[Discussion] Equivalent of the 2011 Trade Deadline in 2024

Just wondering your thoughts on what we would be a good equivalent today of one of the best deadline days the Canucks have had, Feb 2011 when we acquired Higgins (for Oberg and a 3rd) and Lapierre (for Perrault and a 3rd)- both becoming important players in the finals run and both re-signed after the season if I remember correctly! Would love to recreate that again... (just for fun, obvs we need a 2nd line C etc)

Maxim Lapierre, Chris Higgins added

• ESPN.com news services
Feb 28, 2011, 10:45 PM

The Vancouver Canucks, looking to bolster their lineup for what they hope will be a long playoff run, acquired two forwards Monday before the trade deadline.

They added Christopher Higgins from the Florida Panthers and Maxim Lapierre from the Anaheim Ducks. This will be Lapierre's third team of the season, having started with the Montreal Canadiens.

The Canucks sent defenseman Evan Oberg and a third-round pick in the 2013 draft to Florida for Higgins, who is sidelined for another week to 10 days with a broken thumb.

The Canucks also acquired
forward prospect MacGregor Sharp from the Ducks, sending them center Joel Perrault and a third-round pick.

Entering Monday night's games, the Canucks have the best record in the league (39-15-9).

"We feel we made our team a little better today," Canucks general
manager Mike Gillis said of the deals. "We feel we have something
really unique in that dressing room that we don't want to mess
with."

Lapierre, 25, will be counted on to settle a fourth line that
has used 11 different forwards this season, and often employed
wingers out of position in the middle.

Drafted 61st overall by Montreal in 2003, Lapierre also has 35
playoff games in five seasons with the Canadiens, where he played
for Canucks coach Alain Vigneault.

"Alain is completely confident he has a good relationship with
him and that he's coachable and that he wants to win," Gillis
said. "That was a major reason we made this transaction."

Higgins had 11 goals and 23 points in Florida this season.

The 27-year-old, who had a career-high 27 goals and 52 points in
Montreal in 2007-08, will start alongside Lapierre, a former
teammate in Montreal, on the fourth line. But he could push for
playing time on the second line, where Mason Raymond has struggled.

To clear room on the roster and the salary cap for the two
additions, the Canucks sent center Cody Hodgson, the 10th overall
pick in 2008, and fourth line winger Victor Oreskovich to Manitoba
of the American Hockey League.

Edited by Visp

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Goodness those were some sweet deals by Gillis.

Not forgetting this beauty: In the summer of 2009, Ehrhoff was traded to the Vancouver Canucks on 28 August 2009, along with defenceman Brad Lukowich, in exchange for prospects Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi.

Edited by Visp
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Visp said:

Not forgetting this beauty: In the summer of 2009, Ehrhoff was traded to the Vancouver Canucks on 28 August 2009, along with defenceman Brad Lukowich, in exchange for prospects Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi.

Ahaha yeah, taking big advantage of tough cap situation for the Sharks, if I recall. They had to dump cap and Gillis took advantage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Ahaha yeah, taking big advantage of tough cap situation for the Sharks, if I recall. They had to dump cap and Gillis took advantage.

Yeah, they had the deal for Heatley in place if I remember correctly and were desperate for the cap space. Absolute master class by MG on that one.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Visp said:

Wonder if Allvin could replicate this and add Chychrun?  ($4.6 million * 2 years, apparently wants out of OTT [though he calls them baseless who really knows], Sens only have $12 million in projected space next season [likely even less with Forsberg currently on LTIR], with Tarasenko/ Kubalik (UFA), Brannstrom and Pinto (both RFA) to re-sign).  If we play our cards right, re-sign Petey and Hronek (assuming $20 million total), let Myers and Cole walk, then re-sign Zadorov ($4 million?) and bring back Suter/ Blueger/ Joshua/ DeSmith on team-friendly deals or let them walk (depth guys would probably sign for cheaper to stay with contenders) and find some Pearson-esque trades for Kuzmenko.   

Alternatively, if Arizona keeps falling I'd hope we can get Bjugstad, since he'd be versatile enough to slot in at 2C or play on the wing if Lotto remains split up.  $2.1 million * 2 years, right-shot all situations C, while the Coyotes have Kerfoot/ Cooley/ McBain and now Ruzicka as potential C options.  Perhaps dangle Kuzmenko with some retention or a pick on top?  (Would like Kesselring too but he's probably not available).

Yeah these are the sort of TDL that make a team. I think when you look down at all the Cup winners, they all make very savvy small deals which end up complementing an already-great team with solid chemistry. Some teams will go out and make a big play and then struggle. TImo Meier struck me as one of those deals last year with NJD but that's more of a long-term deal. Kane to NYR was a bit like that. 

The Canucks have one of the best offences in the league, sure the middle-6 is lacking a bit, but we've got more stars than pretty much every team in the NHL. We've got the best defenceman in the league and another top-10 guy in Hronek, then a bunch of solid 4th overall guys. In goal we've got a great tandem.

We've got to be careful who we add. Obviously a solid center would be nice, or a top-6 winger, but we've got to be careful adding a star. I know Guenztel's name's been thrown around a lot but I'm always cautious about these big star trades to a team which is already doing so well.

Problem is a trade like those for Higgins/Lapierre won't help this team too much because we're already chock-full of guys like that. Ideally we'd acquire a center who can play wing, score a good 50-60 points and play solid defence. No one who will steal the limelight of our stars but complement them well, and ideally they'd be a playoff-type player (gritty, good character, doesn't shy away from physicality). Not sure there's many guys like that out there. Guentzel is a playoff performer. Lindholm ticks a lot of those boxes but can he be strong and physical enough in the playoffs, we don't really know.

Not much point acquiring character 30-40pt guys because our entire bottom-9 is made up of them.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:51 PM, Visp said:

Man, 13 year old me couldn't believe we got a guy like Ehrhoff for so little. Lukowich was a serviceable defenseman for his time here too.