[proposal] Yakov Trenin, cap permitting, is the guy that we should bring in as our "final piece" for this season

I'm not a capologist and so my Cap strategy and long term cap ramifications for this season might be a bit off, but here is how I see things:

1. Canucks have a little over $2,000,000 in cap space.

2. Trenin will be a UFA at season's end and carries a $1,700,000 cap hit.

As the last 10 games have shown, the Canucks still have some depth issues.  Sure, they look like a million bucks when they are close to full health but look quite ordinary when faced with key injuries.  With the Zadorov trade, the Canucks have now likely addressed their defensive depth issues.  What they need now, in my opinion, is another depth piece at Center.  The Canucks have struggled with Suter out and that's where a guy like Trenin will come in handy for us.  In a hypothetical scenario where all three of Trenin, Bluegar, and Suter were healthy, you could move Suter to the wing.  Ditto for Lafferty.  

So my question to you, is what would it likely take to bring in Trenin?   

My next question, is as follows: If the asking price for Trenin was too high, maybe we could bring back Tyler Motte?   

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 12.14.31 AM.png

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

Just now, Bob Long said:

He certainly seems like someone that would be available at the TDL. 

Who would Trotz want back from us?

My guess is a B level prospect but I honestly have no idea.  I would gladly drive a guy like Klimovich and a draft pick to the airport but the Preds would likely want more than that.  

• ThereItIs 1

Trenin is a fine 4th liner; sort of a poor man's Trent Frederic.

I think the top 6 needs some help more than the bottom 6. Once Suter returns

the bottom 6 will improve in skill and depth.

Imo, the Canucks need a player that is fast and aggressive along the boards for the puck.

Pizza guy does not have the top 6 skills required to make JT's line a true #1.  I think a

player like Nic Roy or Barbashev would be ideal (I'm not suggesting that Vegas would

trade either of those guys).

I would think the management knows what is needed in the top 6 and may even use

the 1st + ?? to get it.  Lets see how it looks...I'll use Roy for now.

Roy  JT  Brock          

Kuze  Pete  Mik       

Or

Kuze  JT  Mik 

Roy    Pete   Brock

I can't figure out what the Flyers plan is, but if they don't make the playoffs, maybe

they will start looking at a rebuild.  I wonder if they would let go of Konecny or Laughton.

A Trenin and Fabbro package would need to include Garland  a B level prospect and a 2nd to 3rd round pick. I would do it with this proposal 

Garland, Karlsson, 2025 2nd 

For Trenin and Fabbro 

Mikheyev Pettersson Kuzmenko 

Hoglander Miiler Boeser  

Joshua Suter Lafferty 

Aman Blueger Trenin 

Digiseppe 

Hughes Hronek 

Cole Fabbro

Zedorov Myers 

Soucy Friedman/ Juulsen