Ottawa Senators to receive disciplinary action regarding Dadonov situation from 2022

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-to-rule-on-senators-role-in-aborted-evgenii-dadonov-trade/

https://senschirp.ca/news/senators-await-dadonov-ruling/

I've seen it from a few sources but can't find anything on the forum, so I figured I'd start the thread.

There is speculation that Ottawa will receive some sort of penalty or punishment for the Evegnii Dadonov situation from last year.

Essentially, Dadonov was traded from Ottawa to Vegas, and then sometime later, VGK attempted to trade Dadonov to Anaheim. The trade was basically complete; Dadonov had a no-trade list, but VGK was told Dadonov did not submit it in time, so it was void.

Turns out Dadonov HAD submitted it on time, and Anaheim was on his list... 

Fast forward one year to today, and it seems like Ottawa is on the verge of being hit with something from the league for the situation. We'll also hopefully get the full story around what happened.

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-to-rule-on-senators-role-in-aborted-evgenii-dadonov-trade/

https://senschirp.ca/news/senators-await-dadonov-ruling/

I've seen it from a few sources but can't find anything on the forum, so I figured I'd start the thread.

There is speculation that Ottawa will receive some sort of penalty or punishment for the Evegnii Dadonov situation from last year.

Essentially, Dadonov was traded from Ottawa to Vegas, and then sometime later, VGK attempted to trade Dadonov to Anaheim. The trade was basically complete; Dadonov had a no-trade list, but VGK was told Dadonov did not submit it in time, so it was void.

Turns out Dadonov HAD submitted it on time, and Anaheim was on his list... 

Fast forward one year to today, and it seems like Ottawa is on the verge of being hit with something from the league for the situation. We'll also hopefully get the full story around the situation.

What does this have to do with Ottawa?
It was Vegas who tried to move him to Anaheim. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

It sounds like Ottawa did not disclose the fact that Dadanov had a no-trade list when they traded him to Vegas. If they did, and Vegas just didn't do their due diligence, then Ottawa should be off the hook.

15 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

Basically what Strawbone said.

From what I've read, it seems like Ottawa told VGK the list was not submitted on time, so VGK thought he had no trade protection when they acquired him.

Kinda seems like Ottawa is being punished for misleading VGK, which ultimately caused issues for Dadonov et al. 

Hopefully, we'll see all this clarified when the NHL makes their statement.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

It sounds like Ottawa did not disclose the fact that Dadanov had a no-trade list when they traded him to Vegas. If they did, and Vegas just didn't do their due diligence, then Ottawa should be off the hook.

I'm not up to speed on all the minutia of NHL rules.
You're trading for a player and not bothering to even inquire about his contract status and basic framework though?
That's a bag of rocks level dumb. 

This smells like the same old grossly biased politics coming out of Bettmans hind end. Because he's cheating on Arizona (shhhh) and Vegas is his real darling. 

Edited by HIWATT

4 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

You're trading for a player and not bothering to even inquire about his contract status and basic framework though?

This smells like the same old grossly biased politics coming out of Bettmans hind end. Because he's cheating on Arizona (shhhh) and Vegas is his real darling. 

I don't know all the details of NHL trade rules either. I would think it's a requirement to provide ALL the contract details to the team you're trading to, so that they can review. In this case, the only reason it would make sense for Ottawa to be in trouble is if they did not provide the no-trade details, even though they were obligated to. I don't think the onus would be on Vegas to ask Ottawa if they forgot to include any contract details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

What part of this are you not grasping bro?

They did ask and were lied to...

I hear hooked on phonics is on sale this month.....

21 minutes ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

What part of this are you not grasping bro?

They did ask and were lied to...

I hear hooked on phonics is on sale this month.....

The Golden Knights, who had acquired Dadonov from the Senators during the previous summer, were under the impression the Russian forward had not submitted his list in time to Ottawa of teams he did not want to be traded to

WHEN did that "impression" occur? 

This is literally one of the first things any team would look at when acquiring a player. 

If the deal was in place and then made, and Ottawa was still waiting on Dadanov to make up his mind then that's certianly shady - but it's not lying.

You can't lie about something you have no knowledge of.

They didn't realize he had a valid no trade clause until way after he arrived in Vegas? There is something called due dilligence .. and it feels like neither of these teams did any of it lol 

.... WOW.... this hooked on phonics shit really works! 

Edited by HIWATT
  • Haha 1

Fascinating.

So team A trades player with a modified NTC.  Team B acquiring him accepts that.  Team B then tries to trade said player and fails because (?) so team A is punished because Team B didn't necessarily do their due dilligence even though any and ALL paperwork would be submitted to the league and team B upon acquiring player from team A.

This seems suspect as hell and absolutely retroactive.  The Knights would 100% have al of this paperwork and have full contact with Dadonov's agent at all times and full knowledge of this modified NTC.  Punitive action against Ottawa seems entirely retroactive and just kind of reinforces the optics of rumours of the league treating other teams better than some.

• Vintage 2

6 hours ago, HIWATT said:

The Golden Knights, who had acquired Dadonov from the Senators during the previous summer, were under the impression the Russian forward had not submitted his list in time to Ottawa of teams he did not want to be traded to

WHEN did that "impression" occur? 

This is literally one of the first things any team would look at when acquiring a player. 

If the deal was in place and then made, and Ottawa was still waiting on Dadanov to make up his mind then that's certianly shady - but it's not lying.

You can't lie about something you have no knowledge of.

They didn't realize he had a valid no trade clause until way after he arrived in Vegas? There is something called due dilligence .. and it feels like neither of these teams did any of it lol 

.... WOW.... this hooked on phonics shit really works! 

Im not so sure you did it right. The GK asked hey does he have a no trade and were told "no he didnt submit it in time" BEFORE the trade occurred.. They definitely asked the right questions but when you receive lies as answers theres only so much you can go off when there is supposed to be a rapport of trust between GM's...

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Fascinating.

So team A trades player with a modified NTC.  Team B acquiring him accepts that.  Team B then tries to trade said player and fails because (?) so team A is punished because Team B didn't necessarily do their due dilligence even though any and ALL paperwork would be submitted to the league and team B upon acquiring player from team A.

This seems suspect as hell and absolutely retroactive.  The Knights would 100% have al of this paperwork and have full contact with Dadonov's agent at all times and full knowledge of this modified NTC.  Punitive action against Ottawa seems entirely retroactive and just kind of reinforces the optics of rumours of the league treating other teams better than some.

Ottawa told him he did not submit his list on time, he did. This is on Ottawa not Vegas. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

When you're told that he did not submit his list on time that is the other teams fault. This isn't that difficult to grasp. 

So you're willing to buy a car without checking if the engine has motor oil.  Rawesome.

Due diligence - it's really not that hard a concept.

Yeah Yikes, seems like a heavy punishment...

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17392

I was hoping for a bit more context on how they got to this. Ottawa must have been extremely explicit about the trade protection being voided, or how else can this fall so hard on them. As many here have pointed out.

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And Vegas was too incompetent to double-check for themselves?  I don't buy that reasoning.

What was for sale and sold by Ottawa was misrepresented. That's on them. They sold the player stating due diligence was done and it was a lie. Not cool.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1