NCAA Sports

RupertKBD

16 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Agreed for the most part. Even if FSU wins, they might end up on the outside looking in. SEC always gets at least one spot in the final four. 
1. Michigan

2. Washington 

3. Texas

4. Alabama 

An unlikely loss by Michigan would guarantee a spot for FSU, providing they take care of business against Louisville. 

Got this one. . Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Michigan will face Alabama in the Rose Bowl and Washington will play Texas in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1 and the winners will meet for the national championship Jan. 8 in Houston.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/ncaa-mens-football/article/michigan-washington-texas-alabama-selected-for-college-football-playoff/

Michigan vs. Alabama, Washington vs. Texas in College Football Playoff, Florida St. left out

• 5 weeks later...

...and now Texas is gone....as a Sooner fan, I'm contractually obligated to cheer for a Longhorn loss....:towel:

Hoping for U Dub in the final, but the important thing is that neither Texas or Alabama will win.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Two absolute classic games today.  Huskies keep finding ways to win close games.

That game was way closer than it had to be. Washington's decision to run the ball, instead of taking the knee on that last drive, cost them 30 seconds, when their RB got hurt....It could have cost them the game, but luckily, they hung on....

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

That game was way closer than it had to be. Washington's decision to run the ball, instead of taking the knee on that last drive, cost them 30 seconds, when their RB got hurt....It could have cost them the game, but luckily, they hung on....

I did find it funny that Chad Kelly, of all people was calling the RB out and saying he needed to find to get a way off the field.  

Championship games always have their intrinsic interest and I'm sure Michigan fans enjoyed the game but from a neutral's point of view I thought the game, other than Michigan's first quarter, was kind of 'meh'.  Credit to Washington's defense for putting the brakes on what was shaping up to be a Michigan blow-out.  But, really, the game just wasn't all that entertaining or particularly well-played.

But congrats to Michigan.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Championship games always have their intrinsic interest and I'm sure Michigan fans enjoyed the game but from a neutral's point of view I thought the game, other than Michigan's first quarter, was kind of 'meh'.  Credit to Washington's defense for putting the brakes on what was shaping up to be a Michigan blow-out.  But, really, the game just wasn't all that entertaining or particularly well-played.

But congrats to Michigan.

Agreed. Disappointing game from Penix and the rest of the Husky offense, but sometimes you have to give credit to the opposing defense.

Made for a bit of a snooze fest. Luckily there was a pretty entertaining hockey game on as well....

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Saban retiring? wow

I always admired him. Wonder if belichick is next (they worked together for the browns). 

Didn't like him but respected his success.  Inarguably one of the best of all time, his record and coaching tree speaks for itself.

• Cheers 1

Ebb Tide?

Alabama Finally Looks Vulnerable Amid Transfer Portal Frenzy

The Crimson Tide have had more than two dozen players enter the portal since Nick Saban’s retirement, leaving a cloud of uncertainty over how the program will fare at the start of a new era.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/18/alabama-finally-looks-vulnerable-transfer-portal-frenzy-caleb-downs?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_8797765&hashed_email=5762d3243f334a753632d00fc8dfc39928bef7ef8ca4abbbabe00ea135d6ed25&lctg=181167390

55 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Ebb Tide?

Alabama Finally Looks Vulnerable Amid Transfer Portal Frenzy

The Crimson Tide have had more than two dozen players enter the portal since Nick Saban’s retirement, leaving a cloud of uncertainty over how the program will fare at the start of a new era.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/18/alabama-finally-looks-vulnerable-transfer-portal-frenzy-caleb-downs?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_8797765&hashed_email=5762d3243f334a753632d00fc8dfc39928bef7ef8ca4abbbabe00ea135d6ed25&lctg=181167390

Good. There's no team in college football that I enjoy seeing lose more than 'Bama and that includes the Longhorns, who are supposed to be the #1 hated team for a Sooners fan....

Gotta say, The Ohio State is near the top of that list, as well....

12 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Good. There's no team in college football that I enjoy seeing lose more than 'Bama and that includes the Longhorns, who are supposed to be the #1 hated team for a Sooners fan....

Gotta say, The Ohio State is near the top of that list, as well....

Haha, name a team you like?

College is like that it seems. Most tend to be ok with teams you either rarely play or who aren't that successful. I'm definitely an outsider insider who appreciates good schemes so i was a fan of saban but i'm ok when texas/unc fall away.

I do hate some teams, the sanders colorado buzz pissed me off as that dallas high school he ran was full of bs and colorado seems like the same stuff.

I don't like penn state as those guys still defend paterno, michigan i dislike for their cheating and not a harbaugh fan and i hate lsu currently because brian kelly is an asshole and should have been held accountable for a player's death (used to like lsu before). 

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Haha, name a team you like?

College is like that it seems. Most tend to be ok with teams you either rarely play or who aren't that successful. I'm definitely an outsider insider who appreciates good schemes so i was a fan of saban but i'm ok when texas/unc fall away.

I do hate some teams, the sanders colorado buzz pissed me off as that dallas high school he ran was full of bs and colorado seems like the same stuff.

I don't like penn state as those guys still defend paterno, michigan i dislike for their cheating and not a harbaugh fan and i hate lsu currently because brian kelly is an asshole and should have been held accountable for a player's death (used to like lsu before).

