[Speculation] Stan Bowman drawing interest despite not yet reinstated by NHL

Dreger commented on Insider Trading a few minutes ago that Stan Bowman has received interest from clubs who are hoping he will soon be reinstated by Commissioner Bettman. 

Posting this article (over a month old) that provides some info as to what’s been occurring in the background but eventual reinstatement seems inevitable if clubs are already interviewing Bowman:

BREAKING: Former NHL General Manager Stan Bowman Spotted in Chicago

BY SKY    

SEPTEMBER 8, 2023  (4:15 PM)

Quenneville and Bowman Address NHL Executives in Chicago

Joel Quenneville and Stan Bowman, a coach and a general manager whose careers are intertwined with both triumph and one of the NHL's darkest scandals, took the stage at an O'Hare Airport hotel ballroom in Chicago on Friday. They addressed the league's assembled head coaches and GMs, sharing their experiences and "lessons learned," according to Commissioner Gary Bettman.

An Engaged Audience

Despite their roles in the Chicago Blackhawks' cover-up of an alleged sexual assault by video coach Brad Aldrich on player Kyle Beach during the 2010 playoffs, Quenneville and Bowman captured the rapt attention of the 64 coaches and GMs in attendance. The two have been banned from the league since October 2021.

A Delicate Reinstatement

While they made their case to their fellow GMs and coaches, it's Commissioner Bettman's sole decision whether to reinstate them. Both Quenneville and Bowman have been working behind the scenes to earn their reinstatement. Quenneville has engaged in discussions with hockey activist Brock McGillis about power dynamics and player relations, while Bowman has been quietly collaborating with Sheldon Kennedy's Respect Group for over a year.

Bettman's Decision Looms

The specifics of Quenneville's and Bowman's presentations remain undisclosed, but Bettman emphasized that their presence in Chicago was voluntary and not part of any mandated reinstatement process. He affirmed his responsibility to make a judgment on when or if they should be reinstated.

A Potential Return

Bowman was interviewed for the Calgary Flames' general manager position this past summer, and Quenneville, the second-winningest coach in NHL history, would likely be in high demand if reinstated. The hockey world awaits Commissioner Bettman's decision on whether these two figures will return to the NHL fold.

https://www.hawksinsider.com/BREAKING-Former-NHL-General-Manager-Stan-Bowman-Spotted-in-Chicago-273923

From Insider Trading:

Former Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman and coach Joel Quenneville met with the NHL general managers and coaches about a month ago where they shared their experiences about the last two years after resigning in the wake of the sexual abuse scandal involving the Blackhawks. Is there any word on their possible reinstatement into the league?

Darren Dreger: They haven’t been cleared yet and there hasn’t been any indication, specific to Bowman, as to when commissioner Gary Bettman will reinstate the former NHL general manager. I can tell you guys that clubs do have interest in Bowman in some hiring capacity. However, he’s not allowed to move forward at all until he’s been reinstated by the commissioner.

In the meantime, Bowman continues to work with Respect In Sport group and will be working with USA Hockey next week.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-new-jersey-devils-timo-meier-benching-sends-clear-message-to-team-1.2022333?tsn-amp

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I haven't seen anything to give credence to the idea that he's learned from his mistakes. Until he learns that covering up sexual abuse is not okay, he needs to be kept away.

He’s putting on a good show to save face working with Sheldon Kennedy’s org (he is a survivor of sexual abuse by ex-coach Graham James), but yeah I don’t trust him.

Kennedy’s org:

https://www.respectgroupinc.com

What Bowman should be doing is publicly begging Kyle Beach for forgiveness and at the same time, exposing everyone who was involved or aware (ahem Toews/Kane).

Stan’s daddy’s legacy is the only thing saving his ass, and nepotism in an old boys club is par for the course. 
Some slimy people running this league. 

Not surprised in the least. This is a classic case of, "we're going to publicly shame you and ban you until this pretty much blows over and we can claim you are all rehabilitated and sorry and humbled and all that crap, and then we'll let you back into the club." Oh and you are going to have to make a statement that acknowledges you were wrong, how sorry you are, but how this will be the last time you will speak about it. And the media will play along the whole way through.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

He’s putting on a good show to save face working with Sheldon Kennedy’s org (he is a survivor of sexual abuse by ex-coach Graham James), but yeah I don’t trust him.

Kennedy’s org:

https://www.respectgroupinc.com

What Bowman should be doing is publicly begging Kyle Beach for forgiveness and at the same time, exposing everyone who was involved or aware (ahem Toews/Kane).

Stan’s daddy’s legacy is the only thing saving his ass, and nepotism in an old boys club is par for the course. 
Some slimy people running this league. 

I mean, that's a good start, but it'll take more than just a little. I always leave room for forgiveness and redemption, but don't want to be naive in believing false fronts.

• Cheers 1

I'm still very, very confused by what went down with the Kyle Beach thing. Wasn't the video coach a pretty little dude and Kyle is a jacked pro hockey player? From what I understand he wasn't drugged or anything, so how would it even be possible for him to "rape" him? Shouldn't Kyle have been able to instantly KO the guy if he tried anything?

