Your personal top 5 trade deadline F and D hopefuls.

Just a for fun "I WANT THEM!" discussion. Who are your personal top 5 forward and defensive players you would like to see added to the roster by the deadline?

You can make it as realistic or fantastical as you'd like, but I feel the latter would bring less discussion. Anyways, happy Tuesday!

Forwards:
1. Guentzel
2. Mittelstadt
3. Vatrano
4. Novak
5. B. Tanev

Defense:
1. Tanev
2. Fabbro
3. Walker
4. Carrier
5. Dumba

Vatrano is the perfect fit on Miller's line. Let me re-emphasize this. VATRANO IS PERFECT FOR THE MILLER LINE.

If you haven't watched him play, he's basically Miller. Pesky, hits, blocks, plays shorthanded, can snipe on the PP, and plays with an edge. He's a hell of a player on a cheap contract. 

Vatrano-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Lindholm

Best top 6 in the league, don't @ me. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The Tanev bro's would bring everything we need as complimentary guys.

I don't see how a guy who targeted a 5 foot 7 player and lost a fight to him, does anything to help this team. B Tanev looks like he does a lot on the ice, but doesn't really accomplish much shift to shift. I'd much rather have Lafferty, Aman, DGP, Karlsson on the ice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I don't see how a guy who targeted a 5 foot 7 player and lost a fight to him, does anything to help this team. B Tanev looks like he does a lot on the ice, but doesn't really accomplish much shift to shift. I'd much rather have Lafferty, Aman, DGP, Karlsson on the ice. 

Brandon has a great motor and would be a perfect fit, not sure what you're seeing. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Brandon has a great motor and would be a perfect fit, not sure what you're seeing. 

His skating is choppy so it makes it look like he does a lot, but he does almost nothing for 3.5 million. Great, we'll get his 2 hits a game, but also pick up his offensive black hole.

Not only is he injury prone, but he can't even battle it out properly against one of the smallest guys in the league. He will be the farthest thing from a deterrent on our team while we try to actually make a playoff push. I honestly don't see how he pushes any player off of our roster, and at 3.5 mil, you can't have him be the 13th forward. 

• Haha 1

How about this:

TO CGY: Mikheyev + 1st + Raty + Myers + Podkolzin + 2nd

TO VAN: Hanifin + Mangiapane

Mangiapane - Miller - Boeser

Lindholm - Pettersson - Hoglander

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Bains

PDG

Aman

Hughes - Hronek

Hanifin - Cole

Soucy - Zadorov

Juulsen

19 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

His skating is choppy so it makes it look like he does a lot, but he does almost nothing for 3.5 million. Great, we'll get his 2 hits a game, but also pick up his offensive black hole.

Not only is he injury prone, but he can't even battle it out properly against one of the smallest guys in the league. He will be the farthest thing from a deterrent on our team while we try to actually make a playoff push. I honestly don't see how he pushes any player off of our roster, and at 3.5 mil, you can't have him be the 13th forward. 

Huh. I think the Seattle fan base would disagree.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

How about this:

TO CGY: Mikheyev + 1st + Raty + Myers + Podkolzin + 2nd

TO VAN: Hanifin + Mangiapane

Mangiapane - Miller - Boeser

Lindholm - Pettersson - Hoglander

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Bains

PDG

Aman

Hughes - Hronek

Hanifin - Cole

Soucy - Zadorov

Juulsen

All Canadian teams are on Hanifin NTC 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Huh. I think the Seattle fan base would disagree.

Seattle fans can't even admit that Tanev embarrassed himself in his fight against Garland. They're new to the game and have no idea what an effective bottom 6 player should actually do. Skating around doing nothing, but really fast, isn't really something a good team needs. He is a non factor making 3.5 million dollars running around targeting the smallest players. Hard pass.

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

I says "Pardon?"

Who got their face cut in the only landed punch in the entire fight? I'll wait for your response. Tanev is a laughing stock right now on social media. He targeted the smallest player in the league, took a bad run at him, fought him and ended up cut. Keep him as far away from our team as possible, he's a joke. 

I'd say any team we deal with will have to include a cap dump (most likely Mikheyev or Myers at this point). If it's Mik then we can improve our top 6 with a rental. If it's Myers then it's just a trade to replace which won't leave much in the trade value to add up top unless there's a third party involved. (NOTE: Keeping the 3rd line together)

The only teams with any significant cap space are BUF & CBJ out East and ARI, NSH, CHI & ANA out west. So who has a potential top 6 F on a rental basis?

