After the loss to the Blues, I called for Petterson to be moved to Millers wing because I think he’s better suited as a winger than a center. My reasoning might be shallow but it is my reasoning and we’re all entitled to our opinion. In my opinion Petey has face off troubles (doesn’t win enough). Also I believe he is a player that needs high calibre players around him to produce at his best. He has an inability to elevate players around him compared to some of the other top players around the league. He’s not at the same level as other centers in the league. I.e. you can play  plugs with Crosby/Mackinnon and they will produce - the same can’t be said about Petey. 

Now to be clear the purpose of this thread is not to bash Petey. He’s a star player no doubt and maybe one day becomes that player that carries his line on his back. But right now that player is Miller. 

Boeser-Miller-Petey is a proven line. A recipe for success. 

I feel the Canucks need to make 1 key move and they will instantly become contenders for the cup (right now I only consider them a playoff team). The Canucks need to find a way to acquire a proven 2nd line center. This player does not to be another Miller, but a Miller-lite. Anything better would just be gravy.

Boeser-Miller-Petey

Mikheyev-NEW GUY-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Aman-Sutr-Lafferty

This is the one year I believe the Canucks should go all in. We have too many key UFA/RFA to sign this summer and will most likely lose some of our depth due to raises. 

I’m tired of 10 years of mediocre teams & play. If we can find someone to retain salary on a 2nd line center I would be ok with trading our 2024 1st round pick. It will be a low one anyway with the way the standings are shaping up and we will finish high. Would even go as far as making our 2025 1st round pick available or B/C level prospects. 

Our prospect pool is not so bare anymore and I think we could manage. I’m hoping for a Miller or Hronek type deal where it’s not just for a rental.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Constructive criticism is welcome.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Nah. Petey is better at C and 1 game is 1 game.

Petey and Miller being our #1 and #2 is great AND cheap. No way we can afford a #2 center.

For a moment, forget Petey was ever a C. You think the Canucks can’t have one 12 Million winger when the Maple leafs have Marner/Nylander for 11-12 million (currently or soon to be). At least Miller is signed to a decent contract. I think we can look at getting a 5-8 mil 2C. 

Just an out of the box idea. Or we need to get a 5-8 mil 2LW or 2RW. Mikheyev/Kuzmenko might be 2nd line players on our team but they are 3rd line players on a contender.

This is where not retaining Toffoli was a big mistake in my opinion. He gave us some actual skill on the 2nd line.

Edited by CanuckMan
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

For a moment, forget Petey was ever a C. You think the Canucks can’t have one 12 Million winger when the Maple leafs have Marner/Nylander for 11-12 million (currently or soon to be). At least Miller is signed to a decent contract. I think we can look at getting a 5-8 mil 2C. 

Just an out of the box idea. Or we need to get a 5-8 mil 2LW or 2RW. Mikheyev/Kuzmenko might be 2nd line players on our team but they are 3rd line players on a contender.

This is where not retaining Toffoli was a big mistake in my opinion. He gave us some actual skill on the 2nd line.

Not necessarily disagreeing that we could use a better top-6 option but I still much prefer Petey at center and his face-offs, which is his weakest asset, are improving. When they are all on their game, I still really like Mikheyev/Pettersson/Kuzmenko as a unit. You can't beat chemistry and they have it. Additionally, I like scoring being spread throughout the lineup. Loading up one line doesn't really work, especially come playoff time.

My concern is the cap. We have some potential huge contracts coming up (Pettersson and Hronek in particular) and a #2 is not really affordable. Wingers (especially from within the system) are a cheaper option.

Also, I'd be careful looking to the Leafs as inspiration for cap related dealings. They could have some very huge problems in the near future throwing over 50% of their cap on 4 players.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

After the loss to the Blues, I called for Petterson to be moved to Millers wing because I think he’s better suited as a winger than a center. My reasoning might be shallow but it is my reasoning and we’re all entitled to our opinion. In my opinion Petey has face off troubles (doesn’t win enough). Also I believe he is a player that needs high calibre players around him to produce at his best. He has an inability to elevate players around him compared to some of the other top players around the league. He’s not at the same level as other centers in the league. I.e. you can play  plugs with Crosby/Mackinnon and they will produce - the same can’t be said about Petey. 

