[Discussion] Cost of Acquisition: Martin Necas

Looking around the league for players that might be decent long-term fits on the Canucks I started to get interested in Martin Necas as a potential target.

He just turned 25, is one of the fastest skaters in the league, has good size at 6'2", and while not wrecking ball is still more physical than Boeser/Garland/Mikheyev and doesn't back away from confrontation. While his scoring has been inconsistent times, his skill is evident and he might be a great fit with Petey.

Now, obviously Carolina is currently rolling and is not going to just sell off assets for draft capital/futures. They are looking to win now. That being said, Necas seems to have been supplanted by Seth Jarvis on Carolina's roster and is no longer being used on the PK this year. Also, while he had a career year last year his numbers are back down a little bit this year scoring at a 55-60 point pace. Additionally, he's an upcoming RFA so will command a raise.

So, for the right price, Necas might be available. My question is what do you think he might cost to acquire?

My first thought is something along the lines of Mikheyev + Hoglander + 2025 2nd. Gives Carolina a speedy, defensively sound winger to replace Necas, a sh*t-disturber with more offensive upside in Hoglander, and a 2nd to account for the difference in cap hit. I really like Hoglander but I also think he could be a valuable piece to use to upgrade the roster. Would you do it? Would Carolina want more?

49 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If we're giving up that much off the current roster, it feels like a lateral move.

Losing Hoglander would hurt our secondary scoring, but I think Necas is enough of an upgrade on Mikheyev to be worth it. Mostly I'm just trying to think of who might be a good linemate for Petey without selling half the team/ a bunch of high draft picks.

1) Necas is doing just fine for Carolina - he is one of the most cost-controlled players on that team and they have no reason to trade him in the middle of the season.  These types of players get moved in the summer, not the winter.

2) You are trying to move $6M onto Carolina while only taking back $3M.  Literally impossible.

3) Necas has some notable flaws in his game that Tocchet might not like.  He is very much a perimeter player who likes to do damage from the outside.

image.png.2b7b63f2ed03fb8bf878307a28f8ff89.png

46 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

1) Necas is doing just fine for Carolina - he is one of the most cost-controlled players on that team and they have no reason to trade him in the middle of the season.  These types of players get moved in the summer, not the winter.

2) You are trying to move $6M onto Carolina while only taking back $3M.  Literally impossible.

3) Necas has some notable flaws in his game that Tocchet might not like.  He is very much a perimeter player who likes to do damage from the outside.

image.png.2b7b63f2ed03fb8bf878307a28f8ff89.png

I'm definitely aware he has some flaws, but that's also why I think it's a) not impossible to acquire him and b) he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Also, regarding point 2), Carolina currently has 3.3M in cap space. So it is literally possible to send Carolina 6M and take back 3M. Personally I think that's worth about a 2nd round pick which is why I included that.

27 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I'm definitely aware he has some flaws, but that's also why I think it's a) not impossible to acquire him and b) he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Also, regarding point 2), Carolina currently has 3.3M in cap space. So it is literally possible to send Carolina 6M and take back 3M. Personally I think that's worth about a 2nd round pick which is why I included that.

And what interest does Carolina (a team looking to win the cup) have in acquiring a 2nd round pick?  We are both likely to be buyers at the deadline.

Vancouver needs second line scoring.  Carolina needs scoring overall.  Both teams will be targeting top six forwards like Monahan, Lindholm and Tarasenko.  It would make no sense for them to trade with each other. 

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Losing Hoglander would hurt our secondary scoring, but I think Necas is enough of an upgrade on Mikheyev to be worth it. Mostly I'm just trying to think of who might be a good linemate for Petey without selling half the team/ a bunch of high draft picks.

That's what I mean though, we're losing Hoglander AND Mikheyev.  So the upgrade on Mikheyev is washed out by the loss of Hoglander.

• Cheers 1

Not the type of player I'd like, I thought he was quite solid defensively a while ago/when he came into the league but his plus-minus is getting shelled despite being on a good team and his advanced stats aren't pretty which is telling. Size means nothing these days, I'd rather have a defensively-sound Suter or Blueger scoring 40 points and relatively small than a big defensively-poor Necas who seems to score around 60 points. Call me crazy but that's how Tocchet has built this team - scoring stars and then everyone else cover your arse defensively. Necas as a 2C would get destroyed in the playoffs by a line like say...Draisaitl's.