1 hour ago, madrigal77 said:

I'm still very, very confused by what went down with the Kyle Beach thing. Wasn't the video coach a pretty little dude and Kyle is a jacked pro hockey player? From what I understand he wasn't drugged or anything, so how would it even be possible for him to "rape" him? Shouldn't Kyle have been able to instantly KO the guy if he tried anything?

Please research power dynamics before suggesting stuff like this.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Please research power dynamics before suggesting stuff like this.  

Power dynamics!?!? I don't care who you are. I'm not letting another dude nail me without fighting with everything I've got. That's why the whole thing makes no sense to me. Why did he allow it? He could have very easily KO'd the little dude.

That's probably why the Blackhawks didn't take it very seriously, because the whole thing makes no sense. The ONLY thing that makes sense is that it was consensual.

Edited by madrigal77

2 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Power dynamics!?!? I don't care who you are. I'm not letting another dude nail me without fighting with everything I've got. That's why the whole thing makes no sense to me. Why did he allow it? He could have very easily KO'd the little dude.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, madrigal77 said:

That's probably why the Blackhawks didn't take it very seriously, because the whole thing makes no sense. The ONLY thing that makes sense is that it was consensual.

You know, in another thread I thought you might be starting to make some valid points to your argument. I don’t agree with you there, but had respect for your perspective.

Now you come here and basically illustrate that your arguments not only lack empathy, but the maturity and understanding of someone who has any true compassion for other human beings.

There are so many reasons why sexual abuse occurs, but your privilege indicates you really are a very simple, basic person with very little articulation of depth to provide anything substantial. You could present a perspective that provoked thought, but you’re obviously lacking the capabilities and faculties to do so.

Instead it seems you’re just here to provoke others because of your own insecurities. It shows.

I don’t say this much, but I feel sorry for you. Hope you can mature someday into something beyond the cliche you currently inhabit.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You know, in another thread I thought let you starting to make some valid points to your argument. I don’t agree with you there, but had respect for your perspective.

Now you come here and basically illustrate that your arguments not only lack empathy, but the maturity and underrating of someone who has any compassion for other human beings.

There are so many reasons why sexual abuse occurs, but your privilege indicates you really are as very simple, basic person with very little articulation of depth to provide anything substantial. You could present a perspective that provoked thought, but you’re obviously lacking the capabilities and faculties to do so.

Instead it seems you’re just here to provoke others because of your own insecurities. It shows.

I don’t say this much, but I feel sorry for you. Hope you can mature someday into something beyond the cliche you currently inhabit.

Well I think I have a valid point. Like how does a 5.4" little dude RAPE a 6.3" ripped pro athlete. It's not possible unless he was drugged, but the news says he wasn't. It literally makes no sense.

Or are you saying you would let another dude rape you that you could very very easily physically over power as if he's a 5 year old boy. That's how much stronger you are than him?

Edited by madrigal77

8 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Well I think I have a valid point. Like how does a 5.4" little dude RAPE a 6.3" ripped pro athlete. It's not possible unless he was drugged, but the news says he wasn't. It literally makes no sense.

Or are you saying you would let another dude rape you that you could very very easily physically over power as if he's a 5 year old boy. That's how much stronger you are than him?

Educate yourself. Here’s a few links to give you a head start:

https://www.webmd.com/sex/what-is-sexual-grooming

https://www.survivorsuk.org/resource_articles/grooming/#:~:text=Grooming can happen when there,adults can also be groomed.

https://www.rainn.org/articles/sexual-assault-men-and-boys

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, madrigal77 said:

You're pathetic.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, RWJC said:

Those articles mention children, which are of course impressionable and easily manipulated, or gay men being tricked into prostitution.

We're talking about a straight 6.3" pro athlete being apparently raped by essentially a midget. It's not possible unless he was drugged or so drunk he was passing out. There's no amount of "grooming"  or "power dynamics" that can be done that will have a straight guy allow another dude to go to town on him. I don't care if the perpetrator is the president of the United States. It's not going to happen.

So I can see why Blackhawks management were like WTF whatever there Kyle we'll look into it after the playoffs because this isn't adding up.

Edited by madrigal77

5 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Those articles mention children, which are of course impressionable and easily manipulated, or gay men being tricked into prostitution.

We're talking about a straight 6.3" pro athlete being apparently raped by essentially a midget. It's not possible unless he was drugged or so drunk he was passing out. There's no amount of "grooming"  or "power dynamics" that can be done that will have a straight guy allow another dude to go to town on him. I don't care if the perpetrator is the president of the United States. It's not going to happen.

So I can see why Blackhawks management were like WTF whatever there Kyle we'll look into it after the playoffs because this isn't adding up.

It's precisely attitudes like this that make survivors like Beach afraid to share their story publicly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

This take is so ignorant and fucked up. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/18/2023 at 12:37 PM, madrigal77 said:

Ideas like this fuel the myth that sexual assaults can't happen to men, which they absolutely do. In fact, mentalities like yours make it HARDER for male sexual abuse victims to seek help.

Please DO NOT perpetuate false ideas of 'masculinity'. Brendan Fraser and Terry Crews were both CONFIRMED victims of sexual assault.

• Thanks 2