Truth & Reconciliation

-dlc-

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Take time to remember all those kids lost to the world and their families, in Residential schools, and the ones yet to be found. 

That video talks of 220 students....that's how many we have at our school and I can't imagine how this stuff just slid past without anyone intervening. 150,000 kids in all?

Kerosene? Really? White paint? What kind of freaks do this?

The part where he talked about waving at his sister....gah, just gets me in the throat.

It truly boggles my mind. Kids. 

We really missed out on learning a lot back then...although I'm super proud that my father, who was friends with indigenous people, lived like them. Off the land. Hunted ducks and geese. Fished. Smokes and pickles salmon and herring (to this day). Trapped mink. Grew his own food. Maybe it's why I feel so connected to these people and the land...I was brought up to respect them both.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

That video talks of 220 students....that's how many we have at our school and I can't imagine how this stuff just slid past without anyone intervening. 150,000 kids in all?

Kerosene? Really? White paint? What kind of freaks do this?

The part where he talked about waving at his sister....gah, just gets me in the throat.

It truly boggles my mind. Kids. 

We really missed out on learning a lot back then...although I'm super proud that my father, who was friends with indigenous people, lived like them. Off the land. Hunted ducks and geese. Fished. Smokes and pickles salmon and herring (to this day). Trapped mink. Grew his own food. Maybe it's why I feel so connected to these people and the land...I was brought up to respect them both.

So you do respect me then? All these years I thought you never did lol.

Great thread Deb. What are you going to do today to  remember? There was a small event earlier at a park where I live. Live music but quite cold out today.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So you do respect me then? All these years I thought you never did lol.

Great thread Deb. What are you going to do today to  remember? There was a small event earlier at a park where I live. Live music but quite cold out today.

Yep, I respect you.

I am going to do what I did last year....spend time in nature with my own kids and appreciate every element of it. Indigenous people are protectors of this earth and so I will remember not to take it for granted.

I will reflect on how those parents felt losing their own children. 

Listen to some indigenous artists (doing so right now). Be kind to others...it starts with me and you and we have to practice what we preach.

We had a really moving assembly yesterday put together by a friend of mine (which is where the video above was first brought to my attention). So I'll carry that with me today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Listen to some indigenous artists (doing so right now)

I came across First Nations artist Cris Derksen some time ago.  I enjoy her mashup of traditional First Nation chanting and classical music.

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Here in Aus we have a long way to go to catch up to you guys.

We are having a referendum in a couple of weeks, about and indigenous voice to Parliament.

Funny, well not really, using the word indigenous to describe the people who have been living here in Australia for over 60,000 years.

The oldest continuous culture on this planet. 

I note people have posted a couple of songs.

This one best illustrates the vicious cycle " our mob " how they described themselves, are caught in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

We are having a referendum in a couple of weeks, about and indigenous voice to Parliament.

Funny, well not really, using the word indigenous to describe the people who have been living here in Australia for over 60,000 years.

This one best illustrates the vicious cycle " our mob " how they described themselves, are caught in.

I actually have a friend in Australia though I haven't spoken with him much in probably the last 5 years, but I remember him telling me about 10 years ago that Australia can be quite a racist place towards indigenous people. Obviously that's only one person's view. But yeah I would be interested in hearing some of your viewpoints.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

I used to play school soccer against St Mary's. when i was a kid.    We would bus over and play at their school. 

No one ever explained what a residential school was to any of us kids.   We just saw it as a soccer game against any other school.   Our schools failed to educate us and teach us truth. 

I have tremendous respect for my first nations community.  Love the way they respect and care for the river / salmon and forests in my community. 

Edited by moosehead
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I actually have a friend in Australia though I haven't spoken with him much in probably the last 5 years, but I remember him telling me about 10 years ago that Australia can be quite a racist place towards indigenous people. Obviously that's only one person's view. But yeah I would be interested in hearing some of your viewpoints.

Yes, while we are improving, there is a strong undercurrent of racism in this country. 

Neo Nazis have been popping there heads up.

This is in may this year.

Earlier this year

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/mar/20/victoria-to-ban-nazi-salute-after-anti-trans-protest-melbourne-australia

The far right nutters are using the same old dog whistles for the upcoming referendum.

21 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Liked the movie "Rabbit proof fence".  

The last school in BC closed in the early 80's. The last school in Canada closed in the 90s in Saskatchewan.  Victims of this system are very much still alive.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Liked the movie "Rabbit proof fence".  

The last school in BC closed in the early 80's. The last school in Canada closed in the 90s in Saskatchewan.  Victims of this system are very much still alive.

If you liked Rabbit Proof fence I recommend Sweet Country.

Great cast, well written, and filmed up north. 

We have our stolen generations.

The original Australians 1910 - 1970

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/timeline-stolen-generations/m4y91u344

The stolen generation I belong to.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/white-mothers-of-stolen-children-also-deserve-an-apology-20101207-18o7t.html

Up until 1982, 250,000 babies were forcibly taken from their mothers.

Some of the mothers were drugged, chained to their beds.

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1