[Report] Hurricanes Sign Max Comtois

Hurricanes Sign Max Comtois

March 4th, 2024 at 8:41pm CST • By Brian La Rose

With the trade deadline coming up, some teams will be converting players on AHL deals to NHL ones to make them eligible to play down the stretch.  The Hurricanes are the latest to do so as they announced that they’ve signed winger Max Comtois to a one-year, two-way contract.  The deal will pay $775K in the NHL and $250K in the minors.  GM Don Waddell released the following statement on the signing:

Max is a physical forward with lots of NHL games under his belt. His experience at this level will add to our organizational depth at that position.

The 25-year-old played with Vegas in the preseason but didn’t lock down a spot with them.  Instead, he signed with AHL Chicago in mid-October, Carolina’s old farm team.  He has fared relatively well down there, notching 12 goals and 16 assists along with 97 penalty minutes in 45 games with the Wolves in his first taste of AHL action since the 2018-19 season.

Comtois has played in 210 career NHL games, all with Anaheim who drafted him 50th overall back in 2017.  He had 19 points in 64 games with them last season but was non-tendered as the team elected not to give him a $2.445MM qualifying offer.  Now, he’ll look to get an opportunity with Carolina down the stretch in the hopes of securing a full-time NHL agreement for next season.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/hurricanes-sign-max-comtois.html#ref=home

Just now, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Why did we not do this?!  Exactly the kind of bottom 6 depth we could use for the playoffs, at no-risk.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how this pans out for the Canes.

Totally agree. I realize we want to retain all cap space for any deadline acquisitions, but Comtois would have always been a great depth option for us and Abby. Was hoping we were looking at him back in offseason. oh well 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Why did we not do this?!  Exactly the kind of bottom 6 depth we could use for the playoffs, at no-risk.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how this pans out for the Canes.

Phil the Thrill baby!

• Like 2

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

He was part of the 2018 WJC team. I figured him not being signed by anyone after not being qualified was related to that. 

and he's not part of the group that's charged.. should have done their due dilegence and could have signed the guy by now

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and he's not part of the group that's charged.. should have done their due dilegence and could have signed the guy by now

There were eight people in the room and only five charged. I’m just saying I see one possible reason teams were apprehensive about signing him. It’s hard to fault our management on this non signing - there are 31 other teams that didn’t sign him as well. We haven’t event seen his play and his AHL numbers have been less impressive than some of our own prospects. I guess I just don’t feel like we missed out. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

There were eight people in the room and only five charged. I’m just saying I see one possible reason teams were apprehensive about signing him. It’s hard to fault our management on this non signing - there are 31 other teams that didn’t sign him as well. We haven’t event seen his play and his AHL numbers have been less impressive than some of our own prospects. I guess I just don’t feel like we missed out. 

a guy that doesn't cost anything on the cap or a roster spot on a 2 way deal with decent amount of nhl experience.. it's free depth for a team that lacks depth with nhl experience. so unless you are saying the carolina or nhl didn't do their due dilegence.. nhl would have told carolina to stay away and not approve the signing.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

a guy that doesn't cost anything on the cap or a roster spot on a 2 way deal with decent amount of nhl experience.. it's free depth for a team that lacks depth with nhl experience. so unless you are saying the carolina or nhl didn't do their due dilegence.. nhl would have told carolina to stay away and not approve the signing.

He has speed size and hits too. I agree that he might have been a nice add. Like I said, would be useful as depth or to the roster in Abby. 

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

we didn’t miss out.

but he’s the type of grit player with skill that could have possibly lended himself well in an RT styled system in the NHL or A. Look what it’s done for Joshua who is a similar type player. Oh well, like some say we have comps already. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, RWJC said:

we didn’t miss out.

but he’s the type of grit player with skill that could have possibly lended himself well in an RT styled system in the NHL or A. Look what it’s done for Joshua who is a similar type player. Oh well, like some say we have comps already. 

As long as we can bring in another forward or two like him, to support our smaller, skilled forwards once the going gets rough in the playoffs, we'll be alright.  If we can't easily find someone like this, then that's when mgmt may regret not taking a flyer on Comtois.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There’s a reason why nobody signed him till March.

Not every player is an upgrade. 😂

We have better players than him.

He’s gotta be better than PDG or Aman.

17 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

If you want him, convince Allvin to get him.  Max Comtois has just been placed on waivers an hour ago.