Public transit/TransLink thread

8 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

On Wednesday, B.C. Minister of Labour Harry Bains appointed Vince Ready as a special mediator to assist in settling terms of a new collective agreement.

and

"Ready is a highly regarded mediator in the labour relations community, with a long and distinguished record of settling disputes," said Bains in a statement.

No kidding.  For nearly as long as I can remember, whenever there's a high profile labour dispute, they always call in Vince Ready.  The man is clearly good at what he does.  Hopefully he gets this settled without too much delay.

Yeah, they seem to update the article every so often, which is why I normally like to quote it in its entirety when I post (so that if there are any changes, it becomes a bit more apparent what was changed).

I would agree with you that this is a welcome development.  Many colleagues of mine drove in today instead of taking the bus, because while they knew there was bus service this morning, they were worried that there would be no bus service at the end of the working day.  Traffic was la merde this morning as a consequence.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

But wait, there's more! :picard:

CUPE 4500 threatens full Metro Van transit shutdown if deal not reached

Breaking-News-Image-v2-e1574095563266.jp

Posted January 24, 2024 12:34 pm.

The union representing transit supervisors says it welcomes the appointment of a special mediator. However, CUPE 4500 is warning that if Vince Ready’s recommendations don’t lead to a tentative deal by Feb. 3 at 12:01 a.m., “members will be withdrawing services for 72-hours.”

If the Labour Board permits, CUPE 4500 says its strike escalation will “effectively shut down all buses, the SeaBus, and all SkyTrain lines for three days” as of that deadline.

On Monday at 3 a.m., 180 unionized supervisors walked off the job after a weekend of negotiations with Coast Mountain Bus didn’t end in an agreement. The strike parked buses and docked SeaBuses across Metro Vancouver for two days.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/24/metro-van-transit-strike-escalation-warning/

What a surprise. A small group of assholes (180 of them?) has decided to hold hundreds of thousands of working people hostage so that the assholes can get substantially higher raises than any of their co-workers accepted, feeling that they should be paid the same as those who actually manage (hire, fire, train, etc) other workers. These jerks remind me a lot of the truckers convoy.

15 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

What a surprise. A small group of assholes (180 of them?) has decided to hold hundreds of thousands of working people hostage so that the assholes can get substantially higher raises than any of their co-workers accepted, feeling that they should be paid the same as those who actually manage (hire, fire, train, etc) other workers. These jerks remind me a lot of the truckers convoy.

I like how the NDP pretends there's a negotiation going on. This is for show, the union pals will get everything they want.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I like how the NDP pretends there's a negotiation going on. This is for show, the union pals will get everything they want.

I don't know about that. They are being so blatantly greedy that giving them whatever they want would be politically problematic for even an NDP government. 

But yes, I imagine that is what the union leadership is thinking. "Our NDP buddies will back us up and give us whatever we want, that's why we elected them."

This situation reminds me of a time about half a century ago when the pulp and paper workers decided to get greedy and tried to squeeze more than the woodworkers had already settled for (the unions had historically accepted the same increases), went on strike and managed to slash the entire province's GDP by a full percentage point that year. 

The results of that greedy union stupidity may have been a major factor in ending the NDP's first reign of error (1972-1975) in BC.

I go to Trail, Nelson or Cranbrook and watch Transit drive by with buses 15 - 20% full. Maybe a little busier in Nelson. Cranbrook the worst. Ex-mayor of Creston said it would be cheaper to send taxis to transport bus users for the number using the service. I have often wondered if it would be cheaper to give transit riders a keyfob to indicate need and dispatch accordingly. 

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I like how the BC NDP pretends this is a real negotiation. 

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Shouldn't that mean the employer has to pay the employee whatever the heck they ask for, as they are essential?--asking on behalf of dyslexics everywhere.

Not really, it's more likely that the employer can choose to impose terms on the employees that aren't favourable to them without the employees having recourse in the form of striking as an available mode of job action.

• ThereItIs 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:40 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not really, it's more likely that the employer can choose to impose terms on the employees that aren't favourable to them without the employees having recourse in the form of striking as an available mode of job action.

That's not very likely. Certainly not with an NDP government in power. While the union would lose the right to strike, the employer would lose the right to lock them out, and the 2 sides would most likely be subject to binding arbitration.

If I were the arbitrator, after a reasonable length of time negotiating, if the sides were still being stubborn/greedy, I would tell them that it's time to get serious; each side give me your best offer and I will choose the one that seems the most reasonable. Amazing how reasonable people can become when they really need to be.

