WHL announces mandatory neck guard protection

Hoping to see this occur in other leagues such as the AHL and NHL.

Don't grandfather it in like visors were, make it mandatory right off the hop. Players will adjust. 

This is something the NHL and NHLPA should be able to agree on, it's a player safety bit. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

With the stuff like visors - and before that, helmets - being grandfathered in, a lot of it was due to "visibility" while on the ice (but was really more about vanity).

When you have a situation where it's probable that you could bleed out on the ice while some other skater's leg tries to behead you (purposely or not), I think adoption by players would be much more voluntary, even if it results in players feeling "uncomfortable" about having the extra gear "in the way" or "blocking heat transfer".  I mean, they just need to be reminded by the clip of a player bleeding out from a neck cut to recognize that their time in the game (and on this earth) could end on the next play.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Although I do think it’s a great move only 2 professional players (world wide) that I could find have died from skates to the neck. Ironically more pros have died from drowning considering ice is a solid.

I'm too lazy to bother looking into it, but if it's only been two we're lucky it hasn't been more. I know there have been other closes calls. 

Two is still too many though, should be an easy adjustment for players imo. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

It's such an easy form of PPE, good to see this. 

Agreed, I hope to see more of this going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

With the stuff like visors - and before that, helmets - being grandfathered in, a lot of it was due to "visibility" while on the ice (but was really more about vanity).

When you have a situation where it's probable that you could bleed out on the ice while some other skater's leg tries to behead you (purposely or not), I think adoption by players would be much more voluntary, even if it results in players feeling "uncomfortable" about having the extra gear "in the way" or "blocking heat transfer".  I mean, they just need to be reminded by the clip of a player bleeding out from a neck cut to recognize that their time in the game (and on this earth) could end on the next play.

We just had someone die because of a horrific accident, but accidents do happen. Nobody should have to die for change regarding protective gear to be implemented, but someone just did and it was a tragic and unnecessary occurrence. 

You're right though, the parallel between visors and so on to neck guards isn't as direct. 

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This will be standard across all leagues soon enough. Insurance companies will make sure of that. It's a good thing. 

Wouldn't surprise me if you were right regarding insurance. It makes sense for parents wanting youth hockey players protected too, hope more minor leagues follow suit sooner than later. 

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm too lazy to bother looking into it, but if it's only been two we're lucky it hasn't been more. I know there have been other closes calls. 

Two is still too many though, should be an easy adjustment for players imo. 

Agreed, I hope to see more of this going forward.

IF it's preventable by a non intrusive piece of equipment then yah, it needs to be mandatory, and I too am surprised there hasn't been more, the stats I looked at go back to the late 1800s. if I had to guess not knowing anything I'd go with over 10.

Interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_players_who_died_during_their_playing_careers

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I too am surprised there hasn't been more

Particularly when you have guys trying to perform on-ice amputations mid-game.  :classic_rolleyes:

The league almost didn't even want to touch this one, if not for the protestations of our GM.

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hoping to see this occur in other leagues such as the AHL and NHL.

Don't grandfather it in like visors were, make it mandatory right off the hop. Players will adjust. 

This is something the NHL and NHLPA should be able to agree on, it's a player safety bit. 

All it takes is one guy

image.png.e390ba24a332bda5ecf030814b184157.png

16 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Particularly when you have guys trying to perform on-ice amputations mid-game.  :classic_rolleyes:

The league almost didn't even want to touch this one, if not for the protestations of our GM.

He only got 8 games for that, I would have gave him a lot more.

• Cheers 1