Now to be clear the purpose of this thread is not to bash Petey. He’s a star player no doubt and maybe one day becomes that player that carries his line on his back. But right now that player is Miller. 

Boeser-Miller-Petey is a proven line. A recipe for success. 

I feel the Canucks need to make 1 key move and they will instantly become contenders for the cup (right now I only consider them a playoff team). The Canucks need to find a way to acquire a proven 2nd line center. This player does not to be another Miller, but a Miller-lite. Anything better would just be gravy.

Boeser-Miller-Petey

Mikheyev-NEW GUY-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Aman-Sutr-Lafferty

This is the one year I believe the Canucks should go all in. We have too many key UFA/RFA to sign this summer and will most likely lose some of our depth due to raises. 

I’m tired of 10 years of mediocre teams & play. If we can find someone to retain salary on a 2nd line center I would be ok with trading our 2024 1st round pick. It will be a low one anyway with the way the standings are shaping up and we will finish high. Would even go as far as making our 2025 1st round pick available or B/C level prospects. 

Our prospect pool is not so bare anymore and I think we could manage. I’m hoping for a Miller or Hronek type deal where it’s not just for a rental.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Constructive criticism is welcome.

Petey played centre. Miller took some winger draws. But Petey played centre. 
Plus it’s way easier and cheaper to acquire a winger than a centre. 
We have the best 1-2 centre combination in the league. 

11 hours ago, Pears said:

I've been thinking the same. Any piece outside of Willander and Lekkerimaki should be available for the right player. 

coincidentally, I’ve been asking myself the following question:  Is there any young budding superstar out there that plays C, is on an ELC, and is currently playing in the NHL…….that perhaps could be acquired if we packaged both Willander and Lekkerimaki?  

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

coincidentally, I’ve been asking myself the following question:  Is there any young budding superstar out there that plays C, is on an ELC, and is currently playing in the NHL…….that perhaps could be acquired if we packaged both Willander and Lekkerimaki?  

There's a guy in Chicago thats supposed to be pretty good, but I heard he got hurt the other day, so I think Chicago would have to add for us to take him off their hands.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I'm just not super comfortable trading either of those guys tbh. A Lindholm-calibre center is what we should be looking for and keep the lotto line intact permanently. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I'm just not super comfortable trading either of those guys tbh. A Lindholm-calibre center is what we should be looking for and keep the lotto line intact permanently. 

Yup. Allvin found a great partner for Hughes. I expect he will find a great running mate for Petey too. 

Sean Monahan would be a good trade target if we can trade picks or prospects for him:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Monahan-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

This imo is a really deep forward group, and we can roll 4 lines. Monahan is more of a goal scoring winger, and in his prime, he loves getting feed in the slot by Gaudreau in Calgary. Kuzmenko is actually a very smart/creative playmaker as well. Mikheyev as the forechecker, Kuzmenk is the playmaker, Monahan down the middle as the finisher could be a very underrated second line. Though, I do worry about their defensive capabilities when we play the heavier teams.

41 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Sean Monahan would be a good trade target if we can trade picks or prospects for him:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Monahan-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

This imo is a really deep forward group, and we can roll 4 lines. Monahan is more of a goal scoring winger, and in his prime, he loves getting feed in the slot by Gaudreau in Calgary. Kuzmenko is actually a very smart/creative playmaker as well. Mikheyev as the forechecker, Kuzmenk is the playmaker, Monahan down the middle as the finisher could be a very underrated second line. Though, I do worry about their defensive capabilities when we play the heavier teams.

I would be ok with Sean Monahan. 1.985 cap hit with an expiring contract. I think we have 2.5 mil in cap space right now? Montreal is only 5 points out of the last wildcard spot. Maybe in another 15-20 games they will be completely out of the picture. He could be a low risk high reward acquisition. Could probably have him for a draft pick and not lose anyone significant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

What do you think acquiring lindholm would cost?