I was actually a participant in an essential service labour dispute many decades ago when my summer job in university was a meter reader for BC Hydro, which at that time supplied the province with both electricity and natural gas, obviously both essential. 

The union could not disrupt the supply of utilities so instead they disrupted the company's cashflow, sending only those of us in the meter reading, collections, billing departments etc on strike. I loved it. Got strike pay for doing almost nothing; it was a great summer.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What are BC Ferries’ priorities?

The BC Ferries Tsawwassen Terminal
The BC Ferries Tsawwassen Terminal on Wednesday, March 27, 2024. (CityNews Image)

Posted March 28, 2024 10:57 am.

After BC Ferries was plagued by challenges in 2023, the company turned to the public to align its priorities with those of its customers.

Nearly 10,000 people took part in a survey, with respondents being asked to list the top areas they’d like to see BC Ferries improve in.

Spokesperson Jeff Groot says 80 per cent of respondents listed their top priority as either reliability, affordability or better integration with public transit.

“What we’re looking at is, we’re hearing from people, it’s going to help guide us, not only in the short-term but also as we plan longer-term. So, we anticipate to have that long-term vision in place by early 2025. But it’s not going to stop the work that we have to do right now,” he told CityNews.

BC Ferries says it will “focus its policy work on five key areas to help inform the final vision,” based on the results of the survey. They include: “integration of ferry services into the wider transportation network; the role of coastal ferries in the movement of goods; approaches to pricing and demand management; and, approaches to reducing GHG emissions.”

“Make sure that we’re continuing to meet people’s needs both right now and … how we’re going to move that into the future,” Groot said, adding this is a multifaceted approach.

“What we hear from people is they’re looking for more reliability, they’re looking for affordability. We’re already making steps and making decisions to help do that.”

Hundreds of hires, new vessels

Groot points to some actions BC Ferries has already taken, such as undertaking “the biggest hiring process” in the company’s history over the past year. With this, he says BC Ferries has added over 1,200 people to the company.

BC Ferries says the hiring has helped bring down cancellations due to crew shortages by 37 per cent compared to the same time period a year prior.

New vessels are also on the way, the company says, with four on track for 2027, and another seven expected to start service in 2029.

In total, BC Ferries says 9,400 people responded to the survey. Additionally, 561 employees provided input.

The results also factored in the findings of 36 meetings and workshops, BC Ferries adds.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/03/28/bc-ferries-priorities-survey/

How about: let private aquatic cargo transport companies deal with transporting the 18-wheelers, and save our ships for the travelling public?  🤔

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this was posted in any of the other threads, but here goes:

Marine workers, unions want new ferries built in B.C.

B.C. Ferries says contract will go to bidder that meets requirements at best price

courtney-dickson.JPG
Courtney Dickson · CBC News · Posted: Apr 19, 2024 4:00 AM PDT | Last Updated: April 19
A ferry on the water among islands
B.C. Ferries says it plans to have seven new hybrid vessels built similar to the one shown in this rendering. (B.C. Ferries)

Labour unions and marine workers in British Columbia are calling on B.C. Ferries to build its new hybrid vessels locally, bringing more jobs to the coast.

B.C. Ferries says it plans to have seven new vessels built, the first of which could be ready for operation by 2029. The company says each ship would have capacity for 2,100 passengers — significantly more than current capacities of up to 1,500 on ferries that will soon be retired. 

The company issued a request for expressions of interest (RFEOI) last fall.

Qualified local, national and international shipyards will be able to take part in the request for proposal process, which is expected to happen this summer. According to the RFEOI, the contract is expected to be awarded by December.

Build Ferries B.C., a group of unions and marine workers, wants local bids to be prioritized. 

"Without strong requirements for Canadian content, a foreign shipyard will certainly win the competition," Build Ferries B.C.'s website reads.

"We must act now before this ship sails." 

A ferry
The new vessels, similar the one shown here, would have capacity for 2,100 passengers. (B.C. Ferries)

Jeff Groot, spokesperson for B.C. Ferries, said that while the company believes in investing in local opportunities, the build has to be affordable. 

"At the end of the day, the successful shipyard — whether it's local or not — needs to be able to build high quality, safe ferries and to deliver them to us on time," Groot said in an emailed statement.

He said B.C. Ferries "simply cannot" increase fares for passengers because it costs more to build ships in B.C.

Tax revenue should be considered: union

But Phil Venoit, business manager for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 230, said cost alone should not determine the contract for this build. 

"It should be price minus the taxes that the employers and the workers would be paying back to government," he told On The Coast host Gloria Macarenko. 

