The Earth is flat.

The Earth is flat?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth flat?

• Yes
    • No

I do wonder how many people today could actually prove the Earth is a sphere, just working from the ground up on experiments.

Appealing to experts isn't stupid, but there must be a lot of people who insult flat-Earthers without actually understanding the whats and hows of why they're wrong.

2 minutes ago, 112 said:

I do wonder how many people today could actually prove the Earth is a sphere, just working from the ground up on experiments.

Appealing to experts isn't stupid, but there must be a lot of people who insult flat-Earthers without actually understanding the whats and hows of why they're wrong.

its not difficult. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html

The flat earthers know they are wrong, but the pull to be part of a counter-something group is too strong in them. Or maybe they really are just morons, someone has to be. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

its not difficult. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html

The flat earthers know they are wrong, but the pull to be part of a counter-something group is too strong in them. Or maybe they really are just morons, someone has to be. 

yeah I'm familiar with the shadow proof. I just don't think a lot of people would consider that idea without knowing it was done before.

iirc--and I could be wrong here--the flat Earther stuff came about from people trying to improve their logic, math and argumentation by supporting an erroneous position, and only after a while did people start taking the position seriously, missing the point of the exercises.

1 minute ago, 112 said:

yeah I'm familiar with the shadow proof. I just don't think a lot of people would consider that idea without knowing it was done before.

iirc--and I could be wrong here--the flat Earther stuff came about from people trying to improve their logic, math and argumentation by supporting an erroneous position, and only after a while did people start taking the position seriously, missing the point of the exercises.

I think its the online equivalent of the folks that have to touch a hot stove or put their tongue on a frozen light pole. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I always thought the flat earth groups were for click bait and no one actually believed it but I was bored and read some of the replies and I guess it really shouldn't surprise me that some people really do believe it, seems to be a more of a religious thing though and taking the bible too literally.

• ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think its the online equivalent of the folks that have to touch a hot stove or put their tongue on a frozen light pole. 

That was tide pods, this is more of a lifestyle.

• Haha 1

If the earth is truly flat, wouldn't you sail off the fuckin edge? Unless someone out there is saying that the earth is flat and double sided like a piece of lined paper.

2 hours ago, gwarrior said:

If the earth is truly flat, wouldn't you sail off the fuckin edge? Unless someone out there is saying that the earth is flat and double sided like a piece of lined paper.

There’s an ice wall around the entire edge to prevent that, don’t you know anything?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

There’s an ice wall around the entire edge to prevent that, don’t you know anything?

Clearly I don't. Guess I'm too busy trying to be in a good place, and being the guy I need to be, and everyone needs me to be to worry about this minute bullshit🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Those flat earth people need to hold a convention in that Sphere in Vegas.

It would be hard to get them all together, they have members all around the globe.

• Haha 2
  • chaos 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 9:12 AM, 112 said:

Actually quite easy;

Go to the top of a tall building, if the earth was flat you'd see the same distance, if it's round you see further.

Grab a friend somewhere else on earth and observe the shadows.

Watch a sunset, when the sun vanishes quickly go up a hill and watch it set again.

Watch a ship disappear from bottom up as it sails out to sea.

Watch a lunar eclipse.

At 35,000 feet with enough of a horizon visible you can see the earths curvature.

Edited by Dumb Nuck