NCAA Sports

RupertKBD

The texas-osu game has a few interesting parts. If texas wins, georgia wins and fsu loses then you may see texas take the 4th.

If texas loses then it may trigger a hell of a debate between their starting qb of 2 years ewers vs arch manning (nephew of peyton and eli who was top high school qb)  This could still happen in a win as ewers might not declare for the NFL. It reminds me of alabama when they moved on from hurts to tua and then hurts went to OU.

Personally i'd take arch manning, kid looked great in his first appearance and looks like manning arm plus the mobility that neither had and ewers doesn't have that superstar quality. 

13 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

That was a game for the ages. Great win for the Huskies and Penix Jr. Would love to see Washington pummel Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

Props to Bo Nix and Oregon too. I think if these two teams played each other 10 times, each team would win 5.

The Rose Bowl committee has to be ecstatic about the prospect of a Michigan - Washington Rose Bowl.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

The texas-osu game has a few interesting parts. If texas wins, georgia wins and fsu loses then you may see texas take the 4th.

If texas loses then it may trigger a hell of a debate between their starting qb of 2 years ewers vs arch manning (nephew of peyton and eli who was top high school qb)  This could still happen in a win as ewers might not declare for the NFL. It reminds me of alabama when they moved on from hurts to tua and then hurts went to OU.

Personally i'd take arch manning, kid looked great in his first appearance and looks like manning arm plus the mobility that neither had and ewers doesn't have that superstar quality. 

I guess we'll never know what the committee would have decided, since the Seminoles hung on for a 9 point win over the Gators, but if FSU had lost that game, I think you would have had to go with the Longhorns as the #4 seed....

Yes, Ohio State and Oregon both lost to top 3 teams, but you have to pick a team that won their Conference Championship game, don't you?

As far as the Texas QB situation moving forward, I'd put my money on Manning, with Ewers likely transferring to another program.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess we'll never know what the committee would have decided, since the Seminoles hung on for a 9 point win over the Gators, but if FSU had lost that game, I think you would have had to go with the Longhorns as the #4 seed....

Yes, Ohio State and Oregon both lost to top 3 teams, but you have to pick a team that won their Conference Championship game, don't you?

As far as the Texas QB situation moving forward, I'd put my money on Manning, with Ewers likely transferring to another program.

Ah well. My wife is a longhorns fan so i've watched plenty of their games but i like the effort the guys give. 

I think the same with ewers, else manning will go to a big program like usc or alabama or lsu.

23 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Ah well. My wife is a longhorns fan so i've watched plenty of their games but i like the effort the guys give. 

I think the same with ewers, else manning will go to a big program like usc or alabama or lsu.

Lifelong Sooners fan here.....probably best your wife and I don't meet....:classic_cool:

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Ha

Actually i was meant florida as in fsu. If FSU lose and georgia win then texas could sneak in, though maybe Ohio could. We'll see.

There's no way Alabama goes in over Texas with the Longhorns beating them convincingly on the road.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Alabama for the win. Tide caught a huge break in the first half when officials missed a dropped pass, allowing Bama to march down the field for a TD just before half time.

Does Georgia still get in, or does Texas? 

Texas won their conference championship.  I have it ranked like this:

1. Michigan

2. Washington

3. FSU

4. Texas

5. Alabama

6. Georgia

7. OSU

FSU loss drops them behind OSU for me.

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Texas won their conference championship.  I have it ranked like this:

1. Michigan

2. Washington

3. FSU

4. Texas

5. Alabama

6. Georgia

7. OSU

FSU loss drops them behind OSU for me.

Agreed for the most part. Even if FSU wins, they might end up on the outside looking in. SEC always gets at least one spot in the final four. 
1. Michigan

2. Washington 

3. Texas

4. Alabama 

An unlikely loss by Michigan would guarantee a spot for FSU, providing they take care of business against Louisville. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Agreed for the most part. Even if FSU wins, they might end up on the outside looking in. SEC always gets at least one spot in the final four. 
1. Michigan

2. Washington 

3. Texas

4. Alabama 

An unlikely loss by Michigan would guarantee a spot for FSU, providing they take care of business against Louisville. 

They might but I can't justify leaving an undefeated Power 5 conference champion out, even though I'd argue Alabama is the better team.   I suspect Louisville will upset them though, rendering this irrelevant.

59 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They might but I can't justify leaving an undefeated Power 5 conference champion out, even though I'd argue Alabama is the better team.   I suspect Louisville will upset them though, rendering this irrelevant.

FSU down to their 3rd string QB for this one. Oof

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

1. Michigan

2. Washington 

3. Texas

4. Alabama 

Only four teams make the NCAA playoffs? 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only four teams make the NCAA playoffs? 

Yep.  Hardest championship to win in North America, where one loss in the regular season can end your hopes.  Changes next year with 12 teams making it, which I'm not a fan of.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I think you're going to see two SEC now.

Michigan

Washington

Alabama

Georgia.

Mich vs georgia and wash vs alabama. 

How do you justify ignoring the head to head between Texas and Alabama?  No better way to evaluate two teams with identical records.

Edited by King Heffy
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

How do you justify ignoring the head to head between Texas and Alabama?

This isn't me, this is SEC preferential treatment.

You'll have:

Michigan: undefeated, conf champ, win over ohio state

Washington: undefeated, conf champ, wins over oregon 

Alabama: Conf champion, win over georgia and other sec

Georgia: only loss to alabama

FSU: if win (undefeated, conf champ but penalized as acc sucks)

Texas (conf champ but not undefeated, otherwise they'd get in).

4 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

This isn't me, this is SEC preferential treatment.

You'll have:

Michigan: undefeated, conf champ, win over ohio state

Washington: undefeated, conf champ, wins over oregon 

Alabama: Conf champion, win over georgia and other sec

Georgia: only loss to alabama

FSU: if win (undefeated, conf champ but penalized as acc sucks)

Texas (conf champ but not undefeated, otherwise they'd get in).

I have a little more faith they get it right.  FSU I can see missing due to the QB situation, but I don't see any scenario where Texas misses, especially to let a team who lost the  conference championship in.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I have a little more faith they get it right.  FSU I can see missing due to the QB situation, but I don't see any scenario where Texas misses, especially to let a team who lost the  conference championship in.  

It's happened before with 2 SEC (same teams) and ohio state over conf champs. SEC is where the money and power is. FSU has the biggest case to argue against it but i can't see georgia being left out. Texas will be 6th.

I'm more a Texas fan, so i'd be happy to see them make it and i get the head to head argument but there's no way I see the SEC champ missing out (alabama) and i can't see Georgia missing out based one close loss.

But then something has to give too:

IMG_3438.thumb.png.a3281a51db5851be97342a7bbe5a2d00.png

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
y