"We could literally be paying more for ferries if you don't consider the taxes paid by the employers and the employees to build this."

He also points to the cost of fuel and wages, things that will inherently increase by the time the new ships are on the water, which will increase fares.

Dan McGreer, a retired architect and professor in UBC's naval and marine engineering program, believes local shipyards, in particular Seaspan, have the knowledge and ability to build the seven new, large vessels, but worries about labour capacity and says cost could be a problem for local builders.

"They're not really competitive with the yards in Europe and Asia," he said. "Those yards could probably build the ships at a lower cost, but there's certainly benefits to building the ships in B.C. — all the labour, wages stay here."

In an email to CBC, Ali Hounsell, director of communications for Seaspan, said building in B.C. would help the province's shipbuilding capacity grow, creating more jobs and economic benefits for other British Columbians. 

Local jobs

Venoit worked on the Spirit Class ferries in the early '90s and worries opportunities for young people looking to work in the trades will dwindle without the creation of shipbuilding jobs. 

"I was a teenager that graduated out of Dunsmuir High School in Colwood, just outside of Victoria, and started in the shipyards at 18 years old as an electrical apprentice," he said. 

"Why would you not want to contribute to high-paying jobs from British Columbia … instead of sending them overseas?"

B.C.'s Ministry of Transportation said in an email that "Canadian shipyards have been encouraged to apply," adding that "B.C. shipyards and their skilled employees already benefit from repair and refit work contracted by B.C. Ferries."

Groot said affordability is a key factor for B.C. Ferries, too. 

"I'd encourage every shipyard that's interested [in this contract] to consider the affordability pressures that British Columbians are facing in all areas of their lives, and then put its best foot forward with any proposal it chooses to submit."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ferries-marine-workers-union-build-locally-1.7178123

The one thing I'm surprised wasn't mentioned in the article is that aside from keeping BC money in BC and supporting our local shipbuilding industry, there's also a very practical reason why it would make sense to procure from local shipbuilding yards - because when maintenance or repair needs to be done and parts need to be sourced, having the supply chain and repair expertise local makes things so much easier.

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ferries-marine-workers-union-build-locally-1.7178123

The one thing I'm surprised wasn't mentioned in the article is that aside from keeping BC money in BC and supporting our local shipbuilding industry, there's also a very practical reason why it would make sense to procure from local shipbuilding yards - because when maintenance or repair needs to be done and parts need to be sourced, having the supply chain and repair expertise local makes things so much easier.

Ferries continue to get mileage out of claiming "going green"

"new small ships are tri fueled diesel, LNG and electric"

meanwhile no minor terminal has the electrical infrastructure to enable battery power charge ups overnight.-- and won't for about a decade.

LNG has to be delivered by truck, and is only available/somewhat feasible in the major terminals.

Ships built here, means good paying jobs for the construction folk, and the spin off money, for supplies,  and lunch trucks etc.--  means more people could afford to go on the ferries

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'd love to see them built here, but it's hard to see how SeaSpan would have the capacity on BC Ferries' timeline. Their orderbook is pretty full at the moment, but if they're lobbying for it, they must think they'll be able to do it. I hope it works!

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I'd love to see them built here, but it's hard to see how SeaSpan would have the capacity on BC Ferries' timeline. Their orderbook is pretty full at the moment, but if they're lobbying for it, they must thing they'll be able to do it. I hope it works!

Expansion, might be of help.

likely too late, but there was a time, with proper planning that shipyards around the country would be busy enough to employ a lot of people.

When the Feds started talking about new Coast Guard and new Navy ships, and the B.C. Ferry corp. was thinking about new 'super C class'--plans could have been laid out to keep the shipyards busy for decades.

Seaspan/Washington Marine group is doing ok building the re-supply ships for the navy, and the coast guard ships, but if they knew they had an honest shot at the Ferry builds, they could have afforded an expansion plan.

Decades of work, decades of spin off money.

ohh well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

As far as rapid transit here is some meaningless trivia.  Back in 83-84 I dated a lady from Vancouver (who I met in a Pub in Maple Bay).  The 1st time I went to Langley where she lived with her parents....she said on the way that "I didn't tell you my parents had money.

Turns out his construction company build the 1st sky train link....although back then it was called the ALRT.  They also helped bid Tumbler Ridge.  We got to her place and there was a huge RV....some fancy cars and a helicopter in the back yard. 

We walked in and her Dad and brother were in the hot tub in he backyard.  He Dad says to be....don't just sit there...get changed and come have a beer .  I thought I had died and gone to heaven lol.

Sadly it didn't work out.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1