Having NHL/AHL Team in same city - how advantegous is it?

Hi guys,

How much of an advantage do you guys think it is to signing / re-signing borderline NHL/AHL players when the NHL/AHL team are in the same Metro area?

The Linus Karlsson situation got me wondering that Linus probably has one residence and for him it's pretty much like having 2 potential places to work when he's at home. He either has to wake up and drive to Abbotsford or Vancouver. When either team is on the road - it's the same situation, the team pays for travel. Whereas a team like Seattle's who's AHL team is in Palm Springs, when someone gets a call up to play in Seattle they have to pack up and relocate.

What I'm not sure about is what is the deal with NHL team's providing living accommodation for their primarily AHL players? Do they rent out hotels/apartments for them or the AHL palyers on the hook to pay for their accommodation when they are with the team for "home games"?

if AHL players are on the hook for all home game based accommodation than how much of an advantage do teams like Vancouver have in recruiting AHL talent? AHL salaries are small and I'd think this is a huge factor in decision making. Especially if you're starting to start a family and not having to be on the road as much when you're trying to pursue your dream.

I hope this is one of those not-talked about thing that will benefit the Canucks long-term by being able to recruit younger talent, based on offering better work-life balance.

thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

It's crappy living in hotel rooms no mater who pays. Nothing like home sweet home I say.

I think it is an advantage  having the farm team so close to the big team. You make some very good points.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

It's a huge advantage.  The Utica Comets, by all accounts, was a super well run franchise and great to be partners with, but calling up players was often a logistical nightmare.  The Canucks can easily run a 21 or 22 man roster knowing a call up is just a short drive away.  This limits time in the press box and travel fatigue too for the players.  It's also easier for management to check in on the prospects in person.

As far as housing, not sure what the Canucks do but it's not uncommon for teams to buy a row of townhouses or a block of apartments for players to live.  According to the CBA I think they have to offer some place to live for the first 28 days (so I doubt those townhouses/apartments are free for the entire duration).  It's also not uncommon for younger players to live with veterans, especially while they get on their feet.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Quite nice for the club, but must be rather hectic for a guy like Karlsson, to not know where you're playing on such a short notice.

Im sure the stress is worth it, the pay cheque he gets is a hell of a lot bigger sitting at the press box in rogers than playing in abby

Edited by filthy animal
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bh90 said:

Hi guys,

How much of an advantage do you guys think it is to signing / re-signing borderline NHL/AHL players when the NHL/AHL team are in the same Metro area?

The Linus Karlsson situation got me wondering that Linus probably has one residence and for him it's pretty much like having 2 potential places to work when he's at home. He either has to wake up and drive to Abbotsford or Vancouver. When either team is on the road - it's the same situation, the team pays for travel. Whereas a team like Seattle's who's AHL team is in Palm Springs, when someone gets a call up to play in Seattle they have to pack up and relocate.

What I'm not sure about is what is the deal with NHL team's providing living accommodation for their primarily AHL players? Do they rent out hotels/apartments for them or the AHL palyers on the hook to pay for their accommodation when they are with the team for "home games"?

if AHL players are on the hook for all home game based accommodation than how much of an advantage do teams like Vancouver have in recruiting AHL talent? AHL salaries are small and I'd think this is a huge factor in decision making. Especially if you're starting to start a family and not having to be on the road as much when you're trying to pursue your dream.

I hope this is one of those not-talked about thing that will benefit the Canucks long-term by being able to recruit younger talent, based on offering better work-life balance.

thoughts?

I know most AHL players in Cali need a break from the girlfriend to go play in Seattle.

15 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

Canucks management are able to keep their eyes on the Abby team closer/easier.

Also easier access for coaches,like the Sedins. And also Clark can easily work with the goalies of both teams.