'I felt lost': Flames' Oliver Kylington sheds light on his mental-health battle

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/i-felt-lost-flames-oliver-kylington-sheds-light-on-his-mental-health-battle/

NEW YORK — The story behind Oliver Kylington’s year-and-a-half battle back to the NHL is one of trauma and betrayal.

And it will be told.

When he’s ready. 

And while he’s not there yet, in a quiet, one-on-one chat he offered up a glimpse of where he was during the depths of a mental health break that saw him miss last season and the first half of this one.

“I felt confused because there was a big betrayal — that’s how everything was,” said the soft-spoken Calgary Flames defenceman.

“I felt lost. I felt that I didn't trust anyone, really.”

It was two summers ago when Kylington knew he needed help, and got plenty of it to pull him through a period in which he openly admitted he wasn’t sure he’d ever return to hockey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

There were times in my youth and young adult days that I felt like that.  Fortunately, I had a good support base and eventually the dark days passed.  Sometimes depression happens, even when things are going well.

• Upvote 1