Maple Leafs captain John Tavares in $8M fight with CRA: Report

Toronto Maple Leafs captain John Tavares isn’t one to drop the gloves very often on the ice, but it looks like he’ll be doing so in court.

Article content

Tavares reportedly is taking on the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in a dispute over more than $8 million in taxes and interest that the government says he owes.

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/tavares-in-8-million-fight-with-cra/wcm/1aaf48de-b719-47a1-a80b-6f0a82245152

• Haha 2

I had a lengthy discussion on this in the Pettersson contract talks thread (I didn't realize this had it's own topic). If anyone want to see it or if mods want to move those messages to this topic.

• Like 1

I actually do hope Tavares wins this case. This trial strikes me as having important implications when it comes to contracts and signing bonuses and would give Canadian teams a severe disadvantage in negotiating future contracts with players if Tavares loses.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My son works for the CRA.  You have no idea what you are talking about.

I didn't mean to imply anything other than they could be potentially overwhelmed by what a big hockey agency could bring to the table in terms of manpower. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The CRA is so rife with incompetence, no wonder Tavares is taking them to court. Good luck, as those creeps have deep pockets, those being the public's pockets 

This is like the complete opposite of what just about anyone working for one of the big four accounting firms will tell you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My son works for the CRA.  You have no idea what you are talking about.

I could care less where your son works. I know people who work there presently and know people who’ve had to deal with CRA’’s fuck ups. I trust their word far more than yours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I could care less where your son works. I know people who work there presently and know people who’ve had to deal with CRA’’s fuck ups. I trust their word far more than yours. 

And I could not give a shit about "the people you know who work there".  They can only do so much with the resources they are given.  99% of the people who work there would like to solve every problem but are handcuffed by management.  And it will get worse if PP cuts staff.

If you want to talk about a horror show Worksafe BC is a joke.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I have to deal with CRA on regular basis for the past 20 years, and I can tell you for free, that quality of service is getting worse every year.

Because  they don't train people properly and give them the tools to do their job.  No matter what party is in Government.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1

I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes, provided we get services with those tax dollars. What I don't like is people who want to weasel out on paying their fair share.

Places like Norway, Sweden, Finland pay high taxes. But they get medical, post secondary education, daycare and more services than what we pay. Maybe we should have a look and see how they are doing that.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes, provided we get services with those tax dollars. What I don't like is people who want to weasel out on paying their fair share.

Places like Norway, Sweden, Finland pay high taxes. But they get medical, post secondary education, daycare and more services than what we pay. Maybe we should have a look and see how they are doing that.

My son is actually in collections.  He is not allowed to give me details except people try and hide their money instead of paying.  He is also allowed to write off small debt for people who are really struggling and are being honest.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That wasn't meant for you.  Cheers.

Good.

One of the things I used to do was SR&ED tax credit documentation prep, and the big consulting companies we competed against would just overwhelm CRA with info to try to get away with scamming that program. So I've seen how in one instance how they don't have the resources to keep up.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Tax the rich, I hope the CRA throws the book at him 

I don't feel bad for the wealthy 

CRA is like most of our large organizations. You'll find great, knowledgeable people who will go out of their way to help you. You'll also find people doing the bare minimum to not get fired. You'll find people trying to 'get' you who think everyone is a tax cheat, and you'll find very fair people trying to make sure taxes are done right.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1