Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

-AJ-

If this first pre-season game for Petey was an indication of an actual improvement in the dot, we could very seriously be looking at a #3-5 finish in Selke voting for Petey this year. That and his penalty killing were the only two things holding him back. Having guys like Cole or Soucy along with better goaltending should help the PK part.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If this first pre-season game for Petey was an indication of an actual improvement in the dot, we could very seriously be looking at a #3-5 finish in Selke voting for Petey this year. That and his penalty killing were the only two things holding him back. Having guys like Cole or Soucy along with better goaltending should help the PK part.

Face offs, yes.

But Petey and Miller led the league in SH goals last year. 

16 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Face offs, yes.

But Petey and Miller led the league in SH goals last year. 

They were good on that front, but our PK was the worst in the league. Even if you account for shorthanded scoring, I think we were 30th or 31st. Hard to give serious Selke consideration to a guy who plays a big role on that penalty kill.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

They were good on that front, but our PK was the worst in the league. Even if you account for shorthanded scoring, I think we were 30th or 31st. Hard to give serious Selke consideration to a guy who plays a big role on that penalty kill.

True. But the whole team stunk, though did improve at the end. 

Just pointing out that Pettersson was already effective on the PK. 

Let's hope last night's PK is a sign of good things this season. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ruh Roh

Freidman reporting if there is “any doubt Petey wants to re-sign in Vancouver, the Canucks “may not want to commit” either. 

Not sure if Elliot is just creating drama as they always have to with the Canucks but perhaps it’s a hint Mgmt is not going to overpay him, and want him to take a slight discount to ensure the team can improve.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Ruh Roh

Freidman reporting if there is “any doubt Petey wants to re-sign in Vancouver, the Canucks “may not want to commit” either. 

Not sure if Elliot is just creating drama as they always have to with the Canucks but perhaps it’s a hint Mgmt is not going to overpay him, and want him to take a slight discount to ensure the team can improve.

Cartoon No GIF by Scooby-Doo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Déjà Vu said:

BYE BYE EP40 , u will be missed, hopefully we get someone good in return when the time is right

He seems like a very me first player. Works hard but Petey comes first. Maybe it’s just the language issue and not liking media, because we can’t complain about his on ice effort 

but - linden never said “I’ll see how it goes”, dude cried when he left. Smyl, Sedins never did, etc. I dunno about him 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

He seems like a very me first player. Works hard but Petey comes first. Maybe it’s just the language issue and not liking media, because we can’t complain about his on ice effort 

but - linden never said “I’ll see how it goes”, dude cried when he left. Smyl, Sedins never did, etc. I dunno about him 

Imagine if this Summer Petey would've signed for eight years and said, "I want to put this team on my back and win the Stanley Cup in Vancouver." 

We've had a few of those kind of leaders in the past and that's what we need to go to the next level. 

• ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Ruh Roh

650 talking the same this morning. They’re suggesting management is waiting to see how the club performs this year and if it’s not looking good then they might trade Petey to make significant change. They also talked about Petey’s lack of commitment to a leadership role. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

650 talking the same this morning. They’re suggesting management is waiting to see how the club performs this year and if it’s not looking good then they might trade Petey to make significant change. They also talked about Petey’s lack of commitment to a leadership role. 

Alvin will do everything in his power to keep Pettersson here. When it comes to Significant change, my thoughts are it will be in the system the play.

10 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Why do you think that about the Alien?  As for Linden; Like Pettersson, he was a fantastic player right from the get-go.  Don't forget,  Smyl was, or looked 

great in his early days on a team that actually played above it's self at times. 

Pettersson knows what he should be making and making when his next contract comes up, so does his agent.  Maybe some folks are worried simply because of that?

40 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Alvin will do everything in his power to keep Pettersson here. When it comes to Significant change, my thoughts are it will be in the system the play.

If this team crashes and burns, it might be time to shake up the core and find players who can make it work.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Can’t argue that. When a player says I don’t want to be captain, it’s fair and honest but also concerned 

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Why do you think that about the Alien?  As for Linden; Like Pettersson, he was a fantastic player right from the get-go.  Don't forget,  Smyl was, or looked 

great in his early days on a team that actually played above it's self at times. 

Pettersson knows what he should be making and making when his next contract comes up, so does his agent.  Maybe some folks are worried simply because of that?

His lack of desire to say, “I want to be a canuck and we’ll sort it out”. He’s been non committal. He will get paid here if he wants and his agent knows it, so his “wait and see” attitude is about “what team do I want to be on” Vs money imho. 

Edited by BlockerHigh

I am really encouraged and happy to see managment not committing to EP. This shows correct train of thought and strategic planning.

As a player you should be proud to play at ALL and feel privileged to get a chance to even play in the NHL as many players mention yet somehow it comes down to money?

Sorry but in Canada as Brian Burke mentions in his book people loath high paid athletes. Regardless of merit or not, we don't want to pay high and don't want them around.

If EP is asking for a dime over 10M get him out of here, I can compare it to managing your marketing budget as a entrepreneur like building a brand you rather spend money on several micro Influencers than to spend your marketing budget on one mega influencer because the ROI is far bettwen on 2 centers/winger combo which are priced at $5M each than one $10M player.

So happy managment isn't letting EP walk all over them.

Edited by CanucksRookieFan

2 minutes ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

I am really encouraged and happy to see managment not committing to EP. This shows correct train of thought and strategic planning.

As a player you should be proud to play at ALL and feel privileged to get a chance to even play in the NHL as many players mention yet somehow it comes down to money?

Sorry but in Canada as Brian Burke mentions in his book people loath high paid athletes. Regardless of merit or not, we don't want to pay high and don't want them around.

If EP is asking for a dime over 10M get him out of here, I can compare it to managing your marketing budget as a entrepreneur like building a brand you rather spend money on several micro Influencers than to spend your marketing budget on one mega influencer because the ROI is far bettwen on 2 centers/winger combo which are priced at $5M each than one $10M player.

So happy managment isn't letting EP walk all over them.

I agree with a litte of your post, but the reality is that EP's value, if he plays similarly to last year, is well over $10M. If you run a tight budget like that, you run into Eugene Melnyk issues. The Oilers in the late 80s ran into the same problem. Don't pay your stars? They all leave and you stop winning. Winning by committee instead of with superstars almost never happens. Best cases are random amazing runs ('82 Canucks etc) or expansion teams that have a ton of players break out with more ice time.

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I agree with a litte of your post, but the reality is that EP's value, if he plays similarly to last year, is well over $10M. If you run a tight budget like that, you run into Eugene Melnyk issues. The Oilers in the late 80s ran into the same problem. Don't pay your stars? They all leave and you stop winning. Winning by committee instead of with superstars almost never happens. Best cases are random amazing runs ('82 Canucks etc) or expansion teams that have a ton of players break out with more ice time.

I completely respect your point of view and your take on it but I also feel you don't need stars to win in modern NHL, Seattle is doing just fine for example.

I much rather not have over paid stars on the team and spread the budget evenly over budget wingers and centers I really hope that is what Canucks are also inclined to be doing.

This simply works well in business you take your earnings from the previous year and apply them to next budget to grow organically its steady and very budget minded growth. It 100% assures that no player will be paid too high and creates a sense of community and equality in the locker room. 

It also sends a message to the NHLPA not to mess with owners or to keep recommending or pushing for higher player salaries because teams will just walk out on their stars as Canucks are if you push them. I hate high earning people as I want an amazing life style too and heavily critic anyone who is perceived as highly paid it just grinds me like most people the wrong way.