BUF - Olofsson

CBJ - No top 6 available

ARI - Zucker (he's been linked to us before)

NSH - No top 6 available

CHI - Johnson

ANA - Henrique

So would we be happy if it was Mikheyev OUT, and any of those 4 rentals IN? Each brings a unique aspect to the Top 6 (Olofsson can snipe, Zucker is a mucker, Johnson a slick playmaker and Henrique is a veteran presence and FO guy) so what would either top line need (and that of course means shuffling Hogs to the other line if needed).

I would suggest that Petey's line would benefit from Olofsson or Zucker, whereas JT's line would benefit from Johnson or Henrique...but I also think that Petey's line benefits the most with Hoglander (Pettersson between Hogs and Lindy) so then that would mean a move for JT's line (Miller between Boeser and Johnson/Henrique)...of the 2 I think I'd rather have Henrique.

So...short story long: Mikheyev to ANA for Henrique

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Seattle fans can't even admit that Tanev embarrassed himself in his fight against Garland. They're new to the game and have no idea what an effective bottom 6 player should actually do. Skating around doing nothing, but really fast, isn't really something a good team needs. He is a non factor making 3.5 million dollars running around targeting the smallest players. Hard pass.

I believe we've reached what the kids call an agree to disagree moment 😁

which is fine, I don't think Seattle would be looking to move BT.

• Cheers 1

High impact but not super realistic targets unless Pete's days as a canuck are numbered. 

Tom Wilson: contract doesn't look great maybe that brings his price down. I don't want to face Tom in the PO's. He lands predetory hits against stars if he buries Huggy in the corner any retaliation from us would look like PDG going after Lowry. He plays top 6 and can score he isn't having a great year offensively but his linemates Strome and Ovi aren't exactly lighting it up either. Play him with Pete and watch his PPG double. 

Guentzel: Playoff performer, racks up primary assists, plays fast paced. I think the cost will be R word and I'm not sure how far he pushes the needle we don't need to play games 6-5 when winning 2-1 will do. If the price is right maybe?

Giroux IMO would be the best all round high impact guy we could add. He's got a year left though so that means one of Pete, Lindy, Zadorov won't be back. Right handed C down the middle we would be stacked. If Pete's got a foot out the door Giroux + Lindholm would be good insurance.  

None of those guys will be coming here because Pete is going to remain a Canuck.

The guys we should really be after. 

Beck Malenstyn 

image.thumb.png.c5090134ac4f4faba50c62bd6558e3af.png

Cal Clutterbuck

image.thumb.png.6d569b798279795e291637edabd204b5.png

Brandon Duhaime

image.thumb.png.2aefdcfb9b90b5830568dbcda7826f44.png

One of these guys is exactly what the doctor ordered. We don't need D. As much as I love Tanev and it would hit me in the feels if we got him. We aren't a passive team Tanev is an umbrella in a storm. We are the storm. 

Hanifin Tanev  Goals% 56.9%

Cole Juulson Goals%  61.1%

Zadorov Myers Goals% 56.3%

So as much as Tanev is a beauty and never should have been let go. He is gone. If we want to bring him back we can do so in the offseason which is the only course of action that makes sense to me. Other teams will pay the 1st for him as a rental we shouldn't. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Who got their face cut in the only landed punch in the entire fight? I'll wait for your response. Tanev is a laughing stock right now on social media. He targeted the smallest player in the league, took a bad run at him, fought him and ended up cut. Keep him as far away from our team as possible, he's a joke. 

Yep- he fought a smaller guy- but won, as he should.

The sad part was nobody on the nucks did a f'in thing about it.

Forwards: 

Eberle (scoring touch plus can move down)

Sillinger (scoring potential, can play lower)

TJ Oshie (pipe dream but he always brings it and only a year left)

Wilson (i hate him, but sometimes you must embrace the tools of your enemy, plus he's pretty)

Defence:

Tanev

Salo on nyi (just for name, with tanev and soucy we're set)

Edited by OldFaithfulcap

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Yep- he fought a smaller guy- but won, as he should.

The sad part was nobody on the nucks did a f'in thing about it.

How do you win a fight when you connect 0 punches, receive 1 punch and end up with blood on your face?

The fight was Brandon Tanev in a nutshell. High energy, looks like he's doing a lot, but ultimately doing nothing.