Ranking each Canadian team’s forward corps ahead of the 2023-24 NHL season Canucks #4

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ranking-each-canadian-teams-forward-corps-ahead-of-the-2023-24-nhl-season/

A week from now, the new NHL season will officially arrive. The promise and potential of pre-season hockey will give way to the real thing, all the off-season predictions confirmed and upended one by one as 2023-24’s history is written.

For the league’s Canadian teams, it’ll be a year of expectation, again. Of Stanley Cup dreams for some, redemption for others, meaningful progress for all of them. And of highlight-reel brilliance.

In a league now dominated, more than anything else, by dynamic offensive displays, the Canadian clubs were all well-represented on that front last season. A third of the top 15 scorers in the game made their magic wearing Canadian team sweaters, led by the best pure scorer the sport’s ever seen, continuing to drop jaws while in blue and orange

Without Bo and the addition of our defensive-minded coach in Tocchet, it's only reasonable to expect reduced scoring from our forward group; however, the addition of Blueger and Suter, again along with Tocchet should make our forward defense much better. At the very least, we should be a more balanced team this year. I think there's a chance we'll be better, provided that injuries don't decimate us.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

Without Bo and the addition of our defensive-minded coach in Tocchet, it's only reasonable to expect reduced scoring from our forward group; however, the addition of Blueger and Suter, again along with Tocchet should make our forward defense much better. At the very least, we should be a more balanced team this year. I think there's a chance we'll be better, provided that injuries don't decimate us.

For sure not having Horfat Wallet cheating for offensive numbers will help us defensively. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

That is one way to think of that and it may be partially true.. but i think we all can agree hockey is part of its sums... while we lost bo we gained hronek Suter and Beau, arguably these players should make up the difference that bo provided on the powerplay. further more we should expect slight improvements from our sub 27 year old players provided they are healthy...

and i believe our defensive players will actually help with offense too on 5v5 if they arent scoring on us... we are scoring on them!

overall with a healthy and ready to play demko and our improved defensive structure I think we can and should win more games, i think its likely we win at least 5 more games depending on luck, that number could be 0 more wins or 10 more wins...

• ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

agreed. 

don't need the 4 or 5 goals if the other team manages to put in 6. 

defensive stability is really what was lacking and i feel like we'll get more of that this year.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

This year it is tough to make of what we are going to be. 
I agree with the rankings mostly. I think Stutzle is good player but people are talking about him like a superstar at this point.  He has a good PF though which really helps.  This is why Podz stalling hurts so much. I could flip us and Ottawa but am not mad about that placement. 
I just don’t know about this forward group. Feels like a mismatch with the coach, or a WIP anyway. 
I like the adds of Blueger, Soucy and Cole because they just kill anything that goes through the centre of the ice. The Canucks have played too much on the perimeter on O and D last few years. 
Really don’t know what to make of this group yet. Do think Q and EP will do special things but not sure team will.

End of day, answer is probably simple, Demko. 

Edited by DrJockitch

Seems fair, Oil and Leafs rely on their firepower up front and they've got quite a bit. Sens have some fantastic young talent up front and Giroux can still produce. Could easily see Tarasenko flourishing in Ottawa's top six. 

We lost Bo and that was a hit to our offense, we got Hronek out of it but we never really replaced the goals lost up front. The guys we brought in during the offseason will likely help us be better defensively and they'll probably chip in offensively as well but it's likely our offense dips. Particularly if the team focuses more on it's defense and doesn't free wheel as much. 

On 10/2/2023 at 4:28 PM, Thrago said:

If all goes well we should have 3 30 goal scorers and 4 20 goal scorers which is pretty good, our biggest problem is we get almost no goals from our Defense.  Hopefully Hronek and Soucy can help that out a bit.

I have a feeling Hughes will contribute more goals this season. It looks like he worked on his shot during the offseason. 

• Cheers 1