I'm really not that comfortable:

We're on a great run here:  anyone here comfortable giving a roster player for a swing at the cup?  I'm not!  

We know a rental will cost us:  Hogs?  Kuz?  Boeser?  Mik?  Juulsen?   It's likely a seller would want a solid piece (or two) back in a trade.  

Teams in our position will be loading up and buying a chance at the cup:  who are you willing to sell?  

Makes me nervous, especially when there's talk of Lekkerimaki and Willander.  I believe there's a few prospects that are untouchable, though, including them.

I would hate to lose Hoglander. I have no issues treading picks if the right player is brought in. 

I don't like burning picks but I could see management being willing to move the following if the right deal came along

2024 1st

2025 1st

2025 2nd

Middle and lower picks

Kuzmenko

Garland

Mikheyev

Hoglander

Joshua

Myers

McDonough

Podkolzin

Raty

Bains

Kudryavtsev

Pettersson

Silovs

Any lesser prospects

I think as far as prospects go it'd only really be Lekkerimaki and Willander being off limits 

But like I said, it'd take the right deal, which doesn't mean the Canucks are shopping any of these pieces or actually interested in moving them out 

Gotta give to get at the end of the day though, particularly if they want to add someone of higher caliber, teams will be asking for things we probably would prefer to keep if we're asking about players like Guentzel, Lindholm, ect 

Edited by Coconuts

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't like burning picks but I could see management being willing to move the following if the right deal came along

2024 1st

2025 1st

2025 2nd

Middle and lower picks

Kuzmenko

Garland

Mikheyev

Hoglander

Joshua

Myers

McDonough

Podkolzin

Raty

Bains

Kudryavtsev

Pettersson

Silovs

Any lesser prospects

I think as far as prospects go it'd only really be Lekkerimaki and Willander being off limits 

But like I said, it'd take the right deal, which doesn't mean the Canucks are shopping any of these pieces or actually interested in moving them out 

Gotta give to get at the end of the day though, particularly if they want to add someone of higher caliber, teams will be asking for things we probably would prefer to keep if we're asking about players like Guentzel, Lindholm, ect 

Holy crap, that's an amazing package!  We could get Eric Lindros + more!

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

2024 1st

2025 1st

2025 2nd

Middle and lower picks

Kuzmenko

Garland

Mikheyev

Hoglander

Joshua

Myers

McDonough

Podkolzin

Raty

Bains

Kudryavtsev

Pettersson

Silovs

Any lesser prospects

I agree. I think the only way we'd even consider moving Lekkerimaki or Willander (I still wouldn't want to) is for a big time player no one is talking about that would make us a lock for the Cup and favourites for the next few years. Guys like Podkolzin and Raty though I'd 100% move for the right player. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

I agree. I think the only way we'd even consider moving Lekkerimaki or Willander (I still wouldn't want to) is for a big time player no one is talking about that would make us a lock for the Cup and favourites for the next few years. Guys like Podkolzin and Raty though I'd 100% move for the right player. 

If management agrees with some posters round these parts and sees this season as a single season window that opens up into another window a little later, it may be that they decide to pony up. If they do, I don't think there are too many players, picks, and prospects they won't be willing to part with. Instrumental guys probably don't go, the team will want to get stronger, not weaker. 

But yeah, I just don't see Lekkerimaki or Willander being available, pretty sure management has them pegged as being RFA's who could have a decent NHL impact at a young age. Stars right off the hop? Probably not, but the best way to get high end players on your roster is to draft, develop, and integrate them. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If management agrees with some posters round these parts and sees this season as a single season window that opens up into another window a little later, it may be that they decide to pony up. If they do, I don't think there are too many players, picks, and prospects they won't be willing to part with. Instrumental guys probably don't go, the team will want to get stronger, not weaker. 

But yeah, I just don't see Lekkerimaki or Willander being available, pretty sure management has them pegged as being RFA's who could have a decent NHL impact at a young age. Stars right off the hop? Probably not, but the best way to get high end players on your roster is to draft, develop, and integrate them. 

Exactly. We're gonna need them when we start feeling the cap crunch of the Pettersson/Hronek/Joshua extensions. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Pears said:

Exactly. We're gonna need them when we start feeling the cap crunch of the Pettersson/Hronek/Joshua extensions. 

I think their RFA status will have more impact when Demko and Hughes need re-upping imo, I'm not really expecting either player to be Canucks next season and I think that'd probably be best. Lekkerimaki will be 20 in July, Willander will be 19 in February, I could very well seeing management allowing them to stew a bit longer. I don't think they'd be impact players next season anyway, there's really no need to rush them. 

Demko has two years left on his deal after this season, Hughes has three. I could see one, or both, of Lekkerimaki and Willander breaking in for the 25-26 season.  

• Like 3

How often does any one given team end up at the top of the standings? Not often. With 32 teams in the league, there can only be so many who truly have a chance to win the cup. And for the teams fortunate enough to be in that position, maybe they can string two or three years together, but rarely more than that in our cap league.  Sometimes they falter as soon as the year after and then fall out of contention for several years while they retool or rebuild. Changes can and often do happen quickly.

Now, there are many things which need to come together to allow for even one league-leading season. Coaching from top to bottom. Goaltending. Scoring ability. Defense - and not just on the back end, but defensive structure and buy-in from the whole team. Chemistry. Navigating cap constraints. Drafting and developing. Contract negotiations to keep everything under the cap. And perhaps above all else: Confidence. So knowing all the ingredients which need to apply in order for this to occur, it's easy to see why it doesn't happen often. So when it DOES happen (as it's happening right now), I think it would be foolish to squander the opportunity. 

I'm not saying we throw all futures away. To me, Willander is a guy who we are best keeping unless an offer was so ridiculous we have no choice. But it takes assets to get assets, and unfortunately that means if we need to sacrifice some future and guys we like to help increase the possibility of winning a cup now. Who knows: Perhaps by the end of the season Petey ends up not not wanting to sign after all and the team as we know it starts falling apart. Maybe next season the players don't respond to Tocchet's coaching as they do now. Who knows. 

But in the NHL where consistent winning is a fleeting occurrence, I say management and ownership should take the bull by the horns now and run with it.

Petey has always said he wants to play on a team that has a good chance of getting deep into the playoffs.  If he and his agent sense a possible trade coming it might light a fire under negotiations if he really wants to stay in Vancouver.

7 hours ago, Comox Blaster said:

Petey has always said he wants to play on a team that has a good chance of getting deep into the playoffs.  If he and his agent sense a possible trade coming it might light a fire under negotiations if he really wants to stay in Vancouver.

Nope he will wait till the summer.He has said that many times.