2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

• -AJ- pinned this topic

Posted this in the training camp thread, but I think it's relevant here too:

The battle for the bottom defense roles is an interesting one. An interesting aspect of it is if the Canucks will carry 8 defensemen or not. Doing so may involve having a fairly young guy scratched. Here's my gut as to what'll happen:

Vancouver:

3LD: Wolanin - His waiver eligibility and overall skill level likely wins him this spot IMO

3RD: Myers - I highly doubt there's a chance he could lose this role

4LD: Irwin - Would love to have the option to opt for skill or physicallity, depending on what we need each nice. He and Wolanin could switch off easily to adapt for our team's need.

4RD: This is the trickiest one. The most likely bet is probably Jett Woo, because he's now eligible for waivers. The catch is then we have him stuck in Vancouver, almost never playing games unless we have injuries, so I'm not sure that's really a great option.

Abbotsford:

1LD: Hirose - Probably is NHL ready, but because of his waiver status, it's easier just to send him down for big Abbotsford minutes and call up if we need another LD in the case of injuries

1RD: Cole McWard - Seems better than other options like Juulsen who were already in Abby.

2LD: Rathbone - Sad to see, but I think he's fallen quite a bit down the depth chart. This is assuming he's not claimed on waivers.

2RD: Juulsen - There have been rumblings of him getting NHL time, but I can't see how he's ahead of Myers or McWard and probably not even Woo. 

3LD: Brisebois - Weird to see a guy with 27 games of NHL experience this far down, but the race on LD in Abbotsford is fairly tight and I don't think it would be crazy to see all three of these guys switch up their roles, depending on how they're playing.

3RD: Johansson - Hasn't been super impressive so far in camp. He will rely on Woo staying in Vancouver to get decent minutes in Abby, otherwise, may end up being a scratch in Abbotsford. Like the Abbotsford LD though, the RD is also quite tight and McWard, Juulsen, and Johanssen could all swap around if one surprises or another disappoints.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he earns it through his play I'm totally fine with that. Johansson and Woo did no favors to themselves in their performances in Calgary

Juulsson was horrid too. We need one of Juulsson, McWard, or Woo to force themselves into our lineup. The basically need to push out Myers. And right now they’re not doing that. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Juulsson was horrid too. We need one of Juulsson, McWard, or Woo to force themselves into our lineup. The basically need to push out Myers. And right now they’re not doing that. 

Given that the game was basically an NHL team vs an AHL team the outcome was to be a bit expected. One thing that I think the coaches were focused on was those players that tried to stick to the things they were being taught in practice and also the effort level of each player when the game was out of reach. That says a lot about what type of player you actually have just as much as his skill level.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm totally fine with that

Me too! Just saying for a guy with a total of FIVE nhl games under his belt playing top pair with Huggy is crazy! And if so, talk about a huge confidence booster for McWard.  I'd love that!

Edited by Canuckle
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 27 Percent said:

I didn't even realize Bains was sent down. Thought he played well enough to earn a game or 2.

Salary Cap and ELC determined his destination not so much his play. They do not risk losing him whereas they might lose one that isn't on an ELC.

Aman may also be sent down now that Lafferty is on the team as he does not need to clear waivers

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 5:09 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

So where is Cole McWard?? Cap Friendly says he is in Abby yet I did not see or hear of any movement by the club on this. Is he still with Vancouver or did I or Cap Friendly make an error?

Much of the "movement" over the past few days is just paper transactions designed to maximize cap flexibility by getting the largest possible LTIR salary and bonus pools. Once the pools are locked in the Canucks will likely make one or more additional moves. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Analyst82 said:

How competitive are we going to be this year? On paper, this team looks damn good. 

I want more of that playoff atmosphere like last year! 

We lost Justin Dowling and Spencer Martin.  I know that there's lots of other guys that played some games like Brady Keeper, Vincent Arseneault, etc, etc but Dowling and Martin are the two notables that will have the biggest impact.  

We had one of the youngest teams in the AHL last year, for sure the youngest in our division, so I think that we will be a playoff team once again as long as our goaltending holds up with Silovs and Tolopilo/Sawchuk. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Much of the "movement" over the past few days is just paper transactions designed to maximize cap flexibility by getting the largest possible LTIR salary and bonus pools. Once the pools are locked in the Canucks will likely make one or more additional moves. 

I am aware of that but he is likely going to be back on the roster shortly after the season officially starts I think some of the moves in the last day or so were to maximize LTIR Cap space.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

We lost Justin Dowling and Spencer Martin.  I know that there's lots of other guys that played some games like Brady Keeper, Vincent Arseneault, etc, etc but Dowling and Martin are the two notables that will have the biggest impact.  

We had one of the youngest teams in the AHL last year, for sure the youngest in our division, so I think that we will be a playoff team once again as long as our goaltending holds up with Silovs and Tolopilo/Sawchuk. 

Im really hoping silovs will make great progress. 

• Upvote 1