(Proposal) the slightly irrational but maybe realistic blockbuster we need

This is going to come off as irrational and is highly unlikely, but ever since the Duhaime rumor this has been my dream trade idea if Minnesota is a seller, or some extension of this trade proposal. 

To Van: 

Brandon Duhaime

Jake Middleton

Joel Eriksson Ek

To Minnesota: 

Elias Lindholm

Ian Cole - some retention if needed

Akito Hirose

Vasili Podkolzin

Why this works: 

For Minnesota: The biggest issue Minnesota faces is being a middle of the road team with absolutely no cap space, but also having a good young core mixed with some aging veterans at their twilight. This trade gives them significant cap flexibility for the offseason. They can give Lindholm a try and see if he’s a fit, and if not, they have wiggle room to work with. Besides two pending UFA players, they get Hirose who just seems like he will struggle to make our roster full time with our left side depth of Hughes, Zadorov (if we keep him), Soucy, and possibly the likes of Wolanin and Brisebois. Podkolzin is going to be tough to move out to swallow but has not established a presence in the Canucks lineup in two stints. There’s still potential and he is having a nice year and he fits well with the age group of Minnesota’s young core of Rossi, Boldy, and Faber. 

For Vancouver: This move gives us two things we need. 1. Long term stability at the 2C position. Eriksson Ek is a similar age to most of our core on a friendly contract that we can manage. Lindholm has been a bad fit for us in his short stint but we can still salvage it before he leaves for nothing in the offseason. 2. This will give us grit and physicality. All 3 additions are over 100 hits this season and play with an edge. Duhaime is a great add to our bottom 6 to really help on a playoff run. Eriksson Ek provides long term stability at a major position of need. Middleton provides a cost effective gritty upgrade to Cole and also gives us what Zadorov provides if we can’t retain him beyond this year. 

Losing  Podkolzin would be tough but the potential of our top 6 with the addition of Lekkerimaki next year or the year after looks really good:

Petey - Miller - Lekkerimaki

Hoglander - Eriksson Ek - Boeser

This benefits us short term and long term. Obviously I’d anticipate moving out Mikheyev at the draft or sooner for more cap space to ensure we keep Petey and Hronek and give ourselves a shot at keeping Zadorov, Dak, and the others. And Zadorov can play the right side worst case. I feel like the value is good in this deal. We pay a premium for a good playoff roster and Minnesota pays a premium for cap space and a potential core player. I feel both teams win. 

so basically just give them podkolzin and they'll give you all those?? coz lindholm have 0 value to minnesota as he's a rental to a contender.. and minnesota is not even a playoff contender.. unlikely lindholm even signs there... so they lose out on ek and all they get out of it is podkolzin? if minnesota is selling.. they want players with terms and prospect.. not pending ufa with no value unless you think they will trade for lindholm and then flip him again.. i dunno how many players you see traded 3 times within the same season to 4 different teams.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Eriksson EK arguably has the best value contract in the league. 

He's the heart and soul of Minnesota.

No way the Wild give him up for that package.  

I think Joel Eriksson Ek is one of the cheapest 1st line centres in the NHL right now.  Can't think of too many others.  Boone Jenner?  Ryan O'Reilly?  Hehe - Elias Lindholm!??

@CanucksFan26 This is an extremely poor return for Minnesota.  Think of it this way - do you think Lindholm would accept a long-term $5M AAV contract?  Because I can't think of a player on that Wild team that offers more cap flexibility than Eriksson Ek.  He's already a fantastic fit on that team, so getting rid of him (for such a pitiful return) is absolute insanity.  Add two first round picks and the trade still makes zero sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think Joel Eriksson Ek is one of the cheapest 1st line centres in the NHL right now.  Can't think of too many others.  Boone Jenner?  Ryan O'Reilly?  Hehe - Elias Lindholm!??

@CanucksFan26 This is an extremely poor return for Minnesota.  Think of it this way - do you think Lindholm would accept a long-term $5M AAV contract?  Because I can't think of a player on that Wild team that offers more cap flexibility than Eriksson Ek.  He's already a fantastic fit on that team, so getting rid of him (for such a pitiful return) is absolute insanity.  Add two first round picks and the trade still makes zero sense.

You're correct.

It's why I always cringe when posters on here make proposals involving guys like Eriksson EK or Jack Hughes.  

In the cap world, it's not necessarily about getting the best player.  It's more about which player brings the most 'bang for the buck' so to speak.  

Semi-related note; Petey's not worth $12 million in my opinion.   I know the advanced stats point to the fact that he's a bus driver (atleast to a large extent), but the eye test for me says otherwise.  Petey's a very very good player but he's not McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon category.   

Should be an interesting few days......

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

You're correct.

It's why I always cringe when posters on here make proposals involving guys like Eriksson EK or Jack Hughes.  

In the cap world, it's not necessarily about getting the best player.  It's more about which player brings the most 'bang for the buck' so to speak.  

Semi-related note; Petey's not worth $12 million in my opinion.   I know the advanced stats point to the fact that he's a bus driver (atleast to a large extent), but the eye test for me says otherwise.  Petey's a very very good player but he's not McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon category.   

Should be an interesting few days......

Hey!  You're one to talk!  You make a proposal almost daily and some of them are batshit crazy!  It's like... trying to write a song each day.

• Haha 2

Ek is one of the best players in the league on a cheap contract, you don't move players like him sadly. This Duhaime hype is a bit silly, watch him come in and play 9 minutes a night on our 4th line.

If we want a forward, we want a 20ish goal scoring strong forward. Pittsburgh are full of them - Rust, Reilly or even Rakell. There's a deal to be made there.

I have always liked Lindholm but Ericksson- Ek was my first choice and I would have given more to get him. He fits our team better, has term and could grow with our team for more years. He also fits better with the plan I thought we were going with by management.

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I think my thought process is that cap flexibility will help them with filling in the gaps with Fleury being a pending UFA and some other gals they need to figure out. Seeing the responses from everyone I guess maybe I undervalued it but it’s hard to find a good proposal. That’s why I’m not a gm! Fun to dream though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

How about:

TO MIN: Pettersson

TO VAN: Eriksson Ek + Middleton + 1st + Duhaime

If Petey won’t sign long term I don’t think that’s an awful deal, however, I want an elite young player as the centerpiece if Petey moves. 3 veterans and a mid 1st for a superstar 25 year old isn’t a great return. Now if Rossi or Boldy is a centerpiece, I’m listening.