[Proposal] Let's Go For It

Got a little bit of everything going on here. Everyone knows getting a guy like Guentzel would cost a ton, but if we're really serious about making a splash, then adding his ability and playoff pedigree to Petey's line would be well worth it.

I also really like the idea of adding a greybeard like Maroon to the bottom six for his experience. Worked the numbers on CapFriendly and we'd have just over $700K in cap space remaining. 

To Vancouver: Jake Guentzel (50% retained)

To Pittsburgh: Ilya Mikheyev (cap reasons), Vasily Podkolzin, Hunter Brzustewicz, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd

To Vancouver: Chris Tanev (50% retained)

To Calgary: 2025 2nd, Aidan McDonough

To Vancouver: Pat Maroon

To Minnesota: 2024 6th (SJ)

Roster for the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs:

Guentzel - Pettersson - Boeser

Höglander - Miller - Kuzmenko

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Maroon - Suter - Lafferty

Åman

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Cole/Soucy - Myers

Demko

DeSmith

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Got a little bit of everything going on here. Everyone knows getting a guy like Guentzel would cost a ton, but if we're really serious about making a splash, then adding his ability and playoff pedigree to Petey's line would be well worth it.

I also really like the idea of adding a greybeard like Maroon to the bottom six for his experience. Worked the numbers on CapFriendly and we'd have just over $700K in cap space remaining. 

To Vancouver: Jake Guentzel (50% retained)

To Pittsburgh: Ilya Mikheyev (cap reasons), Vasily Podkolzin, Hunter Brzustewicz, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd

To Vancouver: Chris Tanev (50% retained)

To Calgary: 2025 2nd, Aidan McDonough

To Vancouver: Pat Maroon

To Minnesota: 2024 6th (SJ)

Roster for the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs:

Guentzel - Pettersson - Boeser

Höglander - Miller - Kuzmenko

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Maroon - Suter - Lafferty

Åman

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Cole/Soucy - Myers

Demko

DeSmith

That's a lot for Guentzel, equivalent of a top 9 player, 2 X 1st. round picks and 2 x 3rd. round picks.  And, Brzustewicz is putting up some fabulous numbers in the OHL.  I realize that we finally have a good stock of effective D on the roster and in the pipeline but......I can't help but remember how many years the team was starving for quality D and I'm not keen on giving up good D prospects now.  I do, however, agree that Guentzel is a quality player and a worthy trade target.  

Cheers.

• Cheers 1

Hunter, Podkolzin and a 1st is too much for someone we can’t sign.

Tanev we should just wait until the off-season.

Maroon is an interesting trade. However, can his speed and skating keep up with the team?

Edited by J-23

I think those are fair valued trades, crazy if Calgary want a 1st for a defenceman playing under 20 minutes as essentially a rental. Don't think we need Maroon really and don't want to mess with our chemistry though.

I'd like to think a 1st + Kuzmenko + Hunter + Podkolzin is enough for Guentzel but then I'd be hesitant to trade anymore futures away. 

I said in another post that why not just raid Calgary the way they did to us?

Kuzmenko + 1st + D.Petey/H.B + Podkolzin for Lindholm + Tanev

Quite all-in though.

• Like 2

Eww for 15 games and a playoff run with Guentzal. I’d rather send a similar package for a guy we can retain for the future. Like a Eriksson Ek or Casey Mittlestadt (both could be long term solutions for the 2C spot. Or spend a little cheaper and get a Jenner, Novak or Kerfoot. I honestly think we’re better off keeping Miller as the Center with Pettersson and Boeser and getting another center for that 2nd line. Petey isn’t good enough at FO’s to lock him in at center and he’s been playing better on the wing.