Bargain huntin [proposal]

I don't think we need to shell out to upgrade our D. Realistically we just need a legit #5/6 D that can log some responsible minutes and gives us either a lil secondary scoring or grit preferably both.  We just got a get out of jail free card with the Beauvillier trade need to be careful not to do anything with the cap that ties our hands come time to pay Pete, Hronek, De Smith. Some options I can think of. Feel free to add yours. 

John Kovacevic is a 26yearold 6'4 physical RHD MTL grabbed off waivers last year. He's got a booming shot and 3g but he's more of a defensive D who's forte is clearing the netfront. While being used primarily as a defensive D  he's managed to remain above water +2 on cough MTL.

Henri Jokiharju 24 RHD buried on Buffalo as their 6th D making 2.5m RFA. On the canucks among D he would be 4th in points with 8. He's in a 3 way tie for the best on ice goal differential of Buffalo's D with Dahlin and Erik Johnson.  He's a decent young depth D with great skating and puck moving acumen. 

Ethan Bear won't cost anything other than a cap hit which I doubt will be very high. I don't think he is the answer but could be good depth and I'd like to see Bear have another opportunity in the NHL. 

Jeremy Lauzon if Nashville drops out of the wildcard race I could see Lauzon become available they have some big dead cap years ahead may be a good time for them to retool. He will be a little more costly than the others but if Schenn only garnered a 3rd I can't see Lauzon breaking the bank. 

Vincent Desharnais hulking rhd no offensive ability whatsoever but he can handle some PK and defensive deployment to give our top 4 a breather and better quality mins. 

Alex Edler get this man a 1 game contract so he can retire a Canuck.  

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

With Savard out long-term Kovacevic is Montreals most experienced right shot D (with 103 games)  he's big, cheap, signed through next season , and reliable.  They have some talented right shot d coming but none are ready. I can't see any reason why Montreal would move him short of a ridiculous overpayment 

If we can't find a trade for a legit top 4 Dman, I agree that Lauzon and Bear would be good moves this season, and find our top 4 guy in the off season.

They add depth to our blueline and can both step up to 2nd pairing minutes if required:

Hughes Hronek

Cole Myers

Soucy Lauzon

Friedman Bear

Good depth for the playoffs

13 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I don't think we need to shell out to upgrade our D. Realistically we just need a legit #5/6 D that can log some responsible minutes and gives us either a lil secondary scoring or grit preferably both.  We just got a get out of jail free card with the Beauvillier trade need to be careful not to do anything with the cap that ties our hands come time to pay Pete, Hronek, De Smith. Some options I can think of. Feel free to add yours. 

John Kovacevic is a 26yearold 6'4 physical RHD MTL grabbed off waivers last year. He's got a booming shot and 3g but he's more of a defensive D who's forte is clearing the netfront. While being used primarily as a defensive D  he's managed to remain above water +2 on cough MTL.

Henri Jokiharju 24 RHD buried on Buffalo as their 6th D making 2.5m RFA. On the canucks among D he would be 4th in points with 8. He's in a 3 way tie for the best on ice goal differential of Buffalo's D with Dahlin and Erik Johnson.  He's a decent young depth D with great skating and puck moving acumen. 

Ethan Bear won't cost anything other than a cap hit which I doubt will be very high. I don't think he is the answer but could be good depth and I'd like to see Bear have another opportunity in the NHL. 

Jeremy Lauzon if Nashville drops out of the wildcard race I could see Lauzon become available they have some big dead cap years ahead may be a good time for them to retool. He will be a little more costly than the others but if Schenn only garnered a 3rd I can't see Lauzon breaking the bank. 

Vincent Desharnais hulking rhd no offensive ability whatsoever but he can handle some PK and defensive deployment to give our top 4 a breather and better quality mins. 

Alex Edler get this man a 1 game contract so he can retire a Canuck.  

This is a good post.

Agree with you on Edler and Bear.  

Like your Lauzon idea.

I know my upcoming suggestion wouldn't exactly qualify as bargain hunting, but what about Will Borgen from Seattle?  He's 26 and has two years left on his contract. He only has a 2.5 million or so cap hit.  I'm wondering if a guy like that could be had if Seattle is out of it come playoff deadline.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

With Savard out long-term Kovacevic is Montreals most experienced right shot D (with 103 games)  he's big, cheap, signed through next season , and reliable.  They have some talented right shot d coming but none are ready. I can't see any reason why Montreal would move him short of a ridiculous overpayment 

Perfect so their best RHD is a guy they claimed off waivers last year. I'd say they have bigger fish to poutine. If it helps them get a pick and a better pick in the draft I don't see a problem selling a free asset for a return would be bon en tabarnak no? 

We could flip them back Juulsson and he could be their most experienced rhd

Edited by Hammertime

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Perfect so their best RHD is a guy they claimed off waivers last year. I'd say they have bigger fish to poutine. If it helps them get a pick and a better pick in the draft I don't see a problem selling a free asset for a return would be bon en tabarnak no? 

We could flip them back Juulsson and he could be their most experienced rhd

I didnt say best, that would be Savard, but with Savard out with an injury he's the most experienced right shot D on the roster ATM.   They will keep him for all the reasons that make you  you want him for the Canucks.

He's a big (6'5") young, defensively responsible right shot D on a league minimum contract for another season. They may look to move him at some point when a couple of their order young right shot D are ready, but not right now. 

Oh, and he scored again tonight 

Edited by qwijjibo

Just now, qwijjibo said:

I didnt say best, that would be Savard, but with Savard out with an injury he's the most experienced right shot D on the roster ATM.   They will keep him for all the reasons that make you  you want him for the Canucks.

He's a big (6'5") young, defensively responsible right shot D on a league minimum contract for another season. They may look to move him at some point when a couple of their order young right shot D are ready, but not right now. 

Oh, and he scored again tonight 

We got Zadorov get w the program we don't need your plug. 😂

• Cheers 1