The Story of Lou: How Canucks teammates describe Roberto Luongo

12 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Gillis has some choice comments for Torts. 

As a fan, in a single moment, there were two trades that made me giddy.   The first one was Mogilny.   That played out ok.    Despite having one of the best seasons a Canuck ever had, and one of the most skilled guys ... it didn't work out.   The other one was when we traded for Luongo.   One of my first thoughts was "we are going to win a cup now, finally".   For years Luongo owned the goalie highlight reel, on a pretty bad Florida team.   He was stoning the stars.    Funny, that the goalie he loved and emulated the most, Grant Furh, has a ton of the same jam.    EDM often left him out to dry too.    Luongo was winning us banners that we would never win without him.   Our D-corp wasn't very good when he first came.   Blamed for the cup final is ridiculous.    He started with a shutout.  And won the second game too.   Yes he got blown to smitherings too.    He did take too much on for sure.    The fans and media need to let their stuff go when it comes to this guy. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Blamed for the cup final is ridiculous.    He started with a shutout.  And won the second game too.   Yes he got blown to smitherings too.    He did take too much on for sure.    The fans and media need to let their stuff go when it comes to this guy

Because obviously for them, he didn't score enough goals in the games we got shut out of. :picard:

• ThereItIs 2

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

As a fan, in a single moment, there were two trades that made me giddy.   The first one was Mogilny.   That played out ok.    Despite having one of the best seasons a Canuck ever had, and one of the most skilled guys ... it didn't work out.   The other one was when we traded for Luongo.   One of my first thoughts was "we are going to win a cup now, finally".   For years Luongo owned the goalie highlight reel, on a pretty bad Florida team.   He was stoning the stars.    Funny, that the goalie he loved and emulated the most, Grant Furh, has a ton of the same jam.    EDM often left him out to dry too.    Luongo was winning us banners that we would never win without him.   Our D-corp wasn't very good when he first came.   Blamed for the cup final is ridiculous.    He started with a shutout.  And won the second game too.   Yes he got blown to smitherings too.    He did take too much on for sure.    The fans and media need to let their stuff go when it comes to this guy. 

I understand how fans can get upset with players who want out. We fans bleed for our teams and want the players to feel the same way. We forget, for many this wasn't their childhood team, its their team for sure but also a job, and they want to win more than anyone. So often when things aren't working out, they want a change, just like any one of us do in our careers.

Fan's have the right to be upset (look at NYI and Tavares! ha!) they take it as a personal affront....but at the same time, how I measure it is, did that player give us everything he had, did he want to win every night and brought it every night, and did he care. I think for most players that's usually a yes. For that reason, I always appreciate them, even if they asked to leave.

Example, Kesler, for a long time he was hated after he asked to be moved. I never hated him, Kesler gave everything to this franchise, including his health and ability to walk properly and enjoy life after hockey....to be angry at someone who gave up his health for that jersey....I don't know if there's any better form of respect to the fans, city and jersey than that...Lou is the same, he left everything on the ice for us. How many years did we make the playoffs when we had no business being there, just because of him? People forget.

I hope the fans make him start crying, and remind him of how much excitement and joy he brought us. Because he did.

Congrats Lou, your Jersey would be in the rafters if it was up to me. So would 17

Edited by billydakid