term was a plus, not a minus.  We need to fill those 7 and 8 spots with someone. And we could have stopped the merry go round every year for at least one of those spots. Security for both the Canucks and Burroughs for the next 3 seasons. He's the perfect bottom pairing D, at the very least, for any team. And San Jose saw it.  Physicality, simple plays.  He was one of the very few on our D who knew how to efficiently hit a player off the puck and then, unlike Myers, make a good pass to someone actually  on our team. 

I thought it was telling how Boudreau during his final months, and Tocchet in the last part of the season without Schenn, would put Kyle with Hughes.  He was kind of like a Schenn light. A simple play player who can defend his partner. Going into his prime age and NHL experience, and already familiar with the coach.  Anyways, its done. And its not the most important position to fill.  But IMO a short sighted decision by management.

Yeah there's a reason bottom of the lineup players typically don't get that kind of term. It's too risky, especially with the cap being so low.

Remember Beagle? One of Benning's major flaws was commiting too much money and term to replacement level players. Players at Burroughs' level more often than not fizzle out after a few good years in the league. I'm not saying this will happen to him, I hope he has a long successful career with plenty more long-term deals. But the fact of the matter is you have to be pretty cutthroat if you want to run a successful NHL team. Singing depth defenders to medium terms deals is exactly the kind of thinking that earned Jim Benning his reputation as one of the worst GM's ever in professional sports.

On a one year deal I'd gladly take Boroughs back. I feel like we will miss his toughness a lot this year. Schenn too, but then again I could make the exact same argument for his contract in Nashville. It's actually probably more risky given his age. 

Edited by sashimi
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Calling out RT on gambling is pathetic. What is the worst thing you've ever done? Let's compare if we're calling people out. Sorry I don't mean to get in the middle of this but the dishonesty of that argument is getting painfully sad. What the hell is this world coming to when internet mobs are passing judgement on humans from a list of former misdoings without even knowing the person at all? There are very few people that have never done anything wrong or questionable.

It's an exhibition game. You're not going to get work-rate buy in you can judge from a fictional team that will never play a game of hockey. Why on earth would RT lie about it and why would you care? He seems very earnest and honest when it comes to hockey. There were what, 10 regulars playing and pretty much zero competition for jobs. That's what happens when you spend to the cap on a bottom 10 hockey team.

Honestly I kinda like Tochett more for the whole gambling scandal. It was like what 15 years ago anyways? He's obviously grown up quite a lot since then. Nothing wrong with a checkered past if you're doing all the right things now. 

Also look how things have changed since then. Gambling has become completely normalized. One could say Tochett was ahead of his time 😂.

Given some of  the reputations of other coaches in the league *cough cough Babcock* and their actual deplorable behavior I think Rick is just fine.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Calling out RT on gambling is pathetic. What is the worst thing you've ever done? Let's compare if we're calling people out. Sorry I don't mean to get in the middle of this but the dishonesty of that argument is getting painfully sad. What the hell is this world coming to when internet mobs are passing judgement on humans from a list of former misdoings without even knowing the person at all? There are very few people that have never done anything wrong or questionable.

Thank you for saying that.

The real kicker is it doesn't matter what OPs "bad things" in their personal life are either!

We wouldn't use those unrelated incidents as a legitimate critique against their credibility in their areas of expertise, whatever they may be.

It's simply not relevant. They're different things.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Thank you for saying that.

The real kicker is it doesn't matter what OPs "bad things" in their personal life are either!

We wouldn't use those unrelated incidents as a legitimate critique against their credibility in their areas of expertise, whatever they may be.

It's simply not relevant. They're different things.

Yeah I felt I had to say something. Could you imagine if every person you met had to list all their past misgivings and be judged at every encounter? We're talking about a hockey coach you watch on TV, not a caregiver for our children.

It looks like RT is a pretty caring, smart, dedicated, and decent individual from my vantage point. He seems to have made fairly good choices after that incident and is a contributing member of society. Not that my opinion matters lol.

Regarding the team, I can't wait for real hockey games. Then the real judgement starts. 😆

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I felt I had to say something. Could you imagine if every person you met had to list all their past misgivings and be judged at every encounter? We're talking about a hockey coach you watch on TV, not a caregiver for our children.

