Wrestling Talk

Canucks-12

• Canucks-12 changed the title to Wrestling Talk

I used to watch wrestling with my son...we got every ppv. Had go to Blockbuster, rent a box and pay like $80 for each big event. We were watching that awful event where Owen Hart descended from the ceiling...we weren't sure if it was real or part of the event then JR made the terrible announcement.

We went to Monday Night Raw when it was here in Vancouver long ago.

I also met my favourite....Bret Hart. 💗

I haven't followed wrestling for awhile but love the documentaries they've been showing lately on individual wrestlers. I've watched a few of them.

FTR...my grandma used to watch wrestling and thought it was all real.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

More of a fan back when Stone Cold, The Rock, Al Snow (and Head) and that group were in the WWF. And the actual wrestling wasn’t why we tuned in. It was more about the characters interacting. Lots of laughs. 
Is the show funny again? 

It’s getting back to that now, a lot more interactive. The Rock and Cena just showed back up into WWE the last few weeks.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

More of a fan back when Stone Cold, The Rock, Al Snow (and Head) and that group were in the WWF. And the actual wrestling wasn’t why we tuned in. It was more about the characters interacting. Lots of laughs. 
Is the show funny again? 

Me too, Alf.

Macho Man and Elizabeth, Jake the Snake, Mankind (have his book), Gold Dust, The Undertaker, etc. names I remember.

• Vintage 1

WWE is red hot rn. probably the hottest its ever been since the attitude era, with the rock and stone cold on top. it's kinda in a lul before survivor series but im following closely on the product. NXT is a great show and theres a lot of -autistic rambling-

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Me too, Alf.

Macho Man and Elizabeth, Jake the Snake, Mankind (have his book), Gold Dust, The Undertaker, etc. names I remember.

I think it was Vince McMahn who said without the character stories it’s just guys in tights wrestling. The characters the guys play are what makes the show. 

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Lol...it's been mainstream for 20 years at least.

No kidding, there used to be a saturday morning cartoon in the 80's. Dont get more mainstream than that. 

Anyway, this will be my only post in this thread. i just do not understand fake wrestling, unless you are a young child. 

Anyone remember a time when wrestling fans didn't believe that outcomes were predetermined. I had friends that would try to fight with me if I said it was fixed. After the truth came out. the narrative shifted to "Do you know how good of shape you have to be in to do those things?"

Me and my friends used to do all the wrestling moves. I used to be able to do the Rowdy Roddy Piper flop from standing position. My buddy used try to get people in the camel clutch. I don't know if he ever succeeded.

14 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Anyone remember a time when wrestling fans didn't believe that outcomes were predetermined. I had friends that would try to fight with me if I said it was fixed. After the truth came out. the narrative shifted to "Do you know how good of shape you have to be in to do those things?"

Me and my friends used to do all the wrestling moves. I used to be able to do the Rowdy Roddy Piper flop from standing position. My buddy used try to get people in the camel clutch. I don't know if he ever succeeded.

I think I won the neighbourhood fake belt with a camel clutch.

Was a great belt, made out of cardboard.

I was 10 I think. Then found out wwf was fake and grew out of watching it. I remember Vince having to admit that it was fake for insurance reasons. They really were trying to push that it was 'real' in the 80's. 

Just recently on the old site, someone was trying to tell me it was still a 'Sport' 

• ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

What I always hated hearing from non-fans was we supposedly don’t know it’s predetermined and then they act all high and mighty. It’s like, dude, we know it’s entertainment, just like anything you watch on tv. You’re not better than me or vice versa. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

What I always hated hearing from non-fans was we supposedly don’t know it’s predetermined and then they act all high and mighty. It’s like, dude, we know it’s entertainment, just like anything you watch on tv. You’re not better than me or vice versa. 

I'm talking about actual friends of mine who didn't believe it. I didn't go around accusing wrestling fans of being delusional. Some of them just were.

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think I won the neighbourhood fake belt with a camel clutch.

Was a great belt, made out of cardboard.

I was 10 I think. Then found out wwf was fake and grew out of watching it. I remember Vince having to admit that it was fake for insurance reasons. They really were trying to push that it was 'real' in the 80's. 

Just recently on the old site, someone was trying to tell me it was still a 'Sport' 

It’s not a sport sport but it’s sports entertainment. The wrestlers are still athletes. It’s a form of art. 

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, so I understand your opinion. But if you’re into It then you love it. 

• Upvote 1