Jump to content

The Earth is flat.


The Earth is flat?  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Is the Earth flat?

    • Yes
      5
    • No
      16


Recommended Posts

I do wonder how many people today could actually prove the Earth is a sphere, just working from the ground up on experiments.

 

Appealing to experts isn't stupid, but there must be a lot of people who insult flat-Earthers without actually understanding the whats and hows of why they're wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 112 said:

I do wonder how many people today could actually prove the Earth is a sphere, just working from the ground up on experiments.

 

Appealing to experts isn't stupid, but there must be a lot of people who insult flat-Earthers without actually understanding the whats and hows of why they're wrong.

 

its not difficult. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html

 

The flat earthers know they are wrong, but the pull to be part of a counter-something group is too strong in them. Or maybe they really are just morons, someone has to be. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

 

its not difficult. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html

 

The flat earthers know they are wrong, but the pull to be part of a counter-something group is too strong in them. Or maybe they really are just morons, someone has to be. 

 

yeah I'm familiar with the shadow proof. I just don't think a lot of people would consider that idea without knowing it was done before.

 

iirc--and I could be wrong here--the flat Earther stuff came about from people trying to improve their logic, math and argumentation by supporting an erroneous position, and only after a while did people start taking the position seriously, missing the point of the exercises.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 112 said:

yeah I'm familiar with the shadow proof. I just don't think a lot of people would consider that idea without knowing it was done before.

 

iirc--and I could be wrong here--the flat Earther stuff came about from people trying to improve their logic, math and argumentation by supporting an erroneous position, and only after a while did people start taking the position seriously, missing the point of the exercises.

 

I think its the online equivalent of the folks that have to touch a hot stove or put their tongue on a frozen light pole. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

 

its not difficult. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html

 

The flat earthers know they are wrong, but the pull to be part of a counter-something group is too strong in them. Or maybe they really are just morons, someone has to be. 

 

I always thought the flat earth groups were for click bait and no one actually believed it but I was bored and read some of the replies and I guess it really shouldn't surprise me that some people really do believe it, seems to be a more of a religious thing though and taking the bible too literally.

  • ThereItIs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

 

I think its the online equivalent of the folks that have to touch a hot stove or put their tongue on a frozen light pole. 

That was tide pods, this is more of a lifestyle.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the earth is truly flat, wouldn't you sail off the fuckin edge? Unless someone out there is saying that the earth is flat and double sided like a piece of lined paper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gwarrior said:

If the earth is truly flat, wouldn't you sail off the fuckin edge? Unless someone out there is saying that the earth is flat and double sided like a piece of lined paper.

There’s an ice wall around the entire edge to prevent that, don’t you know anything?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

There’s an ice wall around the entire edge to prevent that, don’t you know anything?

Clearly I don't. Guess I'm too busy trying to be in a good place, and being the guy I need to be, and everyone needs me to be to worry about this minute bullshit🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Those flat earth people need to hold a convention in that Sphere in Vegas.

It would be hard to get them all together, they have members all around the globe.

  • Haha 2
  • chaos 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 9:12 AM, 112 said:

I do wonder how many people today could actually prove the Earth is a sphere, just working from the ground up on experiments.

 

Appealing to experts isn't stupid, but there must be a lot of people who insult flat-Earthers without actually understanding the whats and hows of why they're wrong.

Actually quite easy;

 

Go to the top of a tall building, if the earth was flat you'd see the same distance, if it's round you see further.

 

Grab a friend somewhere else on earth and observe the shadows.

 

Watch a sunset, when the sun vanishes quickly go up a hill and watch it set again.

 

Watch a ship disappear from bottom up as it sails out to sea.

 

Watch a lunar eclipse.

 

At 35,000 feet with enough of a horizon visible you can see the earths curvature.

 

 

Edited by Dumb Nuck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Are we launching it into space so they can see for sure?

You can't go to space, there's a dome around the earth, we basically live in  a snow globe.

  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...