It looks like RT is a pretty caring, smart, dedicated, and decent individual from my vantage point. He seems to have made fairly good choices after that incident and is a contributing member of society. Not that my opinion matters lol.

Regarding the team, I can't wait for real hockey games. Then the real judgement starts. 😆

In the society of the last 10 years, people are irredeemable, no apology matters, and people's lives need to be ruined forever. 

Yet in 2023 you still find some saying "what cancel culture?" 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

In the society of the last 10 years, people are irredeemable, no apology matters, and people's lives need to be ruined forever. 

Yet in 2023 you still find some saying "what cancel culture?" 

Yeah it's getting out of hand. Back when I was young all people made mistakes and it's how you rebounded and carried yourself after that mattered. Now we've entered a territory where you are not allowed to make a mistake and if you do it will follow you around forever, even if it's minor, and even if the people doing the calling out have erred worse themselves.

Pretty soon all we'll be is a name and a list of things we've done wrong. The ironic part of all of this is people probably only get 10% of their wrongdoings recorded. Most people have a long list of things that only their conscious judges and knows about. It's really a piss poor way of deciding the value of another human being.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

One of the big societal problems the pandemic exacerbated is that everyone was able to retreat into their own echo chambers and no one had to deal with learning how to listen to opposing opinions and ideas. As a result, pretty much everyone has become much more entrenched in their own view points and less likely to consider alternatives. 

This was big problem before the pandemic but yeah I don't doubt the pandemic didn't help.

Trump's election was a huge wake up call to the effects of social media echo chambers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah it's getting out of hand. Back when I was young all people made mistakes and it's how you rebounded and carried yourself after that mattered. Now we've entered a territory where you are not allowed to make a mistake and if you do it will follow you around forever, even if it's minor, and even if the people doing the calling out have erred worse themselves.

Pretty soon all we'll be is a name and a list of things we've done wrong. The ironic part of all of this is people probably only get 10% of their wrongdoings recorded. Most people have a long list of things that only their conscious judges and knows about. It's really a piss poor way of deciding the value of another human being.

Exactly! 

I'm so glad I grew up before everything was recorded! 🙂

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, sashimi said:

Trump's election was a huge wake up call to the effects of social media echo chambers. 

I cannot stand trump. He's one of the biggest frauds in history. 

And it would sure be nice if the other side of the political divide would stop doing the kinds of things that got trump elected in the first place. If that fraud gets elected again , there will be plenty of blame to go around on both sides 

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, sashimi said:

This was big problem before the pandemic but yeah I don't doubt the pandemic didn't help.

After Bush I didn't think it was possible to find a dumber human being on the planet.

Loop Trump GIF

But then: An even bigger nincompoop was voted in as President of the USA

Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

It's simply unbelievable they elected a real life Beavis and Butthead cartoon.

Donald Trump GIF by GIPHY News Animated GIF

Donald Trump GIF Donald Trump GIF by NowThis

Priceless 🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, A_G said:

Wowee Tocchett ripped Joshua. Just now he’s talking to the strength&conditioning coaches?  Yikes man.  Trade bait? 

Joshua has zero trade value. Tocchet wants Joshua to play tough. And if the player continues to be a puck sucker he will be in the minors. Which is actually where he belongs. Joshua is a puck sucker. We are a losing team if he’s on it. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

After Bush I didn't think it was possible to find a dumber human being on the planet.

Loop Trump GIF

But then: An even bigger nincompoop was voted in as President of the USA

Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

It's simply unbelievable they elected a real life Beavis and Butthead cartoon.

Donald Trump GIF by GIPHY News Animated GIF

Donald Trump GIF Donald Trump GIF by NowThis

Priceless 🤣

Funny for sure. But what’s the connection to this thread? Like Trump all you want but his promotion in non political threads has to stop. 

5 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I don’t think I could survive another 4 months of various tank emojis and gifs. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Funny for sure. But what’s the connection to this thread? Like Trump all you want but his promotion in non political threads has to stop. 

I'm not sure I understand your post. Obviously I don't like Trump at all if you read my post. Ummm read the posts to see the connection. A comment was made about how social media helped to elect that moron. I jumped in to make fun of him. Is this against the rules or frowned upon? Help me Alf ... I'am out of the loop.

• Cheers 1