8 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I would be ok with Sean Monahan. 1.985 cap hit with an expiring contract. I think we have 2.5 mil in cap space right now? Montreal is only 5 points out of the last wildcard spot. Maybe in another 15-20 games they will be completely out of the picture. He could be a low risk high reward acquisition. Could probably have him for a draft pick and not lose anyone significant. 

No we have $332k of cap space. Any addition is likely going to require us to send some cap out.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

It would cost too much. Calgary is a divisional rival and they are going to want to get a haul for him. Although Lindholm is having a down season, but he has shown capabilities of scoring around 30 goals over the last 5-6 seasons. He was also not far away from his Selke nomination season that's 2 years ago. A change in scenery may get a boost on his play.

Canucks would also be hesitant to give up what the Flames want, as the assets we gave them could be a pain to play against for years to come. Lindholm is also not guranteed to re-sign here at a reasonable caphit.

I have a hard time seeing the Canucks getting Lindholm at the TDL.

lol inability to elevate people around him.. he spent majority of his nhl career with goldobin eriksson virtanen gaudette roussel motte schaller bailey highmore chiasson lammiko podkolzin.. not exactly much talent to "elevate" lol.. imagine almost a ppg in his rookie season with loui and goldobin lmao.. 

lotto line have proven to work short term.. it literally worked for 1 season only and then was bad the next 2 to the point it was split up.. moving EP up makes this a even easier team to play against.. literally a 1 line team and then have the 3rd line which is going great for us play above their level.. or have to find a 2c and multiple wingers.. kuzmenko is gone either at the tdl or offseason.. this management ain't going to let 5.5mil sit in the pressbox or the bench every couple games.. find some actual talent to play with Ep rather than a bunch of guys that have never even hit 40 points in a season.. if EP is suppose to be ur top scoring line at the beginning of the season.. playing him with a bunch of sub 40 point career guy as his winger is pretty embarassing... Miller plays with Boeser and hughes.. a 50-60 point guy and an almost ppg defenceman.. ep plays with mikheyev who never hit 40 points kuzmenko who's not allowed to play freely offensively and cole/myers/soucy all 3 doesn't even add up to hughes or hronek in points.. instead of getting a 2c.. get some top 6 that are actually top 6 rather than players that's been a career 3rd liner and hope they become a top 6. so we have 3 lines that we can roll rather than 1 and a half

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

The starting point would be a 1st and a B grade prospect which I would probably do tbh. 

29 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

It would cost too much. Calgary is a divisional rival and they are going to want to get a haul for him. Although Lindholm is having a down season, but he has shown capabilities of scoring around 30 goals over the last 5-6 seasons. He was also not far away from his Selke nomination season that's 2 years ago. A change in scenery may get a boost on his play.

Canucks would also be hesitant to give up what the Flames want, as the assets we gave them could be a pain to play against for years to come. Lindholm is also not guranteed to re-sign here at a reasonable caphit.

I have a hard time seeing the Canucks getting Lindholm at the TDL.

To be fair we all thought it would've taken more than a 3rd and 5th to get Zadorov from them. It'll most likely take a fair bit but he'd be worth it if we can make the cap work. 

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey played centre. Miller took some winger draws. But Petey played centre. 
Plus it’s way easier and cheaper to acquire a winger than a centre. 
We have the best 1-2 centre combination in the league. 

Petey DIDN't play center Milller did no matter how many times you state that, its not going to make it change.:classic_laugh:

I seen Petey take one face off and I think its because Miller got thrown out. Petey may have had a couple of more but I only remember that one. 

Petey, as a Center, doesn't go into the corners to retrieve the puck , in general, Miller does.

Petey is still not strong on faceoffs so how do you come up with " We have the best 1-2 centre combination in the league."?

Petey's line has been struggling lately and the thrd line has been caring a lot of the play the past while.

A bit of homerism running through you there Alf? :classic_biggrin:

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1