For Rockers Ravers Lovers and Sinners. the alt/indie/punk discussion thread

PUNK and Indie discussion from another thread spurred this thread idea. I will kick off with Theater of Hate...

These post punkers are cited as influential by so many of my favourite 80s and 90s bands that although I have not seen the band play live (I have seen former members play in different bands from the 80s to the 2020's) just figured they should kick off the discussion with one of their standouts..thread is meant for a place to discuss indie touring/smaller labels and all things punk/indie/postpunk/alternative. Hope you enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

I'm reluctant to participate in this thread for fear of being identified. Haha. 

But I'll certainly enjoy reading what others have to share. 

Hung? I haven't seen you since the dayglo's walked by and heard you playing beside me with you hat out on the sidewalk...(if my guess is right), and you played with them later that week at the meatlocker.

• Like 1

@bishopshodan

In relation to your comment in the other thread about Fat Wreck Chords and Mike Burkett in regards to a one record deal 

" Music written from devotion 

Not ambition

Not for fame 

Zero people are exploited 

There are no tricks up our sleeve 

We're going to fight against the mass appeal

We're gonna kill the seven record deal 

Make records that have more than one good song "

• Upvote 1

@D.B Cooper 

I didn't realise that Propaghandi and Fat Mike had a " feud " going on there a while back 

Both sides have their say 

https://www.punknews.org/article/8664/fat-mike-propagandhi-clarify-situation-updated

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/propagandhis_chris_hannah_challenges_nofxs_fat_mike_to_meet_me_in_octagon

Love Chris Hannah's response. 

Two messed up clowns in the Octagon getting it on.

Also I take Mikes point that the " internet " blew the whole thing up. 

Also admire how Mike acknowledged the Crap Soros has done but he has also given shitloads of his money away.

Like Mike said, that might be his conscience " at work "

21 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Hung? I haven't seen you since the dayglo's walked by and heard you playing beside me with you hat out on the sidewalk...(if my guess is right), and you played with them later that week at the meatlocker.

Not quite. I was more original six era of the genre -- late seventies, early eighties. Funny your thread made me realize I'd subconsciously returned to the look I had in those days. 

• chaos 1

10 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

Not quite. I was more original six era of the genre -- late seventies, early eighties. Funny your thread made me realize I'd subconsciously returned to the look I had in those days. 

In Vancouver?  I wonder if we know each other.

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

In Vancouver?  I wonder if we know each other.

Yes in Vancouver. I've seen some posts in the what you're listening to thread that made me wonder the same thing, though I don't remember who posted them. 

33 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

Yes in Vancouver. I've seen some posts in the what you're listening to thread that made me wonder the same thing, though I don't remember who posted them. 

Cool.  I was just wondering as it seemed likely.   Those were the days.   No need to reveal our secret identities though.  Besides in my case there would be so many people saying 'Who?'.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Inkidu said:

I had a green goatie and purple dreads on a scandinavian white face. in, i wanna say 93ish when the Dayglo's picked up my buddy from busking to be their new guitarist. We had just bought some weed off our dealer, not ironically nicknamed Dirty, turned out it was laced with angle dust. The show at the meatlocker was off the rails.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Cool.  I was just wondering as it seemed likely.   Those were the days.   No need to reveal our secret identities though.  Besides in my case there would be so many people saying 'Who?'.

I have no connection to the genre at all, other than a fan of some better known punk and post punk groups except my one and only foray into a house party in Vancouver was an abandoned 2 story with boarded up windows. You had to climb a tree and shinny out on a thick limb to get into the pry'd open window plywood opening... and Beth Torbert was singing a few songs with a band set up in the basement. I don't remember too much but she is now better known as Biff Naked.

• Like 1

My wife, then gf, had a gf who was a twin, beca and jecca's brother played in a lot of Vancouver Island bands...i am pretty sure this was one of them. Loose and Joose were two others. Victoria music scene, early 90's. OH yeah, the twins played horns in this ska band. My memory is fuzzy on account of the beer foam and bong water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

My wife, then gf, had a gf who was a twin, beca and jecca's brother played in a lot of Vancouver Island bands...i am pretty sure this was one of them. Loose and Joose were two others. Victoria music scene, early 90's. OH yeah, the twins played horns in this ska band. My memory is fuzzy on account of the beer foam and bong water.

Brother you should have been there when we went to both the Dead Kennedys gigs back in 83.

The first one at Monash Uni was awesome, no BS, great gig.

The second one at the Seaview Ballroom was completely different.

We usually dressed in east coast jeans, " wife beaters " -sleeveless t-shirts- and Runners

We had short hair cuts so dudes we would fight couldn't grap our hair and ram our heads into their knees.

Common street fighting tactic.

Most night clubs in Melbourne required a " better " form of dress, a collared shirt and nice shoes.

So when we went into Melbourne we wore a miller shirt and dessert boots and the same east coast jeans, they were pretty " trendy".

Gotta think about the girls.

Any way once we got inside, and the bouncers kinda gave us strange looks, the place was full of dudes dressed in leather and metal everywhere, full on punk haircuts, coloured hair, we stood out like dogs balls.

The punks went berserk when they saw us and piled on, big mistake for them, we lived for that shit, we just circled up and beat the shit outta a bunch of them until the bouncers broke it up.

The bouncers didn't hassle us, they saw what went down and probably didn't want to deal with us unless they had to.

That ended up being another great gig in the end.

• chaos 1