Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

-AJ-

19 minutes ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

I completely respect your point of view and your take on it but I also feel you don't need stars to win in modern NHL, Seattle is doing just fine for example.

I much rather not have over paid stars on the team and spread the budget evenly over budget wingers and centers I really hope that is what Canucks are also inclined to be doing.

This simply works well in business you take your earnings from the previous year and apply them to next budget to grow organically its steady and very budget minded growth. It 100% assures that no player will be paid too high and creates a sense of community and equality in the locker room. 

It also sends a message to the NHLPA not to mess with owners or to keep recommending or pushing for higher player salaries because teams will just walk out on their stars as Canucks are if you push them. I hate high earning people as I want an amazing life style too and heavily critic anyone who is perceived as highly paid it just grinds me like most people the wrong way.

I think the Seattle example works only because they are an expansion team, and the same for Vegas. Guys are paid on modest deals because they haven't proven much, but when they suddenly get 1st line time, some blossom into stars, but are underpaid, since they got their contracts on earlier teams. I think those models don't work outside of expansion teams.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think the Seattle example works only because they are an expansion team, and the same for Vegas. Guys are paid on modest deals because they haven't proven much, but when they suddenly get 1st line time, some blossom into stars, but are underpaid, since they got their contracts on earlier teams. I think those models don't work outside of expansion teams.

I think Vegas is already realizing that you have to have a few highly paid superstars in order to win it all in this league; hence the pay scale of Eichel, Stone and Peterangelo compared to others on the team.

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think Vegas is already realizing that you have to have a few highly paid superstars in order to win it all in this league; hence the pay scale of Eichel, Stone and Peterangelo compared to others on the team.

Agreed, they're getting there now, and if Seattle continues their success, they'll have to do the same with guys like McCann, Dunn, or other superstars they trade for or sign.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think one of the reasons Vegas is successful is that even though they're paying for a few stars, they've also got a lot of guys on discount deals. Eichel, Stone, and Pietrangelo are the only 3 guys on their roster making more than 6M. In contrast, the Canucks have 5 guys over the 6M mark. It also helps they've been able to have a guy like McNabb under 3M his entire tenure with them.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

I think one of the reasons Vegas is successful is that even though they're paying for a few stars, they've also got a lot of guys on discount deals. Eichel, Stone, and Pietrangelo are the only 3 guys on their roster making more than 6M. In contrast, the Canucks have 5 guys over the 6M mark. It also helps they've been able to have a guy like McNabb under 3M his entire tenure with them.

While what you say is true; I don't expect is is going to last much longer. There only hope is for the cap to keep going up substantially for the next few years. In that, they may get lucky. They are in Vegas after all the home of the lucky or the broke.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I heard that. Obviously an intentional statement, implying he thinks 11m is the number.

I cannot disagree. I'd love for him to sign under that, but virtually all elite players are signing well into the 10's or more. Petey's gonna get paid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Love that you're still doing these, haha.

Thanks, I enjoy updating my stats and it's always cool to see who the current players are passing.  Whenever I update my spreadsheet close to after the game ends I will always post the "highest mover" up the Canuck all-time scoring list.  Gonna be a lot of Pettersson as he's the current Canuck with the most points.  Although after Ronning it's 14 pts to Sundstrom.

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Thanks, I enjoy updating my stats and it's always cool to see who the current players are passing.  Whenever I update my spreadsheet close to after the game ends I will always post the "highest mover" up the Canuck all-time scoring list.  Gonna be a lot of Pettersson as he's the current Canuck with the most points.  Although after Ronning it's 14 pts to Sundstrom.

Fun to see these young guys passing well-known Canuck players. Was always wild to me how high up the list Horvat was getting. Will feel crazy once Petey pushes into the top 15. I think Hughes is already pushing 10 top among defensemen or something like that.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Fun to see these young guys passing well-known Canuck players. Was always wild to me how high up the list Horvat was getting. Will feel crazy once Petey pushes into the top 15. I think Hughes is already pushing 10 top among defensemen or something like that.

Yep, Hughes is 6th in all-time defense scoring.  If Petey has another 100pt year he will push Horvat out of 10th by the end of the year.

Loved this man’s effort last night. Blessed with hockey IQ in abundance, raw and practiced skills but that hit on Ceci made me smile from ear to ear. If he’s worked himself into the 11 mil bracket or above ya just gotta play the man. Selky winner is in his future 

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, dannydog said:

Loved this man’s effort last night. Blessed with hockey IQ in abundance, raw and practiced skills but that hit on Ceci made me smile from ear to ear. If he’s worked himself into the 11 mil bracket or above ya just gotta play the man. Selky winner is in his future 

His favourite hockey player is Peter Forsberg (and that's just fine by me)😉

• Like 3

Pettersson is the highest mover again up the all-time Canuck scoring list, cracking the top 20.

19.  Patrik Sundstrom C 374 133 209 342
20.  Elias Pettersson C 327 137 192 329
21.  Cliff Ronning C 366 112 216 328
  • Like 2

Looks like Petey is becoming a bit like the Sedins - we'll just rotate all our lesser wingers around him. He gets to play with Kuzmenko but he's played with pretty much all the other guys now - Studnicka, Garland, Lafferty etc. It'll be good to get Mikheyev back and just plant him on our top line so he can grow some chemistry with his wingers a bit like our 2nd line has.

Even despite playing with essentially AHLers, he's leading the league right now. 6 points in 2 games and a healthy +/- to boot. 

I doubt he wins the Hart considering how Matthews is looking and also, it's not just the Petey show in Vancouver alone, but he's got to be the favourite for the Selke at this rate.

Sedins said the winger they always wanted to play with that they thought would compliment their game of skill was Mike Richards from the LA Kings. 

If Pettersson and Kuzmenko are our new 22 and 33, then maybe we should look at a player similar to what Richards brought. 

I wonder if Arshdeep Bains would be a similar type player? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Sedins said the winger they always wanted to play with that they thought would compliment their game of skill was Mike Richards from the LA Kings. 

If Pettersson and Kuzmenko are our new 22 and 33, then maybe we should look at a player similar to what Richards brought. 

I wonder if Arshdeep Bains would be a similar type player? 

Possibly.... In the meantime, try Lafferty there.  I think he had a shift or two with Petey...?

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 8:25 PM, Wilbur said:

Is there any chance, you could post the top 20?

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Is there any chance, you could post the top 20?

Pretty easy to find it on NHL.com. @Wilbur updates his career stats faster than NHL.com and also notes which players are the highest movers up. Here's the current stats of the top 20:

image.png

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1