Your personal top 5 trade deadline F and D hopefuls.

Marcus Petterson. I don't really have five of each, i like the club at the moment, and I think we have 3 or 4 guys in the minors/[prospects area that will be amazing players when they get here. I really just want one more upgrade on D please. 

I think Chris Tanev is exactly what this team needs. Hughes and Hronek are showing signs of wear and tear and making mistakes all over the ice now. Cole and Myers are our 2nd pairing shutdown unit and they look slow and sloppy at times, of course enough has been said about Myers. Zadorov has some massive games like against Boston but then can look very average and takes so many dumb penalties. Juulsen is a brilliant 7th guy but he's looking exposed out there too with more minutes. Sure, it'll be nice when Soucy comes back but he's far from a saviour for our D.

As good and deep and tough as our defence is, it has it's weaknesses, and with Hughes and Hronek looking a bit more human now, those weaknesses are being exploited by other teams, especially those who put pressure and a good forecheck on Cole and Myers.

You slot Tanev into that 2nd pairing RD spot to play 19-20 minutes and that trickle-down effect is huge. We can play Zadorov (who might have some chemistry from Calgary) or Cole (more of a shutdown unit) with Tanev on the 2nd pairing and can play them more than we do Myers. That takes a load off Hronek who has made some bad mistakes these last few games. Myers drops down to a 17-18 minute 3RD spot with Zadorov and they can just focus on other team's 2nd and 3rd lines instead of their top lines.

At this rate I'd give up a 2nd + prospect (honestly even Podkolzin) for Tanev. A 1st is very tempting.

I get why everyone's screaming for another forward but we have more All-star forwards than pretty much any other team. This team was built and had success on solid defence through Tocchet's system, and that's how teams win in the playoffs. Don't go out and get a flashy 20-30 goal scoring winger if we can't defend well. These 10-7 games will be a thing of the past, we need to prove that we can win 2-1 games again which we haven't done in a long time. We just spent so much on another team's top line center, that should be enough prioritisation for up front. All we've really done all year is spend some late picks on Zadorov to bolster the blueline and with Soucy constantly injured, we've seen the weaknesses there. More importantly, I worry about the longevity of this defence. Hughes is showing signs of slowing down at game 60. Hronek is buckling already. Cole and Myers are old so who knows how good or slow they'll look in another 20-30 games time. They need some support desperately and Tanev makes a lot of sense right now.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy

Juulsen

That's a defence which will go a long way in the playoffs.

Trying not to spend all our draft capital and prospects.

Forwards: Novak, Duclair, Kerfoot, Nosek and Duhaime

Defence: Lyubushkin, Dumba

defence is a little harder because you want to fill the right side but looking at what’s available it’s either going to cost too much or is it really an upgrade on what you got.

I mean in a dream world give me Guentzal and Adam Larsson but I want to have something in terms of prospects and picks in the next 3 years lol.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Cheers 1

Given I don't want to see us give up any more futures of value (high value prospects or high picks), my view is depth only that at most you're giving up seconds or thirds at the highest.

Jordan Greenway (big and physical 3/4 liner)

Sam Carick  (big and fast 4th liner and can play center)

Ilya Lybushkin (physical RD)

Erik Johnson (physical depth D)

Well since my idea is blown to hell (Mik for Henrique) I'm gonna say the best 2 players we can get for the playoffs are Soucy and Joshua...and we get to keep all our picks and prospects. This team with those 2 in the lineup is the best team in the NHL...I think better than Florida. No coincidence that we fell off the pace a bit when those 2 were out of the lineup. Add them back in and we're full blown on a race horse heading for the finish line. We got Soucy, now let's get DJ back and finish strong.

• Cheers 1