Other than Oklahoma? Nobody.

That being said, there are teams I'd rather see win that others. I would have been happy to see Washington will it all, or Oregon, if they had won the PAC 12 instead.

Generally, I dislike the SEC and tolerate teams outside of it. (Except for Ohio State and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame) Funny thing is, years ago, my most hated team was Nebraska. It goes back to the very first College Football game I ever saw. It was the day Cable came to Prince George. (yes, I'm old enough to remember that) I got my first look at Saturday afternoon college football and the first game I ever saw was Nebraska at Oklahoma. I've been a Sooners fan ever since and hated the 'Huskers just as long. My dislike for the SEC came years later.

I used to tell a story back on the old forum about the greatest college game I ever saw.....great if you like offense, that is....

It was Oklahoma vs Texas Tech. Baker Mayfield against Patrick Mahomes and basically ever drive for both teams ended in a touchdown. IIRC, the Sooners finally picked off Mahomes for the victory. Final score was 66-59 OU....

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/football/six-from-6-baker-mayfield-patrick-mahomes-staged-an-all-time-shootout-in-west-texas

Lubbock just wasn’t big enough for a shootout between Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes.

In OU’ 66-59 victory, Mayfield passed for 545 yards and seven touchdowns and Mahomes also threw five TD passes and tied the NCAA record with 734 passing yards.

It was a game that set the new standard for offense with 1,708 total yards (an NCAA record — 854 for Oklahoma, 854 for Tech) and 125 points (the second-most points ever involving a ranked team).

Yeah, 734 yards for Mahomes.....and a measly 545 for Baker....:classic_blink:

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Other than Oklahoma? Nobody.

That being said, there are teams I'd rather see win that others. I would have been happy to see Washington will it all, or Oregon, if they had won the PAC 12 instead.

Generally, I dislike the SEC and tolerate teams outside of it. (Except for Ohio State and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame) Funny thing is, years ago, my most hated team was Nebraska. It goes back to the very first College Football game I ever saw. It was the day Cable came to Prince George. (yes, I'm old enough to remember that) I got my first look at Saturday afternoon college football and the first game I ever saw was Nebraska at Oklahoma. I've been a Sooners fan ever since and hated the 'Huskers just as long. My dislike for the SEC came years later.

I used to tell a story back on the old forum about the greatest college game I ever saw.....great if you like offense, that is....

It was Oklahoma vs Texas Tech. Baker Mayfield against Patrick Mahomes and basically ever drive for both teams ended in a touchdown. IIRC, the Sooners finally picked off Mahomes for the victory. Final score was 66-59 OU....

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/football/six-from-6-baker-mayfield-patrick-mahomes-staged-an-all-time-shootout-in-west-texas

Yeah, 734 yards for Mahomes.....and a measly 545 for Baker....:classic_blink:

i remember it, was amazed by kingsbury's offences but then realized that they never won. I loved manziel that first season too, though ryan swoope was fearless and made some great catches. 

I've read about the nebraska-ou rivalry of old. I remember the tommy frazier hype for the NFL. 

The TV thing was the same for me for the NFL. Watched the niners-giants as a kid and chose the niners because of their uniforms. Soon became a huge fan of montana/rice and have been since. Became a canucks fan as i loved the city when i visited. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

The TV thing was the same for me for the NFL. Watched the niners-giants as a kid and chose the niners because of their uniforms. Soon became a huge fan of montana/rice and have been since. Became a canucks fan as i loved the city when i visited. 

Yep.  When I started watching there weren't that many NFL games on tv.   And many of those that were featured the Dallas Cowboys.  Between the frequency of their games, their uniforms and, of course, the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, I became a Cowboys fan.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

12 team playoff for Football starting this upcoming season

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2849153

CFP board unanimously approves 5+7 format

The College Football Playoff board of managers unanimously approved a new 12-team format Tuesday.

The format will feature the five highest-ranked conference champions and seven at-large participants for 2024 and 2025.

No conference will be guaranteed a berth, and there'll be no limits on the number of participants from any conference.

The vote comes after the expected dissolution of the Pac-12. The new 12-team format was originally slated to feature six conference champions and six at-large participants.

Under the new format, the four highest-ranked conference champions will receive first-round byes. Teams that face off in the first round will play at the home field of the higher-ranked program: No. 5 will host No. 12, No. 6 will play No. 11, No. 7 will host No. 10, and No. 9 will visit No. 8.

Quarterfinal and semifinal games will be played in New Year's Six bowl games, while the CFP National Championship will remain a neutral-site contest.

"This is a very logical adjustment for the College Football Playoff based on the evolution of our conference structures since the board first adopted this new format in September 2022," Dr. Mark Keenum, president of Mississippi State and chair of the CFP board of managers, said in a statement.

"I know this change will also be well received by student-athletes, coaches, and fans. We all will be pleased to see this new format come to life on the field this postseason."

Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama would've received first-round byes last year under the new format. Florida State, which would've been the fifth-ranked conference champion, would've hosted Oklahoma. In addition, Georgia would've played Ole Miss, Ohio State and Penn State would've met in Columbus, and Missouri would've visited Oregon in the first round.

• Thanks 1